PDA

View Full Version : Shot loads in a rifle???

GunnyJohn
03-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Does anyone have any successful experience with shot loads in a rifle? I was thinking about small game and grouse. It might be fun. I have a .54 cal rifle. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Do I need to explain to my wife why I need to buy a muzzle loading shotgun? Info please. Thanks.

Outpost75
03-10-2014, 10:53 PM
You need to explain to your wife how you need a 28-ga. smoothbore Northwest Trade Gun, which will shoot either shot or ball.

str8shot426
03-10-2014, 10:54 PM
I recall a gentleman years back using a 28ga. Wad in one of his muzzle loading rifles. I believe it was a .54 cal. An over shot card would be used.

Omnivore
03-10-2014, 11:21 PM
Well if my and other's results from a pistol are any indication, the twist imparted to the shot load will cause the shot to spread wildly as soon as it leaves the barrel. At ten feet, a load of shot from a 44 revolver spread out beyond the 8.5 x 11" target I was using, and left a rather empty, or untouched, portion in the center. It's been described as a doughnut pattern. At 25 yards you'd need a large barn wall to see the pattern. It's like having a "reverse choke" from Hades. I'd say forget it and get yo-sef a good smoothie.

Omnivore
03-10-2014, 11:28 PM
A revolver of Naval caliber or a Crockett 36 cal rifle would also be a good choice for small game, but for upland fowling, a regular fowling piece or a "smoothe rifle" is the way to go.

Eddie2002
03-11-2014, 09:46 AM
I tried about 50 #8 pellets in a .62 caliber flintlock pistol just for hoots and hollers. At 15 yards the shot pattern was about 4-5 feet. Haven't tried it in a rifle yet. Don't reinvent the wheel, just get a smoothbore.

Boaz
03-11-2014, 09:19 PM
I have a 50 cal smoothbore 'rifle'I bought to use on small game 12 or so years ago . it worked fine . Used patch and card with 4 shot . Still got the gun , thinking about putting on sale and trade since I don't use it anymore , don't do much hunting now . Shooting shot in a rifled barrel will not work unless you get REAL close to your prey . LOL

CastingFool
03-11-2014, 09:51 PM
I think Remington and Marlin once offered .22 rifles with what was called a "Routledge Bore" and was intended to shoot .22 cal shotshells. A section of the barrel was bored out and allowed the shot to stay together longer, for better patterns. I also remember reading an article on Guns & Ammo about taking a Ruger 10/22 barrel, boring it out to accept a sleeve with a smooth bore. The patterns with shotshells were really improved. I can't remember the exact bore diameter of the sleeve, but you definitely did not want to shoot regular .22 bullets at all.

Good Cheer
03-12-2014, 07:41 AM
Does anyone have any successful experience with shot loads in a rifle? I was thinking about small game and grouse. It might be fun. I have a .54 cal rifle. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Do I need to explain to my wife why I need to buy a muzzle loading shotgun? Info please. Thanks.

Tried it in a .45 Kentucky starting about 1977. Probably a 48" twist but not sure. It sprayed a spotty pattern. Didn't try it critters. At this time I'm waiting on a 31" .50 smoothie barrel for a flinter Traditions Deerhunter that always goes bang. Think it going to be the do all critter getter for southeast Texas.

dnepr
03-12-2014, 10:17 AM
I played with this years ago , I used #4 shot , the pattern wasn't great but I remember thinking I could take a grouse with it , this was with a 54 cal TC hawkens . 1in 48 twist , don't remember much else about it

kopperl
03-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Used to shoot grouse with bb's out of a 54 cal TC. Think the little bags came from herters. Powder, wad, shot bag and wad.
Didn't work very well.

bangerjim
03-17-2014, 03:11 PM
I load 170gn of #7 shot in a 45LC over ~4gn of TightGroup or other fast powder. Put a paper disc down on the powder (HF punch set!), add the shot, and cap it off with an aluminum gas check turned upside down. You have to run the GC thru your sizing die 1st to shrink it down to fit in the case. Medium roll crimp and you're ready to go.

Shoot them out of a lever 45 all the time. Decent short-range spread. Great for snakes and other varmints. Also works in 45 revolvers. I use them in my Judge rather than paying the ridiculous price for 410 shells to plink with!

banger

Col4570
03-18-2014, 01:50 AM
Shot works well in a slow twist barrel.My one in one hundred and twenty long rifle 50 cal is good for one ounce on top of 70 grains BP.http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/KentuckyLongRifleJan2012001.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/KentuckyLongRifleJan2012001.jpg.html)