PDA

View Full Version : Had to get my heart re-booted

DLCTEX
03-08-2014, 09:30 PM
I haven't been feeling well for a few days and today thought my arteries may be plugging up again. I made a trip to the emergency room and my pulse was working way overtime. They were going to life light me to Amarillo but visibility was poor so we took a very bumpy ambulance ride for 100 miles. My cardiologist was on call this weekend and they got me fixed in no time. As I understand it they used electric shock to stop and restart my heart, sort of a reboot of my computer, and everything is normal. If I pass the stress test in the morning I'll go home and back to work on Monday.

jsizemore
03-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Chemical or treadmill? Good luck either way.

leadman
03-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Good luck and hang in there! My mother had that done a couple of time.

Bloodman14
03-09-2014, 12:14 AM
My G'pa had the cardio-inversion done a few years ago; made him a new man.

TreeKiller
03-09-2014, 01:32 AM
I have a pacemaker-fibular. If I fall down and do the chicken will know that the fibular did it on its own.

DLCTEX
03-09-2014, 01:38 AM
Treadmill if my knee will hold up. Last time I lasted long enough to get my heart rate up enough to satisfy.

smokeywolf
03-09-2014, 02:01 AM
Hate the chemical assisted stress test. Gives me the same feeling as low blood sugar.

smokeywolf

Col4570
03-09-2014, 02:02 AM
The year 2000 I had a Heart attack,no previous symptoms.I remember I was working on a Shotgun for a friend in my garage cum workshop when I felt pains in my left arm and across my chest.By the time I got to the Back door of the House my legs had given up.Luckily the wife was in and called an ambulance.They where quite quick to get there and put the monitor on me to check me out.#at the Hospital they injected the Clot Busting Drug to clear the blockage.Since then I have been well and take the meds prescribed
Excuse the medical history,just to let you knowI have been there and can identify with your problems and hope all goes well during your treatment.Good luck and get well soon.

JeffinNZ
03-09-2014, 02:35 AM
God Lord man! There is no future is this sort of carry on. Get well and fast.

w5pv
03-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Prayers for you from a fellow Texican

blackthorn
03-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Best of luck and prayers for a full recovery.

Recluse
03-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Treadmill if my knee will hold up. Last time I lasted long enough to get my heart rate up enough to satisfy.

Dale, just tell them to pipe about fifteen minutes of C-Span into your room, or five minutes of CNN. That'll get your heart rate up without aggravating your knee.

:coffee:

buckwheatpaul
03-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Be Texas tough, do the right thing, do what the doctor says....and spit in the devil's eye and then laugh....I'm praying for you!

DLCTEX
03-09-2014, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the prayers, cheers, and jabs. It was chemical stress test with 15 minutes of pictures pre and again post chemical. Fun, Not!

torker
03-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Hope all goes well for you, Our prayers are with you..

popper
03-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Better than falling off the treadmill & breaking something. Yea, the paddles stop it & the brain restarts it, BIL didn't want to go to the hosp. so he had the EMTs do it while he was awake. Don't do that.

bear67
03-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Hope you are back at work asap. My only experience with the chemical stress test is that it really made me react and they called a code on my in the test room. Final results of 3 days in hospital and $25k of doctors, tests and inflated hospital charges was that it was not my heart, but still don't know what it was. Had all the symptoms of male heart attack except sweating. I was EMT/Paramedic on VFD for years so I knew the symptoms when the pain started. I actually was in enough pain that I could no longer drive and pulled into Arp Fire Department where they were working on a truck and they called EMS who were only half mile away eating breakfast.

I give thanks every morning that I wake up looking down at the grass rather than looking up at the roots. Life is a blessing.

bayjoe
03-09-2014, 03:47 PM
You Texicans are tough, you'll be good as new in no time.
Best wishes and we'll keep you in our prayers.

trys357
03-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Hope the ticker stays in sync now ... my prayers going out to you.

Freightman
03-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Dale prayers for you hope all is well PM me if you need to.

DLCTEX
03-09-2014, 09:52 PM
Frank, I don't think they will let me go home tomorrow, probably going to do heart cath. I will pm you after I see how it goes and maybe we can visit. Thanks, Dale

DIRT Farmer
03-09-2014, 09:57 PM
I had the opertunity to cardio vert rhytums a few times. on required rapid phase (no valium) he was not happy, but his heart went to normal sinus rhytum

DLCTEX
03-09-2014, 10:01 PM
This story has an odd twist to it. A fellow named Jeff has been working for me for about 6 months. He was not feeling well last week and then I started having the same symptoms, figured I'd caught whatever he had. Friday evening he went to the emergency room feeling weak. He was having massive heart attack. No pain anywhere. He's in the other large hospital here. Saturday I decided I had to get off my weak feeling rear and visit him, the prognosis was bad. As

DLCTEX
03-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Dog gone tablet is giving me fits.. As I was showering I began to have burning in my chest and felt weak. Uh oh! Called my cardiologist and was told to get to emergency room. Jeff and I have the same cardiologist, Dr. Chaffin. He told me this morning Jeff is better and he is going to do a second sent tomorrow. Jeff has lost 80% of his heart function, but feels good and may live a long time yet. Say some prayers for Jeff too please. Dale. Stent told you this tablet is trouble auto corrects and will not let me back up if I don't catch it immediately

DLCTEX
03-11-2014, 10:07 PM
Got to come home yesterday. Go back Monday to let them do ablation, which goes through veins to zap place in the heart to make rythem correction permanent.

jumbeaux
03-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Prayers for you...2005 I had a saddle PE and heart attack... God, a really great ER doctor and a clot buster saved me...do what the Doctor says and if Cardiac Rehab is recommended do it...btw those chemical stress tests are no fun...good luck and God Bless...

rick

TreeKiller
03-12-2014, 12:29 AM
Got to come home yesterday. Go back Monday to let them do ablation, which goes through veins to zap place in the heart to make rythem correction permanent.
Had that done in Sept 10 that is when they put in the pacemaker-defib

popper
03-12-2014, 07:01 PM
had that done ~7 yrs ago, doing great now. you will have groin pains for a while.

Cmm_3940
03-12-2014, 08:59 PM
Had the same thing happen to me, pulse hit 200 bpm, BP bottomed out, EMTs did a chemical cardioversion on the spot. Scared the $#!+ out of me. Ended up having the ablation procedure done. Pretty quick and painless. In and out in 12 hrs, just a sore groin, and haven't had a problem since. Hope this fixes your problem too. I guess this procedure is fairly common nowadays, good luck and get well soon.

Blue Ghost
03-12-2014, 11:52 PM
I've had an ablation done myself. My heartbeat was at 166 bpm the first time to the hospital. They got me back in rythem with meds the first time. Second time, was 180 bpm. Was in for 3 days and the chems didn't work, so knocked me out and yelled "clear". Went home the next day. My cardiologist refered me to a colleage that specialized in ablations. But without insurance at the time, had to wait a couple years. Finally got it done, and have a hiccup hear and there, but nothing major, only for maybe a second. The worst part was the metropolol, which slows the heart beat. I gained 50 pounds in no time, and it's hard as hell to work it off. Almost 2 years ago, my brother (13 years older) got A-Fib, and less than a year ago, one of my sisters (16 years older) got it as well. My bro got the ablation done, and sis is working with meds.

Prayers to each of you that are going, or have gone, through this.

Bruce

DLCTEX
03-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Ablation is done. A little painfull but worth it if it fixs me. Going home in an hour. Been here since 8:00 am

crowbuster
03-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Hope you are back at work asap. My only experience with the chemical stress test is that it really made me react and they called a code on my in the test room. Final results of 3 days in hospital and $25k of doctors, tests and inflated hospital charges was that it was not my heart, but still don't know what it was. Had all the symptoms of male heart attack except sweating. I was EMT/Paramedic on VFD for years so I knew the symptoms when the pain started. I actually was in enough pain that I could no longer drive and pulled into Arp Fire Department where they were working on a truck and they called EMS who were only half mile away eating breakfast.

I give thanks every morning that I wake up looking down at the grass rather than looking up at the roots. Life is a blessing.

Hey bear, just read this n heart thread. Had the same thing 2 wks ago. All tests showed heart ok. Wk later my regular dr. calls me and says he had gone over my labs that they had sent over. Said i had a virus that mimics a heart attack n it would run 4-6 wks and culd flare up at any time within that period. Just fyi

GunnyJohn
03-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Sending prayers for a speedy and healthy recovery. Get well soon. So many boolits, and so little time.

DLCTEX
03-17-2014, 10:16 PM
14 hrs and 200 miles later, home sweet home! Dr. said light duty for a couple days, haven't worked in 3 weeks. Not good when self employed.

bear67
03-17-2014, 10:32 PM
Thanks Crowbuster. All those Cardiologists and expensive tests and no followup--not even guesses. I have not had any other symptoms since. Now we are fighting metastatic melanomas, but I am winning the bout so far. I am blessed so I give thanks every morning when I get up and look down at grass instead of up at the roots.

bear67
03-17-2014, 10:37 PM
Dale
When you live in certain places in Texas, 100 miles is just to meet friends for coffee. Hope you are back to work soon-=-worked for myself most of my adult life and no work--no income. Folks used to not believe us when we said we drove 75 miles to the grocery store. I live in a more populated area of Texas now, but some days wish for no neighbors.

MaryB
03-18-2014, 12:32 AM
I don't complain about the round trips for everything. Living rural has to many advantages. Like watching my neighbors horses out my kitchen bay window, wildlife meandering the backyard at times, etc. I am "in town" with one neighbor next door and the horse people across the street. 50 mile round trips for groceries, 90 for some medical, neck surgery coming up will be a 200 mile round trip...

No heart issues yet knock on wood. Glad you all are getting what needs done taken care of, waiting in some cases can prove fatal.

Teddy (punchie)
03-18-2014, 07:27 AM
Hoping things improve and get better for you. They'll tell you what to do. Try to do it.

Diet and Exercise will not hurt ether. I keep telling my Dad but he doesn't feel like it and you are what you eat. Even babies have to crawl before they walk. One day at a time improvement should come.