PDA

View Full Version : The small things in life......

waco
03-09-2014, 09:01 PM
I just lost my dad two weeks ago. It's been hard on me and the family. My brother came over today and we cast a few hundred .22 Bators and a couple hundred NOE 360477 SWC Boolits.

It just felt right being out in the shop casting boolits like we always have in the past. I'm sure dad would have wanted nothing less. Dad always got a kick out of the fact I could make bullets out of old wheel weights. He was not a reloader or caster himself, but loved the fact that us boys were into it.

60 years young is too early to pass on. I'll try to make you proud dad. I love you pops.

Walter

propwashp47
03-09-2014, 09:21 PM
sorry for your loss Waco, 60 is too young, your dad still lives through his two fine sons. and I know your dad is all ways proud of you both. may GOD bless you and keep you both. don richardson

osteodoc08
03-09-2014, 09:37 PM
I'm sorry for your loss Waco. I just lost my father last may at 57. Yes, way to young.

My brother and I also loaded up some ammo to shoot a few days after his death. I'm still waiting on him to find time for us to go shoot. His birthday is this week so I'm hoping we can go this weekend coming up. He'd like that (dad). My brother wasn't I to shooting much. Must less reloading.

I'm sure he is smiling down on the both of you.

My prayers for your and your family's healing.

rintinglen
03-09-2014, 09:52 PM
My condolences.
I lost both my parents in 2006, two months apart. Oh, how I know that hurt.
Damn, I'm 60. Gather ye rosebuds whilst ye may, for no man is promised tomorrow.

DLCTEX
03-09-2014, 10:31 PM
I lost my mother at age 59 to the same heart rythem problem I am in the hospital with. I agree that is way too young. That's been 27 years and I constantly think of things I need to ask her. Prayers sent for you and family.

MaryB
03-09-2014, 11:56 PM
Weekend of my dad's funeral this summer we were all up at the house on the lake mom and dad built in the mid 80's. Mom flat out told us to get the heck out of the house and go swim/fish/have fun, dad would have expected it.

35 shooter
03-10-2014, 12:06 AM
So sorry to hear about your dad. Mine was 75 when he passed and that was still too soon for me. Just remember all he taught you and pass all of it along when you can. Keep all the good memories close to your heart and you'll find he's still there. I know mine is. Lots of prayers will be with you.

Idaho Mule
03-10-2014, 08:18 AM
Sorry for your loss, waco. Keep loading and shooting as it always seems to bring on the good memories. JW

Cherokee
03-10-2014, 09:11 AM
Both my parents are gone now - my regrets for your pain of loss.

Artful
03-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Sympathies to your family for your loss.
cherish the time you have left with your mother
- tell all that you care about how you feel about them whenever you get a chance too - life is short

mold maker
03-10-2014, 09:29 AM
I share your pain.
My parents died at 87 and 93. One life time is never enough.
Enjoy the memories and pass them on, to another generation. That way they will always be with you.

Trinidad Bill
03-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Sorry for your loss Waco. When I go, I hope my sons do the same!

mdi
03-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Sorry to hear that Waco, my condolences. When I'm faced with a huge loss like that, I like to think on my Sunday School teaching; "They ain't dead, they're just having a good time with Jesus..."

God Bless

bedbugbilly
03-10-2014, 04:00 PM
waco . . my sincere condolences to you and your family in your time of loss. It's never easy . . . I lost my Dad 19 years ago and my mother 9 years ago. I'm 61 . . . it will take time and I don't think a person ever gets truly over the loss but the good memories you have is what will see you through. I somehow have a feeling that your Dad was right there with you boys as you cast . . smiling and enjoying his sons togetherness. My Dad was much the same way . . . he didn't always do the same things I liked to, but he enjoyed seeing his children doing things that brought them enjoyment.

One of the things my Dad always said was . . . "The measure of a successful man isn't how many material things he gathers in his lifetime or the riches he accumulates . . . the measure of a successful man is if he leaves this world a little better off than it was when he got here." Sounds to me like your Dad was a pretty successful man . . . who left some might fine children.

Your Dad will always be watching over you and whether you believe it or not, he will leave signs for you to let you know . . no matter how simple they may be, watch for them and they will bring the inner peace you seek.

pls1911
03-11-2014, 11:32 PM
Blessings and comfort to all.

Springfield
03-11-2014, 11:39 PM
I lost my Mom when I was 17 and my Dad when I was 44, just before my wife had our first kid. Still miss them both and wish they could have seen how well their grandkids are doing.

wch
03-12-2014, 08:36 AM
I never really thought about what my folks taught me until they passed, and now I hear myself telling my kids the same things.
Pass on the goodness to yours.

Foto Joe
03-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Both of my parents have been gone for a number of years now, Mom first then Dad eight years later. My dad got me started hunting bunnies in the oil fields of Wyoming when I was six or seven, there were always tons of rabbits simply because it was posted "No Hunting". Over the years we did a lot of things together and the memories of riding motorcycles or flying airplanes all over the western United States will be with me always. He wasn't the type of man who expressed himself to his son very often but in the end he confided to my wife who he loved dearly. What she told me about their conversations helped me immensely when he passed away. No matter what your beliefs are Waco you'll need to understand that your dad really is still with you. He'll live on through your experiences together and you'll find yourself talking to him from time to time just because that's what you need.

My grandfather who was born in 1900 used to tell me to enjoy being a kid because I'd miss it some day. Take care and enjoy life as it's shorter than most of us think when we're young.

smoked turkey
03-12-2014, 11:09 AM
God created us with the ability to remember our past. This can be bad but it can also be a good thing. As I read through the posts in this thread, my mind wandered back to my dad and things that he instilled in me that I had not thought about for a long time. Things like hunting with our beagles and fishing with an old boat and a motor that never did run right. These kinds of good memories will get you through. You won't ever forget your dad waco, and that is the way it should be. As stated above, life is short so make the best of every day the good Lord gives you. Life is a gift and we should all learn to use it wisely.

jimb16
03-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Appreciate them while they are with us, because they are always gone too soon.

oscarflytyer
03-12-2014, 10:34 PM
In the end, it is ALL about the small things in life!!! Kudos to you and your brother, and sorry for your loss. We have been there lately, and doing a lot of things to make sure that my family - 5 boys and 2 DIL's - do as much fun/outdoor/shooting/hunting/fishing/canoeing/kayaking/grilling/camping/darts/etc FAMILY stuff together that we can!