PDA

View Full Version : Magtech Berdan Primers

kywoodwrkr
12-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know what size the berdan primers are for the Magtech brass shotshell cases sold by Grafs.
They are closed till Wednesday or I would call them.
Anyone come up with any answer(replacement?) to the berdan primer in these?
Am aware of the LR primed Magtech cases.
Have a 45 Colt T/C barrel which appears to have been rechambered to use 410 shotgun shells.:(
Thanks.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

BudRow
12-24-2007, 06:16 PM
I believe they are Large Rifle Boxers.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-24-2007, 06:25 PM
All the Magtech shells I have use large rifle boxer primers.
Morgan

NSP64
12-24-2007, 08:33 PM
didn't the 45 colt TC barrels come from the factory chambered for the 45/410 combo?:confused:

Buckshot
12-25-2007, 02:17 AM
All the Magtech shells I have use large rifle boxer primers.
Morgan

The NEW Magtech brass shotshells take large pistol primers. The old Magtech brass shotshells took a berdan primer they called the #56. These were as worthless as a liberal's promise of reduced gov't spending. If you looked at them hard they'd pierce.

These things mike according to my Brown and Sharpe, .253" OD and are slightly domed. They're .105" from the rim to the dome.

Don't know what's up, but these Berdan primed hulls are easily converted to take 209 primers, below:

http://www.fototime.com/FB833F810B2C0FE/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/2814C9B404C7122/standard.jpg

De and re-priming tools.

................Buckshot

Powderpacker
12-25-2007, 09:09 AM
didn't the 45 colt TC barrels come from the factory chambered for the 45/410 combo?:confused:

Yes - at least some of them did. I had one, briefly. I couldn't get .45's to shoot well and the 410 patterns were huge and wide open .

kywoodwrkr
12-25-2007, 09:21 AM
Bought one from a seller(ROSTOV) whom I always felt was a fairly honest appraiser of his items.
He said about this one 10" BULL BARREL. SHOWS WEAR IN WORKING AND FOREND AREAS.
Well wear was two rusty pitted areas-not wear.
Guess I check another seller off the watch list.
I'll try modifying some of the Magtech brass cases and see what happens.
Maybe this one was chambered for 410 from the factory.
Thanks all.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

Powderpacker
12-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Dave-
Check the muzzle of your barrel . Mine had a screw-in gizmo that was supposed to be removed when .45's were fired. It was sort of like a choke tube and was supposed to be in place when shooting 410's but the one I had seemed to spread the pattern rather than tighten it .

MT Gianni
12-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Dave-
Check the muzzle of your barrel . Mine had a screw-in gizmo that was supposed to be removed when .45's were fired. It was sort of like a choke tube and was supposed to be in place when shooting 410's but the one I had seemed to spread the pattern rather than tighten it .

+2 for the spread patterns and a really long throat. Gianni

Ricochet
12-25-2007, 12:01 PM
As I recall that muzzle attachment had straight grooves in it that were supposed to stop the rotation imparted by the rifling to a shot charge, with the idea being to reduce the spread of the shot. I never had one, don't know how that worked out.

kywoodwrkr
12-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Have a couple of 44's with the screw in choke.
This is just a bull barrel which has a 410 chamber. At least it does now!
Going to try some 444 brass and see what it does when I get a chance.
This is a 'spring' project anyway but wanted to decide if I want to keep it or send it back.
I'll lose shipping going back so may just ride it out.
Won't be first thing I kept like this.
Thaks all.
DaveP kywoodwrkr