PDA

View Full Version : Puma .480 Ruger

Scrounger
12-24-2007, 08:34 PM
There's a Puma in .480 Ruger on one of the auction places setting at $350 with an hour or so to go. Stainless yet! My bidding finger is jumping like a spastic. I want to bid on it but I sure don't need it. Even if I got it reasonable, I'd have to buy dies, brass, molds and who knows what else... Help me resist.

Lloyd Smale
12-24-2007, 08:51 PM
I went and looked and its a good deal at that. i would have bid 375 on it myself but i aint going to bid against you. My buddys got the 16.5 inch stainless one and its a fine little levergun.

Scrounger
12-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Lloyd, $375 is my bid limit; if you want it more than that much, go ahead and bid. I know how you love those big cannons. It would probably be a good deed saving me from myself...

Scrounger
12-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Somebody got it for $380. I take it that's not you, Lloyd.

Lloyd Smale
12-25-2007, 06:48 AM
not me pal i didnt go back. I still want one though but would rather have the 16.5 inch ones. Problem is there a tad over 500 bucks new.

Scrounger
12-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Bidding (unsuccessfully) on that .480 yesterday caused an old urge to kick in, That of seeing large holes in targets. I briefly considered the .500 S&W in the HandiRifle but I still have some doubts about this rifle holding up for very long in a high pressure round like that. So we're back to 12 gauge slugs. I have an 870 in 12 gauge, and I think I have that newer Lyman sabot Slug mold. I believe I also have an extra 870 barrel that's rifled. The questions are these:
1. Will this Lyman Sabot Slug work better in a smooth barrel or a rifled barrel?
2. I think I want to mount a Red Dot scope, at least for testing. What do you recommend for scope mounts?
3. I will be interested in any experience anyone has had with this slug.

6pt-sika
12-25-2007, 03:15 PM
Bidding (unsuccessfully) on that .480 yesterday caused an old urge to kick in, That of seeing large holes in targets. I briefly considered the .500 S&W in the HandiRifle but I still have some doubts about this rifle holding up for very long in a high pressure round like that.

Let me see if I can be of some help [smilie=1:

Although I do not think it will be exactly what you were asking [smilie=1:

I "had" a Puma in 480 Ruger and when I traded it off it was STILL NIB . That rifle lets say didn't grow on me like Marlin's do .

I also happen to have a H&R Handi Rifle in 500 S&W MAG . This rifle I knida like . But let me say I shot exactly one dozen shots and had to return it to the manufacturer , the barrel release and transfer bar came out . Now they weren't factory loads , but they weren't hot handloads either . Anyway the rifle was sent back , fixed and returned in about 12 days . The thing shoots well , the only complaint I have ever the factory fixed the mechanical problem was the unadjustable trigger .

As far as slug guns are concerned I have a few of those as well .
At the moment I have a Savage 215 12 gauge bolt gun that will stay around here as long as I can hunt . This thing shoots any and all sabot slugs I put in it well !!!

Then there's the 12 gauge slug barrel for my Encore Pro Hunter . This thing shoots pretty decent with everything I have tried in it . However the scope mount is kinda Mickey Mouse .

Also have a couple 20 gauge slug guns . They are bothe H&R Ultra Slug Deluxe's . One is the normal 20 gauge for 2.75" and 3" slugs and shoots great with all the sabot slugs I've tried . Matter of fact this is the slug gun I reach for most of the time now !!!!

But here last week I got a second H&R 20 gauge Deluxe , but this one has a 3.5" chamber to shoot the Hasting's 3.5" 410 grain 2000 FPS slug.

It is my intention at some point to get the H&R Deluxe 12 gauge slugger as well . Just for trial purposes you might say hahahahaahaha !!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway those are my encounters with some of the things you asked about .

Oh by the way the triggers on the two 20 gauge sluggers are far above the trigger in the 500 S&W MAG .

Yance
12-25-2007, 06:25 PM
not me pal i didnt go back. I still want one though but would rather have the 16.5 inch ones. Problem is there a tad over 500 bucks new.

So find a "˘heep" 20 incher and spend half an hour on a friend's lathe.<G>

This one started life as an EMF 20" SRC.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j45/Yance_2006/Trapper1.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j45/Yance_2006/Trapper2.jpg

Lloyd Smale
12-26-2007, 07:35 AM
now thats cute!!! I personaly like blued better. Problem for me is im no gunsmith and for me to do that would just get me into another money pit. by the time i had the barrel shortened and crowned the mag tube shortened and the dovetail recut id be into more then a stainless gun. I wish theyd make a little short barreled blued 480 like that. That thing has goregous wood. Is that maple or walnut. It almost looks like maple but could be the way the light is shinning on it. Id about be emf didnt put that wood on there!

Yance
12-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Lloyd;

I'm just lucky to have a friend who has a small lathe, mill, and action wrenches and barrel vise.<G>

That's original EMF wood, previous owner just stripped the dark stain/finish and slapped on some Tru Oil. Grain looks like sap walnut. I've read that Rossi/Taurus actually does use real walnut for their EMF stocks.

freedom475
01-20-2008, 02:57 PM

I just got a new 480 like this and it appears to have nice wood hidden under a nasty dark oil finish....any idea what was used to strip the stock of your gun... this sure looks nice.

Thanks Freedom475