PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to order my new TN gun

GARD72977
03-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Im getting ready to order a new Soddy Daisy TN gun. I have been on a waiting list for about 6 months. I am wanting to do a 45cal even though it should be a 40cal. It will be a gun to shoot at my local club for woods walk and some paper targets. This will be a full custom with all hand made parts. I know that most people would have a Lancaster or something else built but I love those long TN guns

Im thinking I want a tapered barrel that is at least 44 inches but I would like to go 45 or 46. Any suggestions on twist. I have been reading about gain twist and have not ruled it out. I leaning for the 60ish twist.

Anyone have recommendation for a great barrel maker for 44+ inches. This is the first part I need to order.

Texantothecore
03-08-2014, 09:25 PM
60:1 will be quite accurate with patched ball.

I too love long barrels. I have a 44" that will make a wonderful rocklock.

Look at stacking patches to shoot a smaller ball if you need to.

GARD72977
03-09-2014, 12:32 AM
I need the heaviest ball I can shoot for the falling steel targets. Just cant bring myself to do a 50cal TN gun. I would be interested in a 47 cal if I could find one.

waksupi
03-09-2014, 12:50 AM
No one makes a barrel over 44". I recently did an exhaustive search for a customer.

Hanshi
03-09-2014, 07:52 PM
You should love that rifle and .45 is tailor made for a Tn rifle. I also just ordered my Tn Poorboy in .32 x 38" swamped barrel. For a number of reasons a 42" barrel was not an option, not even in a straight barrel. But that's okay; a 38" barrel will still come up to my chin. Who's building your rifle?

GARD72977
03-09-2014, 09:53 PM
You should love that rifle and .45 is tailor made for a Tn rifle. I also just ordered my Tn Poorboy in .32 x 38" swamped barrel. For a number of reasons a 42" barrel was not an option, not even in a straight barrel. But that's okay; a 38" barrel will still come up to my chin. Who's building your rifle?

Roy Stroh is building the gun.

451 Pete
03-10-2014, 05:40 AM
Just a consideration for you. We have two sizes of the silhouette animals at Friendship, small bore which allow up to a .40 caliber and go out to rams at 100 yds. and large bore that are any caliber above a .40 and go out to a 5 ft. tall bear at 200 yds. I don't know where you are shooting at or what their requirements are but you did mention shooting steel targets. The caliber you decide upon may also be somewhat decided on by weather you are wanting to use this for a deer rifle or other game as they also have caliber considerations in the game laws of most states for the hunting seasons.

just my thoughts ... Pete

GARD72977
03-10-2014, 08:27 AM
Just a consideration for you. We have two sizes of the silhouette animals at Friendship, small bore which allow up to a .40 caliber and go out to rams at 100 yds. and large bore that are any caliber above a .40 and go out to a 5 ft. tall bear at 200 yds. I don't know where you are shooting at or what their requirements are but you did mention shooting steel targets. The caliber you decide upon may also be somewhat decided on by weather you are wanting to use this for a deer rifle or other game as they also have caliber considerations in the game laws of most states for the hunting seasons.

just my thoughts ... Pete

Im not interested in hunting with this gun. Nothing is written in stone about the caliber. I need a flint lock rifle for my local match. Maybe I should just go with 40 and deal with it not knocking over all the targets. Going with a 40 would be correct for a Soddy Daisy.

Pigboat
03-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Have you checked with the folks at Tenn. Valley Muzzleloaders down there in Corinth, Ms.? They might be able to tell you where you can get a barrel the length you want.

http://www.avsia.com/tvm/