PDA

View Full Version : Cast my first today

snaketail
03-11-2014, 07:47 PM
I feel like a just joined the club - I cast my first boolits today. Of course they will all go back in the pot next time - ain't 'pose to look like walnuts...the mold was too cold at first.

Can't wait to get back to get the pot hot again tomorrow. Bunch of .45SAAs on the way...will post pix if I have better luck tomorrow.

Funny thing - I bought a pair of heavy gloves at Harbor Freight and remembered to wash up after I finished "casting." The sink turned black! I thought I'd done something awfully wrong - till I remembered where the gloves came from.

M

bangerjim
03-11-2014, 07:54 PM
You need to get real WELDERS GOLVES.... brown leather.....not those black work gloves they sell! My hands turned black after wearing some last summer in the AZ heat. Needless to say the pack of 6 pair went in the garbage!

You get what you pay for.

And welcome to the club/habit/madness. And so not be paranoid about "lead contamination". Just don't eat it and you will be fine. :lol:

banger

pretzelxx
03-11-2014, 08:12 PM
That's what leeches are for. Don't worry about it at all! Go hog wild and jump on.. not literally, lead is hot, but sounds like you had fun!

Baryngyl
03-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Get the HF kit that has the welding gloves/apron/welding rod holder, I use the gloves and apron when smelting lead into ingots and just the apron when casting bullets as the gloves are way to thick and heavy to work with the molds and smaller items.

Michael Grace