PDA

View Full Version : Do you coat your boolits after sized & lubed?

DeadWoodDan
03-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Was just curious for long term storage or even areas with high/low humidity flucuations such as IL. In the past i have had members send me samples to try before purchasing a new mold and those were coated with something? I have a large batch that I am beginning to lube/size/GC and am worried that the lube may pull out from sticking to one another??

Should I coat my boolits and if so with what?

Thanks for the advice
DWD

BABore
03-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Motor Mica from Ballistic Products. Put them in a gallon Ziplok bag with a good pinch and tumble around to coat. Works well with alox coated boolits too.

DeadWoodDan
03-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Is powdered grahphite the same thing? was going to check the local hardware store...

whisler
03-10-2014, 08:10 PM
Powdered graphite is not the same but should also work.

pls1911
03-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Powdered graphite is better regarding lubricity, but its very fine, very black and will aggressively be everywhere.
I'd recommend a coating of jpw/lla. not sticky and very slick.
In fact, I always do this anyway, and have bever had a trace of leading with gas checked bullets.
yes, it's probably overkill, but it works for me!

bangerjim
03-12-2014, 12:09 PM
You can even get mica powder at hobby stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby. It is normally in multicolor packs, but is forms of mica.

banger

gwpercle
03-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Dan,
I live in Louisiana, lots of heat humidity and this year freezing temps, Been casting for years here.. I use soft lube that doesn't need a heater to flow. My method is to lube/size then stack them , side by side, in little boxes or small plastic containers, in two layers with the bottom layer seperated from the top layer with a piece of thin cardboard. Keeps them from getting all beat up and nothing sticks...no need for dusting with anything.
Gary