PDA

View Full Version : Frustration... with a company

cs86
03-11-2014, 04:46 PM
I'm sure there will be some different opinions on this, but I'd like to share and get some feedback on my experience. I'm not sure if I'm nit picking or if there is a legitimate reason of concern in the lead shooting world. I'd also like to know what thoughts are with the experience I had with Springfield.

I've recently bought a XDM tactical 5.25" .45ACP with great excitement to send some lead down range. I also own a 9mm XDM and .45ACP XDS. When I slugged my XDS I was surprised to see how tight the barrel was (groove slightly below .450). So upon ordering my tactical I expected with a match grade barrel that it would come close to the .450 groove diameter, but after slugging twice, it came out to .451 to .452 (slightly oval). I haven't shot it yet, but my initial fear is that I'll have to size at .453 to .454 and then worry about chambering the bullet. I'm sure some will tell me not to stew over it until I shoot it. Part of the reason I'm pondering this is because I had a Kimber with a similar situation, and I no longer own because of the problems it gave me with lead.

I decided to look at the SAAMI spec and see what the typical size is suppose to be and see what the tolerance is. I'm not completely certain that I'm reading it correctly, but it appears that groove diameter is suppose to be .450 with a +.004 tol. I thought I'd call Springfield and ask what their tolerance variation of there barrels are for the match grade barrels. I explained the difference in diameter between the XDS and the tactical that I own. I also explained that my intent was to shoot lead and that fit was the primary concern.

Customer service didn't seem to have much of a clue, so he sent me on to the next guy that was suppose to be knowledgeable of my concerns. He seemed to think powder and how much heat it produced made more of a difference then fit. He said he thought I was overlooking it and I should be fine with anything I shoot out of it. I thought I'd be talking to a competent person that probably seen questions like this, but felt they had no experience with shooting lead.

This community has taught me that fit is king and that .001 can make a difference. I have experienced when the fit isn't working I pay the consequence of scrubbing. Am I nit picking over the new barrel for a good reason? Do you think customer support handled it right?

Jupiter7
03-11-2014, 04:57 PM
I think you frustration is in vain til you shoot it. I'd try the standby .452 boolit from soft alloy and see what happens. You may be surprised that it's just fine.

Wayne Smith
03-11-2014, 05:17 PM
First thing to do is see if it will chamber a boolit at .453 or .454. If it will you are good to go. If it won't see if it leads with .452. I say this because I am 40 minutes from the range and it is easier to check chambering than to check leading.

12DMAX
03-11-2014, 05:21 PM
Other than you wont know until you try i can offer you free of charge some 452374RN and 45-201-swc .453 dia lubed or dry to try if that is the route you choose to take.

Tom

cs86
03-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Other than you wont know until you try i can offer you free of charge some 452374RN and 45-201-swc .453 dia lubed or dry to try if that is the route you choose to take.

I actually have bullets sized to .452 that I loaded for the gun before I even got it. I figured if they didn't work for the tactical I'd shoot them out of the XDS. I just don't have a sizer in .453 or .454. I would have to cast some, leave them unsized and see if I hit .453 or .454. I'm hoping I can cast for 2 guns without having to keep track of different diameters. Thanks

MostlyLeverGuns
03-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Shooting is the only proof, I have rifles that would completely fail any borescope advertisement and they shoot very well indeed.

Walter Laich
03-11-2014, 06:58 PM
I do understand the problems with two different bullet sizes for two barrels that should take the same sized bullets.
Hate to agree with the others but shooting is the only 'real' way to find out. I've had some that should lead because of their diameter but don't. Can even feel the difference in recoil using the same bullet size.
Good luck and keep us informed

JimA
03-11-2014, 07:59 PM
My XDm and my XDs both love .452 200 grain LSWC. Give your .452 boolits a try.

freebullet
03-11-2014, 08:13 PM
Every xd I've owned I loved. Never slugged them didn't need to, standards sizes have worked . Shoot a few hundred jbulls then load some standard size lead and go shoot some more. Fit is king but you may not have any problem. Don't worry till there is an issue, give it a chance. GO SHOOT THE CARP OUT OF THEM, that's what I'd do.

cs86
03-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the input. I think another thought that ran through my head was if the manufacturer was out of their preferred tolerance for a target gun that they would be more likely to trade for another barrel if I hadn't shot out of it yet. I will have to see if I can get some range time this weekend and see what the outcome is.