PDA

View Full Version : LAR45 WC680 in aught Six . . . Pls tell more

TCLouis
09-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by lar45
I've shot 10 gns WC680 in the 06 for a real nice plinker load. No filler, just went pop and nestled them boolits all together at 25yds.

Lar45
Why don'tcha provide some more details here.
Boolit involved and other info as available.

Thanx for that other information by the way!
Bit faster than I expected.
Will have to chrony some when I get them cast.
And yes, it it for 9.5 SRH
Grouped all in 1" target dot at 50!

LouisB

lar45
09-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Hi, they were some 165 flat point Oregon trail bullets that I bought years ago before I started casting again. Back before Shooters went down and there was some bad press about me shooting grouse with them.

Anyway, I was shooting 10gns 700X and they did fairly well, but not excellent. So one day before going to the range, I loaded up some with 10gns of WC820 and 10gns WC680. Seated the bullet to just touch but not engrave as sometimes they need to be pulled out without fireing.
I didn't chrony the loads, just checked them on the target at 25yds.
The 700X went about 1.5 - 2"
The WC820 shot real tight maybe about quarter size for 5 shots.
The WC680 shot a comparable size group, but seemed to be going slower and were quieter.
The WC820 was a tighter group, but I like it so much in my pistols that I don't use it in anything else for fear of running out. I guess I should just buy a whole case of it and see if I can get the same lot # and be happy.

"and that's all I've got to say about that"

9.3X62AL
09-05-2005, 02:21 PM
LAR--

Not meaning to stray from the straight and narrow of topicality.......but someone actually complained about grouse zapping with cast boolits?

My few contacts with sage grouse indicate that few stupider birds exist in our environment. I bump into them while beating the water with fly tackle in the eastern Sierra foothills, and they almost absolutely refuse to fly until I'm about to step right on them. So, I can understand why an accurate plinker load using cast boolits would have application in this venue--ground sluicing with a shotgun is very poor form, so the cast boolit route is a lot more sporting--not to mention far less destructive of table fare.

One thing nags me, though--I'm assuming that the evolved ability and willingness to fly away from danger is prompted by a species' value as table fare by predators. Given that grouse are so laid back.......do they taste awful?

carpetman
09-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Deputy Al---I too like dove hunting--not as much now as when I was a kid. Nowdays,this seems impossible to believe,but as a kid I could walk down the street carrying my shotgun and cross the tracks and was into good dove hunting. Could you feature a kid carrying a shotgun in a neighborhood nowdays? You mention the ease of taking grouse. I would not do it--would be ilegal--with about 0% chance of getting caught,but I could easily fill more than my limit of dove with an air gun from my back porch. Take your pick,mourning doves,Inca or huge white wings. I fill up my bird feeders and will have couple dozen or so in both my front and back yard. Guess they are lucky that I dont have the taste for dove as I do quail.

onceabull
09-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Deputy Al.. Sage grouse can be fine eating,but you need to avoid shooting the biggest birds in the flock, general rule when I first moved north (Gleaned from "locals" )was don't bother with any that have their heads higher than your knees when their feet are on the ground. With this "rule" in mind,sage grouse are third on my best to eat poulty list,behind only Blue Grouse and Chukars.. All best hunted with good Polychoked Pumper,or for the grouse only,22 woodsman ,or Kit Gun.. Onceabull