PDA

View Full Version : Weight

klw
12-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Isn't weight nothing more than density times the force of gravity?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to set up a set of weight standards to tell the difference between some of the more common bullet casting alloys. A bullet cast from different alloys will have different weights. If the bullet is a REALLY heavy one then these differences are significant. This works because of differences in the density of the various alloys.

Scrounger
12-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Isn't weight nothing more than density times the force of gravity?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to set up a set of weight standards to tell the difference between some of the more common bullet casting alloys. A bullet cast from different alloys will have different weights. If the bullet is a REALLY heavy one then these differences are significant. This works because of differences in the density of the various alloys.

I think it's 'mass', not density.

felix
12-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Correct. The word MASS is the normalized view of what you are saying. Mass is the universal description of a substance throughout the entire universe by having a CONSTANT value throughout the universe. MASS on earth will weigh more than MASS (same) on moon, for example. However, something (a mass) can change shapes, and therefore MIGHT have a different density (x,y,z dimensional changes) on each of two different planets. ... felix

klw
12-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Correct. The word MASS is the normalized view of what you are saying. Mass is the universal description of a substance throughout the entire universe by having a CONSTANT value throughout the universe. MASS on earth will weigh more than MASS (same) on moon, for example. However, something (a mass) can change shapes, and therefore MIGHT have a different density (x,y,z dimensional changes) on each of two different planets. ... felix

So density would be mass time the force of gravity.

God I'm getting old!

Thanks!

7br
12-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Strictly speaking,
density = mass / volume
weight = mass * gravity, which is also equal to force=mass * acceleration.

Mass is how much of the stuff you have. Weight is how much force its going to take to move it off of the ground. IE on the top of Mt Everest, gravity is less that in Death Valley.

garandsrus
12-24-2007, 12:40 AM
klw,

The chart you are trying to come up with may already exist... It compares the weight of the sample when suspended in both water and air and uses the difference to determine the Specific Gravity. A chart showing the specific gravity of different alloys gives you an idea of what you have. Here's a thread that talked about it...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=18466&highlight=specific+gravity

John