PDA

View Full Version : Vv n 105 ?

butch2570
03-09-2014, 02:24 PM
My LGS has and has had for over a year , about 11 pounds of n 105 on the shelf along with 5000 6.5 Remington primers , which I'm aware of the dangers of shooting in high pressure cartridges. My question are since I have never used either of these two before can someone tell me is this powder any good for anything other than heavy full house loads in a 44 and 357 mag , can it be reduced back and how clean is it? And could these primers be used in low pressure 222 rem loads or be used in low velocity 38 / 357 mag loads without any issues?

Bonz
03-09-2014, 02:29 PM
I use VV N105 in my .357 "light" loads by choice, 10grns under a 158grn bullet (about 1000 fps) and also in my S&W 500 mag, 27grns under a 350grn bullet (about 1600fps)

Tatume
03-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Very slow pistol powders should not be used in reduced loads. N105 is suitable for full powder loads in 357 Magnum and 44 Magnum as you already know. Starting load for a 158 jacketed bullet gives 1400 fps. It is not suitable for reduced loads.

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-reloading-data/relodata/6/27

Also, I believe Remington specifically states that 6-1/2 primers are not for use in 222 or 223 Remington rifle cartridges.

butch2570
03-09-2014, 02:50 PM
Very slow pistol powders should not be used in reduced loads. N105 is suitable for full powder loads in 357 Magnum and 44 Magnum as you already know. Starting load for a 158 jacketed bullet gives 1400 fps. It is not suitable for reduced loads.

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-reloading-data/relodata/6/27

Also, I believe Remington specifically states that 6-1/2 primers are not for use in 222 or 223 Remington rifle cartridges.

Yeah , you are right about the full pressure rifle loads, I was curious if anyone had reduced pressure loads in a 222 that was equivalent to 22 hornet full house loads and had used these primers without issues at lower pressures.

Tatume
03-09-2014, 03:50 PM
I will not recommend a practice that the component manufacturer specifically warns against. That would be foolish.

lwknight
03-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Sometimes hard times call for cutting your own road. However I do not see success with this endeavor.
Even slower magnum pistol powders are too fast for bottleneck cases with typical bullet loads.
It may be possible to use a very light bullet with magnum pistol powder in a 223 but the velocity would probably destroy the bullet unless you had a very slow twist. There again it does not like any good can come from it in this case.

Either way, you will teetering on maybe it could work and maybe its just going to be a radical balance.

butch2570
03-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Sometimes hard times call for cutting your own road. However I do not see success with this endeavor.
Even slower magnum pistol powders are too fast for bottleneck cases with typical bullet loads.
It may be possible to use a very light bullet with magnum pistol powder in a 223 but the velocity would probably destroy the bullet unless you had a very slow twist. There again it does not like any good can come from it in this case.

Either way, you will teetering on maybe it could work and maybe its just going to be a radical balance.

I was asking TWO seperate questions on the post, first was n 105 capable of being reduced back somewhat in a 44 mag and 357mag that still gave good performance and does it burn clean , and secondly could the rem 6 1/2 primer be used in a reduced cast load of a 222 rem where the cup pressure is not upwards of 43,000 , which is what the maximum cup pressure for a 22 hornet is ,and that's the threshold of cup pressure for that primer allowable by remington. And has anyone tried these primers in a small pistol case where the pressure were kept again, well below the 40,000 cup range ,say for example 14 grains of sr4759 in a 357 mag which according to Lyman is 30,100 cup which is well below the 43,000 cup recommendation of remington. I was NOT ASKING about shooting N 105 in a bottleneck case.

lwknight
03-09-2014, 05:37 PM
I was just following some other posts since I have no idea what.

My LGS has and has had for over a year , about 11 pounds of n 105 means.

As for the 6-1/2 primer in a reduced load around 30k , I would have no bones about it.
The small rifle primers are tougher than small pistol primers and we push 30+ with them everyday. The 9X19mm especially.

butch2570
03-09-2014, 06:21 PM
I was just following some other posts since I have no idea what.
means.

As for the 6-1/2 primer in a reduced load around 30k , I would have no bones about it.
The small rifle primers are tougher than small pistol primers and we push 30+ with them everyday. The 9X19mm especially.
I'm very sorry,i never thought about that, that means Local Gun Store, i can get a good buy on this because no one in this area shoots V V powder they feel it's
too costly ,on the shelf for 31.00/lb that's not bad for 11 pounds and no shipping / hazmat fees and he has had it for a while. The primers i guess people are shying away from because of the high intensity warning on the box for high pressure loads,and not many people here shoot a 22 hornet or 218 bee or other lower pressure rounds. I would try it if i knew it would fit in with some of the things i'm loading for. I very rarely look for a max load in any thing i shoot unless it just happens to be what gives the best ,most reliable groups without any pressure signs .The gongs and critters i shoot can't tell the difference of 2- 300 fps at reasonable ranges anyway.