PDA

View Full Version : barrels

Hammer47
12-23-2007, 04:58 PM
What is the best barrel for cast bullets? I would like to have a 38/55 built and need to know which bbl to spec? Do you recommend cut rifling? Prolly will shoot a light load and about a 165 gn bullet, what is the rcommended twist rate? Regards...g

felix
12-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Recommend tall lands if going the custom route. Me, myself, and I would go with 18 twist if 250 grainers are max. If in doubt, go with 16 twist. I like an odd number of lands, say 7, at 60%groove-40%land percentage. Have lands at 005 tall, such as 380-370 groove-land. Or better yet, have the reamer on hand and make sure total neck clearance with loaded round is 001. ... felix

Bass Ackward
12-23-2007, 08:58 PM
What is the best barrel for cast bullets? I would like to have a 38/55 built and need to know which bbl to spec? Do you recommend cut rifling? Prolly will shoot a light load and about a 165 gn bullet, what is the rcommended twist rate? Regards...g

"g",

Felix gave you some good info. If you would like to educate yourself go here and read your butt off.

http://www.6mmbr.com/barrels.html

Hammer47
12-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Those are some good reads and if we were takling a benchrest bbl I would not need the help however since I am asking about a bbl for CAST bullets which I know nothing about I would appreciate a makers name. If this were a jacketed project I would go with a Krieger cut rifled bbl but is there something better for cast?

felix
12-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Nope. ... felix

Buckshot
12-24-2007, 01:02 AM
..............The 2 big names that I know of with an especially good rep for cast are Badger and Green Mountain. I'm sure either one would be able to supply an outstanding tube.

..............Buckshot

Bass Ackward
12-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Hammer,

The best barrel type for cast is cut rifling. The best manufacturer (the one with the newest equipment to hold the tightest tolerances) is Bartlein.

They will cut any twist rate you want. Say you want a certain bore diameter or rifling height or a 17 twist or a 17 3/8 twist, you can get it along with bore dimensions that all will be guaranteed to the fourth decimal place. (.0000)

But they only do certain bore diameters and certain steels. Otherwise, I recommend Badger or Krieger as they do tougher steels too.

I am waiting on Bartlein to tool up for 35s.

JSH
12-24-2007, 11:55 AM
38-55, kind of a big gun for a bald headed, air gun, pip squeak round shooting old fart isn't it?

LOL, Merry Chritmas to you and yours brother.

Jeff

Yes yes, I ams till working on those 30 cal pills for you. Have not had much time to get to the basement.

felix
12-24-2007, 12:02 PM
True, Bartlein would be my choice as well because of the new equipment. Holding that 0001 tolerance would almost require a softer steel than "normal". Besides that, the equipment will guarantee a very small choke when specified. How much choke would be ideal? Unknown. Prolly 0005 at muzzle? ... felix

grouch
12-24-2007, 12:19 PM
You could investgate Smith barrels - Ron Smith of Wimborne Alberta makes gain twist barrels that enjoy a lot of success in the Cast Bullet Association plain base bullet matches, including at least one of the records.

KCSO
12-24-2007, 12:44 PM
If I were going for a new tube I would want a 1-14 twist in a 376 bore rather than 379. The 1-14 will be a tad better for heavy bullets but should shoot light ones as well. I have used bothe Badger and Green Mountain and they are fine barrels. I just re did a 32-20 wiht a Green Mountain tube and it shoots way better than I will ever know. You will find used Uberti tubes on E bone and Gunbroker and they are not bad shooters, just a little oversized and if you want to work a little they will do the job. Be prepared to cast a 380+ slug and they will work. I saw one go on Gunbroker last week for $65.00

floodgate
12-24-2007, 05:04 PM
I read recently in one of the BP/Schuetzen magazines that someone is experimenting with a reverse-gain twist - i.e: slower at the muzzle than the breech. The logic escapes me - maybe it is to kick the bullet up to its design rotational speed right at first, then keep it constant down the tube as the bullet accelerates. I read in one of the 19th-Century British gun books about barrels cut with gain twist for the first 1/3, then constant twist for the next 1/3; then regessive twist on to the muzzle. I expect anything one could imagine was tried at one time or another.

floodgate

felix
12-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Doug, possible someone did this, but it's not logical. ... felix

Red River Rick
12-24-2007, 05:16 PM
You could investgate Smith barrels - Ron Smith of Wimborne Alberta makes gain twist barrels that enjoy a lot of success in the Cast Bullet Association plain base bullet matches, including at least one of the records.

grouch:

Have you purchased any barrels from Smith barrels lately? I was under the impression that Ron had passed on and that they/the company was no longer in business. Last time I delt with Ron is about 8 years ago, he made me some stainless .50 cal barrels, nice workmanship.

RRR