PDA

View Full Version : Any Webley Fans?

Bent Ramrod
03-09-2014, 12:32 AM
When I was a kid, these would sometimes show up in ads in the back pages of the gun magazines. The price, for the time, and for someone on a fifty cent a week allowance, was astronomical. I never saw one in use back then, either; it was (in this order) Daisys, Crosmans, Sheridans and (rarely) Benjamins. Now I accumulate them whenever the price seems right. One of these days I might work up the nerve to unscrew that cap on the end and try to fix the seals. Webleys were made like "real" guns, of steel forgings finely machined, fit, polished and blued. I have a couple more around too deeply buried to find conveniently, but next time they come to light, I'll try to remember to take a picture. These are Webley Seniors, a Mark II and a Junior.

HARRYMPOPE
03-09-2014, 01:22 AM
I had a Webley tempest .177 I just loved but sold in a weak moment. I never got it to shoot as well as other air pistols but it did feel like a real pistol and was built hell for stout.I keep looking for another but in 22 this time.

Rio Grande
03-09-2014, 07:26 AM
When the kids were young we spent a lot of time along the bayous shooting a Tempest. Thousands of shots.
Once we saw cop cars approaching us at a good speed down the gravel road. Turns out someone had complained about 'guns'.
The officers and us then all had a good time shooting the Webley at cans.
Wonderful, classic pistols - what a shame no longer made in England.

Bent Ramrod
03-09-2014, 09:09 PM
I found the other ones, a Mark I and a Premier Mark II. The intense young English marksman with the Beatle haircut will give you an idea of the time frame for the latter. You got dress-up wooden grips with your pistol back then, although by the early 1970's the gun frame was a black enameled casting rather than a blued steel forging. Some time later, the pistol was lengthened and more elaborate sights added; I think that one was the Tempest.

I think the Mark I is from the 1920's.

HARRYMPOPE
03-11-2014, 12:32 AM
those airguns will be about all you will be able to own in California in a few years<G>Nice groups of guns, I am jealous!