PDA

View Full Version : New mold lube, I really like this stuff

gray wolf
03-10-2014, 09:19 PM
I couldn't stand the boredom any longer so today it was 30* and sunny ( it was gosh darn cold )
But it has been very cold here in Maine so today seem like a good day.
I looked outside at the snow covered ground and Julie looked at me and shook her head horizontally as to say:
NO! your not going to cast ? I shook my head vertically as to say yes I am.
She said your 72 years old and your going to stand out in this cold ? I said I am 22 you just can't count.
I C-clamped a 2X2 piece of ply wood to the deck rail and put card board around the part of the Lee 20 pound pot to keep the cold out and let the thermostat read correctly
and not go into thermal runaway ( it didn't help )
I had to keep pulling the plug every time the pot temp tried to get above 725* A bit of a trick but doable.
I was able to cast 250 very nice 357 bullets in about 45 Minutes.
The point of all this is I got to try the new mold lube that BTROJ recommended in this thread.
Well it worked VERY well, No lead on top of the Iron mold, no lead on top of a brass mold. And just the smallest hint of a smear ( very little wiped off with a rag ) on the bottom of the sprue plate around the holes.
I like it, I put the oil in a syringe and put a few ( 3 or 4 drops on a 2"X2" piece of old T-shirt and just rubbed the parts of the mold to be lubed, You could hardly see it was there. ( don't over do it )
The bottle I got was about 8OZ. I think, and I expect to will it to some luck person that survives this old geezer.
Thank you Sir for some good advise. The Lube is mentioned in a sticky called Mold lube.
It's worth a look see.

Gray wolf

btroj
03-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Glad that it worked well for you. I really like the stuff. I have plenty left from lube experiments.

cbrick
03-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Was that the stuff with the yellow die ? If so I bought a bottle a little bit ago but haven't cast yet so haven't tried it. But I will. :mrgreen:

Rick

gray wolf
03-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Mine does not have the die, come on Rick get out there and cast a few.

btroj
03-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Rick, it is good stuff. The yellow die lets you use a black light to verify the mould surfaces a re fully coated.......

That yellow die made for some neat lubes, nothing like a fluorescent yellow lube.

gray wolf
03-10-2014, 10:16 PM
I see now ! so you use it for lube also EH.

btroj
03-10-2014, 10:23 PM
The lube use is how I came across it in the first place. Gear suggested I try it in place of synthetic 2 stroke and see what happened. Lube didn't pan put extremely well but when I put some on a mould it was WOW!

fourarmed
03-11-2014, 03:07 PM
So what is this stuff?

cbrick
03-11-2014, 03:35 PM
So what is this stuff?

Here ya go . . .

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?227043-Mould-lube

Rick

Cherokee
03-11-2014, 08:06 PM
I printed that out back in Jan and plan to try some, nice to get some more input on it. Have to go find some now.

cbrick
03-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Rick, it is good stuff. The yellow die lets you use a black light to verify the mould surfaces a re fully coated........

Black lights? No, no black lights for me thanks. Haven't had a black light since the 60's when I learned that hippies were all lunatics.

Rick

btroj
03-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Me either Rick but it sure made some people think.........

prs
03-11-2014, 08:57 PM
I got a bottle of that too, and dang; I wonder what I did with it? I hope to cast this weekend, if it warms-up after this next cold wave.

prs

cbrick
03-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Me either Rick but it sure made some people think.........

:hijack:

Think? Most hippies never thought about anything except where to get more drugs and how to get a free handout.

Rick

btroj
03-11-2014, 10:33 PM
I meant the people here, some of them seem easily distracted.

JimA
03-12-2014, 06:18 AM
I tried the ester oil you guys use the other day. It works great. Like the OP, I think my bottle will last a whole lot longer than me...

Radarsonwheels
03-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Black lights? No, no black lights for me thanks. Haven't had a black light since the 60's when I learned that hippies were all lunatics.

Rick

Geez man so I guess now you just sit in the dark with your psychadelic black velvet concert posters?
I'm using antisieze lightly applied with a q-tip. What are the advantages of other lubes?

cbrick
03-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Radar, do a search on this site for Bull Plate, for sprue plate lube it is far superior to anti-seize. That's by far the more common mold lube, the one discussed in this thread is the new kid on the block though supposedly works well. I use anti-seize too but only on threads in aluminum blocks.

Rick

geargnasher
03-12-2014, 09:42 PM
The lube use is how I came across it in the first place. Gear suggested I try it in place of synthetic 2 stroke and see what happened. Lube didn't pan put extremely well but when I put some on a mould it was WOW!

...and Eutectic suggested it to me for a boolit lube ingredient in the first place, so we can kinda blame it all on him! :kidding:

Five tablespoons Ester 100, four tablespoons Maxima K2 Racing ester two-cycle engine oil, and a large (fourish-ounce) bar of Ivory soap makes a fantastic boolit lube for pistol applications.

Gear