PDA

View Full Version : Odd problem with cast bullets

Hunter
03-10-2014, 11:31 PM
I have been having a bit of trouble with .45 and .40 bullets.
I am casting a 200gr LSWC and sizing it to .452" and a 175gr truncated cone sized to .401" and then to .400".

About 20% of the loaded bullets will not go into the go no go gauge. I am doing a full length resize.
I was having trouble with a Lonewolf barrel for my G20. About 20% of the rounds would only go about half way in the chamber. I do realize the Lonewolf chamber is tight but I have had no issues with .400" fmj chambering. I also ran into this problem with my Delta Elite. Zero issues with factory rounds or fmj reloads but like I said about 20% of my loaded cast bullets won't chamber but about half way.
I am belling the case just a bit to seat the bullet but I am removing the bell when I seat the bullet.

I have not had the issue with the factory Glock barrel but as we all know, it has a pretty generous chamber.

I am casting straight wheel weights that are around 19 bhn after water quenching. I have measured the brass, measured the bullets, and I still cannot figure out what is going on.

MtGun44
03-11-2014, 12:48 AM
"loaded bullets" - I assume you mean "loaded cartridges". I would increase
the taper crimp. For .45 ACP I TC to .468 or a bit tighter at the case mouth.

I'll bet this solves your problem.

IME, inadequate TC is one of THE most common problems. Folks seem somehow
worried about the mythical "excessive taper crimp". . . . . . never have seen it happen
and cause any measureable bad effect.

And - no need for water quenching, for certain, for the .45 ACP. Actually for .45 ACP,
you can cut the wwts with one part or even two parts of pure and air cool and still
get excellent results. 19 BHN is entirely unnecessary for .45 ACP and may actually
be harmful if your fit is a bit loose, causing leading.

Bill

Echo
03-11-2014, 01:57 AM
+1 , Bill.

Hunter
03-11-2014, 02:10 AM
Thank you all. Yes, I meant bullets I loaded into a case.

I have measured the offending cases, same brass and it will be .003" larger than one that will chamber.
I pulled a few bullets that gave trouble were. 400"
I measured the hardness at 19 bhn.
I have had the same issue be it a progressive or single stage.

Jupiter7
03-11-2014, 10:39 AM
Forget the ammo gauge also. The best ammo gauge you can buy came with your guns. Disassemble your gun(s) and take the barrel to the bench, chamber check every round as it leaves the crimp die.

MtGun44
03-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Increase taper crimp.

Bill

Hunter
03-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Thank you all.
I am using the barrel chamber in conjunction with the go no go gauge. I will give increase taper crimp and see what that does and post back.

MtGun44
03-12-2014, 02:07 AM
Good, I will be interested in your results.

Bill

Radarsonwheels
03-12-2014, 02:07 PM
I had the same problem. I didn't feel like trimming 45acp brass to get a dead nuts crimp so instead I segregate my brass by headstamp- aguila and federal get done in seperate progressive loader runs. Otherwise they tend to buckle and crush when crimped to the spot where RP and herters and speer etc are happy. I still have a small reject rate probably because the cast stuff is sized bigger than jacketed. I squeeze that stuff down and iron out the wrinkles in a Lee factory crimp die. That ammo gets saved for blasting not slow fire.

trixter
03-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Wow, I don't quite know why you are having troubles unless it it the sizing of the raw boolits. Mine come out of the mold at 452 to 453, and I size them to 451 using my "on loan" Star lube/sizer. Then run them through the system and have the crimp die set to take them to 468. They drop in the gauge, as well as the barrel and fall out freely. My Springfield XDm gobbles them up. No leading. I am using smelted range scrap. I have head stamps from every imaginable maker there is, and have never even checked them, just load em and shoot em, then polish them. You know, you gotta look good!

shooter93
03-12-2014, 06:45 PM
I think they are right with increasing the taper crimp. I now with my 10 mm Dan Wesson if the loaded round measures more the .423 at the case mouth it won't chamber fully. Took me awhile to catch on because this gives more of a "bump" feeling on the press than I experience with my 45's.

garym1a2
03-12-2014, 07:03 PM
Sometimes I just have to break out the Lee factory crimp die and fix mine that don't work. Mostly for my 9mm lone wolf and 40 KKM. My storm lake barrels don't seem to have this need.