PDA

View Full Version : Gun Collection

Bzcraig
03-12-2014, 12:25 AM
A friend of mine owns a pawn shop whose father (who died many years ago) started the business in 1949. I have known this guy for 42+ years but what I just recently found out was he has a collection of guns numbering 540+, I almost had an aneurysm. His father would take in guns that if not picked up would label what they were and add to the tag don't sell and guess what, he hasn't. He has no fewer than 12 Pythons the worse at about 85% and the best at 98%, numerous Garands and then pulled out a 94 chambered in 38-55, octagon and the serial number is 34, are you kidding me? Though he didn't dig out the paperwork he thought his dad acquired it in the 50's. It is a beauty bluing still very good with a beautiful patina, the wood is aged but almost perfect with tang sites. I picked up a revolver he ordered for my daughter so I didn't have time to see much but I will return for a lengthy visit to the gun vault. While I was fondling one of the Pythons (my favorite revolver of all time), he noticed the look in my eye and said "none of these are for sale, they will stay in the family." The only thing I could think to say was, "that sucks."

contender1
03-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Wow!
Those guns will stay in the family until a family member figures out they can make $$$ off them. Then they will all go.

Trey45
03-12-2014, 10:25 AM
I'd make an offer on that 38-55 myself!

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-12-2014, 10:28 AM
I'd give my left _ut and a few from someone else for a crack at the 38-55 :)

John Allen
03-12-2014, 10:36 AM
I would love to have an early 38-55 that is on my list of guns to always keep an eye out for along with a clean spencer

badbob454
03-12-2014, 10:53 AM
tell your friend , he has a hoarding problem and you will be happy to help him out with that ....[smilie=1:

WILCO
03-12-2014, 02:04 PM
he noticed the look in my eye and said "none of these are for sale, they will stay in the family." The only thing I could think to say was, "that sucks."

Not really. Maybe he'd let you join him on the range with one or two. :mrgreen:

osteodoc08
03-12-2014, 02:31 PM
That sounds like a very nice collection. While I aspire to have such a collection someday, I dont want to collect to just collect. That has no meaning to me. What I do collect are 41Mag chamberings. There are enough small nuances and limited editions to keep me chasing for a long, long time.

I'd also ask him to go shooting sometime. That'd be fun.

southpaw
03-13-2014, 03:55 PM
This is why I would be a horrible gun shop owner.. the selling part.

That sounds like you could spend some time there going through that collection.

Jerry Jr.

Artful
03-13-2014, 05:57 PM
I knew a guy in Oregon - didn't know for the longest time - he had a hidden room at the back of the garage that you entered thru the house - he collected Winchesters - he had a friend at the factory who glommed onto some of the factory "test" guns - his friend had a friend at the colt factory and they traded stuff - ever seen a 25-20 colt revolver and matching bolt action winchester? I was just wow'd.

bob208
03-14-2014, 08:18 AM
reminds me of a guy I knew 40 years ago. he owned a bar. well people would settle their tabs with guns or get money and give them for him to hold. one time he took me to his attic. thee was the largest collection I had ever seen. there was everything. nails were driven into the trusses. a pistol was hung on every one. a luger would be hanging between a iver johnsten .32 and a h&r .22. no rime or reason just how they came in. you would see a stack of old shot guns with a springfield musket mixed in. a pile of .22 rifle with a krag or a m1 or other good stuff.

pull the trigger
03-14-2014, 09:20 AM
Marry in to the family

TXGunNut
03-14-2014, 11:03 PM
With a collection like that good luck finding trading material he'd be interested in. They'll be for sale someday.
Can't see how anyone could actually enjoy 540 guns. Seems rather silly to me. Anything under about 525 would be OK tho, I guess. ;-)

.45Cole
03-15-2014, 11:20 PM
There's always BBQ ribs, a little whiskey, and hold'em