PDA

View Full Version : Poor cap fit on a Colt Dragoon

tacotime
03-11-2014, 01:58 PM
This is a 2nd Generation 1st model Dragoon. The #10 caps do not fit well - too tight and want to split at the skirt. Do I have the wrong caps or do the nipples need to be honed down a bit? The gun has only been fired a few times. Thanks.

Maven
03-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Have you tried to fit a #11 cap on those nipples?

starnbar
03-11-2014, 04:33 PM
If the 11s are a little bit loose pinch them a bit between your fingers so they area bit oblong instead of round and they will stay on tight.

Dan Cash
03-11-2014, 04:50 PM
For my Ruger old Army, I keep two sets of nipples; the original which were #11 if memory serves, and a second set which were dressed with a fine file with the nipple chucked in a drill press. The modified nipples fit #10 caps. Best of both worlds. In your case, I think I would dress the nipples in the gun and order a new set for #11 caps.

tacotime
03-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Actually I have some #11's but I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the only difference in 10's and 11's was the length of the skirt! So I didn't think it would help to try them...

mooman76
03-11-2014, 11:40 PM
Different manufacturers make different cap sizes. Some fit tighter or looser and some have a taper or different taper. Sometimes you even find a lot from the same manufacture that fir different. I'd try some other caps first if you can find some (before modifying the nipples) or like Dan Cash get another set you can swap out.

Captain*Kirk
03-12-2014, 12:10 AM
Remington #10s are longer than the CCIs and fit my revolvers better, including my Uberti Dragoon. That being said, there are differences between manufacturers. If a #10 from one man. is too tight, try the next size up. If that seems too loose, try a #10 from a different manufacturer. You should be able to come up with the right combination without having to squeeze caps.

Texantothecore
03-12-2014, 11:58 AM
Remington caps are a bit wider than CCIs. Try that and see if they work.
CCI #10 = .160 wide
Remington #10 =.167 wide

Hickok
03-12-2014, 01:18 PM
If you can find a size cap that fits tight, it is easy to dress down the cones (nipples) for a good fit.

Battis
03-12-2014, 03:54 PM
From an old Colt Industries pamphlet:
"Percussion caps are now made in sizes from nine to thirteen. Ten and eleven are the best numbers for the small and medium-sized arms, and twelve for the larger sizes, although, as different-sized nipples are sometimes met in specimens of the same model, no hard and fast rule can be given. It is better to have caps slightly too large than too small, as large caps can be pinched together at the bottom enough so they will stay on the nipples, but small ones must be driven down on the nipple by the blow of the hammer, and this process frequently cushions the blow to the extent of producing a misfire."

Texantothecore
03-13-2014, 03:29 PM
I just read some reviews on caps and apparently Remington #10 s work quite well. CCIs are too tight.

nekshot
03-13-2014, 05:07 PM
And where I ask do you find all these differant caps to try your expieriments? I can't even find a thing that resembles a cap around here any where let alone try find 22's!

Driver man
03-13-2014, 05:25 PM
I ask the same question. No caps of any size or make are currently available in NZ. 22 lr we have by the bucket full. No shortage and never has been except perhaps for cci subsonic, just starting to run out.

Texantothecore
03-13-2014, 08:00 PM
There is a thread below in which we discuss how to successfully make your own caps. The thread starts out with "forster is getting calls about their tapacap" or something close to that.

It is really a good thread.

nekshot
03-14-2014, 09:02 PM
yup, been reading everything here on making caps. I am assembling info before I act! This all makes rock locks really look good and that is part of my delima. Try convert most of what I have to flints or screw around with making caps because they are not here except at Bass Amature and those are expensive and never instock when I ask.

Texantothecore
03-15-2014, 10:56 AM
At Bass Amateur you can order them and pick them up at the store. No hazmat fee.

I am also drifting towards a rocklock, but haven't bought one yet.