PDA

View Full Version : Source for aplomb?

Thumbcocker
03-08-2014, 11:08 AM
I have have read in several articles that Ruger revolvers will handle warmer than standard loads with aplomb. I did a quick check of my powder, lube, and assorted stashes and found that I do not have any aplomb on hand. Since I have seen everything from spare lube groves to purple long johns available on this sight I thought I would do a quick post.

Normally I don't hot rod my six guns but I like to have options available in the loading room. I am planning on hunting avids in the not too distant future and figure it is better to use enough gun and load when hunting a tricky species. Also if any experienced avid hunters have tips to share I would appreciate it. I have heard that there are many avid hunters on this forum so I am looking forward to drawing on their wealth of practical experience. In all my travels and hunting I don't think I have ever come across any avid sign or tracks.

I figure that with boolits loaded with aplomb, some practical tips on avid habitat and behavior, and a little luck I can be in the avid hunting business in no time at all.

300savage
03-08-2014, 11:34 AM
better go now as it seems like more and more trophy avids are dying of old age and the young ones are catching apathy.
the season may close one day.

Col4570
03-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Yes many folks are consummate hunters.I am in England and consummates are not part of our fauna.I believe they may be close relatives to the Avids of your continent.

pdawg_shooter
03-08-2014, 11:57 AM
LMAO...I really enjoyed that!

runfiverun
03-08-2014, 12:48 PM
you wipe the aplomb on the outside of the case.
the reason you don't have any is because it's next to the max-factor all the non tacticool guy's are wearing now days on the grocery store shelf.

Bad Water Bill
03-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Not sure of what species of AVIDS you are hunting for.

We have an over abundance of Avid Gangbangers in the Windy City and it appears there is no closed season on them as there is a report of another one being shot every day or so.

How do you intend on having your trophy mounted once you have obtained it?

snuffy
03-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Aplum? Don't they grow on trees? Um, oh aploomb, must be a ploom-bob, he's always around with plummers---? It's used for them that have a head tilt to the left or right, they can't figure out where straight up & down is!

I ran across a a--an avid once in the north Wisconsin woods when I was a first time hunter way back in the dark ages. He had every gadget and piece of cold weather clothing you could hang on a person. AND he was lost, one thing he did NOT have was a compass. An avid is not something to hunt for,, it's the avid hunter himself. Now-a-days-called a tacticool, or a mall ninja.

I gotts ta go use the aploom-bob to see if my press is straight, BRB!

fishhawk
03-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Ralph I think you can order that from the same place you get that "scratch stuff" that so many things are built from.

Love Life
03-08-2014, 01:31 PM
I have some bad news. The only manufacturer for Aplomb in the United States was a smelter named Doe Run. Doe Run was shut down, so now we can only get aplomb from overseas sources. However; a current rumor says the one of the major over sea manufacturers of aplomb is Russia, and the are now ceasing the export of aplomb to the U.S. and friendly countries.

I hate to break the bad news like this, but I didn't want anybody to spend countless futile hours in a search for aplomb.

Bad Water Bill
03-08-2014, 01:37 PM
LOVELIFE

Do you have any AVIDS in your area and if so what are the requirements to hunt them?

FredBuddy
03-08-2014, 01:55 PM
You folks are outa sight!

codgerville@zianet.com
03-08-2014, 02:01 PM
The reason you won't find any Avid tracks is because they never land, they simply float around in the air.

fishhawk
03-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Another one you never see tracks from is the "Nauga" I believe that are all domesticated now and no wild Nauga'a roam free any more.

Sweetpea
03-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Maybe these Avids have something to do with the chem trails... Which lead to the extinction of the Nauga!

Thumbcocker
03-08-2014, 02:19 PM
I thought hide hunters wiped out the naugas.

Sweetpea
03-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Nope, that's just what THEY want you to think!

Btw, 1000th post!

JSnover
03-08-2014, 02:54 PM
I'm fresh out of aplomb but if you locate some equilibrium it will work just as well. Just like tin, add about 2%.

C. Latch
03-08-2014, 03:02 PM
It sounds like someone's been reading Pat McManus.

FWIW, aplomb is built into every Ruger Blackhawk. It's what allows them to handle those heavy .45 Colt loads.

runfiverun
03-08-2014, 03:27 PM
wait... you're saying they line the cylinders with it now.
jeezus I'm plumbnearly out of it and was starting to freak out a little.

and now I find out all I gottta do is buy a new ruger to replace all my old ones, wooo-hoo wait till the wife finds out she will be overjoyed...

Thumbcocker
03-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Col4570;

I have heard that consummates disguise themselves by hiding amoung vowels.

Sweetpea
03-08-2014, 03:32 PM
Does aplomb change the rpm threshold?

Alan in Vermont
03-08-2014, 03:34 PM
This whole discussion is a bsurd.

Echo
03-08-2014, 03:42 PM
The reason we can't find any aplombs is that they are unique - as in "How do you catch a Unique rabbit?" Unique up on him...
So. How do you catch a Tame rabbit? Tame way, unique up on him.
So. Hunting aplombs is hopeless. They just show up, unexpectedly, but sometimes accompanied by a Rara Avid...

fishhawk
03-08-2014, 03:51 PM
No Ralph they didn't but they did use wild stock to start a captive breading program once they found out that the curly soft hair behind the ears of the Nauga makes a very durable velcro that we use to this day! Unfortunately there was a disease that wiped out the wild Nauga in the early 60s

fecmech
03-08-2014, 04:20 PM
Does aplomb change the rpm threshold?
Only in the Asperly Aimless, decreases it by 10%

btroj
03-08-2014, 05:38 PM
They have lots of aplomb in Canada. Face it, they are an aplombination of a country.

Goatwhiskers
03-08-2014, 06:45 PM
You fellas remind me of a yokel that was trying to buy some 'couth. His girlfriend told him he was UN-couth. GW

fatnhappy
03-08-2014, 06:54 PM
I left some over there.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?227433-Picking-the-best-rifle-action-and-caliber-for-dedicated-cast-boolit-hunting&p=2674374&viewfull=1#post2674374

phonejack
03-08-2014, 08:02 PM
I once thought I had aplomb, but it was just gas.

mikeym1a
03-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Another one you never see tracks from is the "Nauga" I believe that are all domesticated now and no wild Nauga'a roam free any more.

back when I was a novice upholsterer, I was told that it took the hydes of 372 Naugas to make one yard of Nuagahyde, and those were the large variety. That's why they are all domesticated, the wild ones were riden to extinction by the trade.

mikeym1a
03-08-2014, 08:23 PM
This whole discussion is a bsurd.

What's a '...bsurd...'?

GaryN
03-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Now let's see. If my reading is ept and I am couth you should be able to buy 100 lube grooves for 1 ounce of aplomb.

frankenfab
03-08-2014, 08:52 PM
I believe aplomb is actually none other than Aplomb Bob, noted carpentry expert. He is also a Ruger Guru, and you have to have his special aplomb crimp die to make loads with aplomb.

runfiverun
03-08-2014, 09:17 PM
What's a '...bsurd...'?

I think it's super similar to A lert I have heard there's a shortage of lerts.
my old MSG used to keep telling us to be A lert so I have always assumed we needed more of them.

deep creek
03-08-2014, 09:58 PM
here in idaho we have a problem with avids sneeking in from other states.so in the spring we round them up like the bull calfs and use the elastrators on them to hold the population down. seems to be alot of female avids around with long faces.

btroj
03-08-2014, 10:06 PM
What is the plural of a plomb? Is it plumbs or plombi?

Cmm_3940
03-08-2014, 10:20 PM
I have some bad news. The only manufacturer for Aplomb in the United States was a smelter named Doe Run. Doe Run was shut down, so now we can only get aplomb from overseas sources. However; a current rumor says the one of the major over sea manufacturers of aplomb is Russia, and the are now ceasing the export of aplomb to the U.S. and friendly countries.

I hate to break the bad news like this, but I didn't want anybody to spend countless futile hours in a search for aplomb.

Nah, you're thinking of Plumbum(link) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/lead). And that's the straight truth.

M-Tecs
03-08-2014, 10:27 PM
You purchase aplomb here http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/aplomb than you paint your boolits with it.:bigsmyl2:

tommag
03-08-2014, 11:25 PM
I think I may have some I can give you. If so, I can guarantee its never been used.
It might be stored with my finesse and tact. I'll emailyou a box if I find it.

btroj
03-08-2014, 11:29 PM
I just looked in the phone book, it is readily available. Just call aplomba. Mine even fixed a clogged drain.

btroj
03-08-2014, 11:34 PM
You can also get it from Bob. Yep, plomb Bob. He is easy to find, he tends to hang around.

Love Life
03-09-2014, 12:12 AM
The cabin fever is strong in this thread.

Btroj- Man, you really need to put some layers on and go outside for awhile. Today I went kayaking in sand harbor at Lake Tahoe and it worked wonders!! Oh, wait. Ya'll are dealing with snomageddon 2014...

Bloodman14
03-09-2014, 12:12 AM
So, where can I find some 'chutzpa'? My loads could use some.

btroj
03-09-2014, 12:15 AM
The cabin fever is strong in this thread.

Btroj- Man, you really need to put some layers on and go outside for awhile. Today I went kayaking in sand harbor at Lake Tahoe and it worked wonders!! Oh, wait. Ya'll are dealing with snomageddon 2014...

Snomageddon? We haven't had enough to shovel but twice. We had artic vortex up the wazoo. Heck, it was cold enough that even the snow stayed away!

Love Life
03-09-2014, 12:19 AM
Will you need some aplomb for the rainbow 4x4? Here is a target to help out when you start shooting the XCB:

btroj
03-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Nope. Got plenty. It will only see bullets cast from aplombomb. Yep aPb on the periodic chart.

Cabin fever? Cast 4 pots of 44 Keith bullets in the last 2 days and started the coating process on about 500 of em. Like that Hi-Tek in handguns.

Love Life
03-09-2014, 12:33 AM
I'm going to top the day off by loading some ammo for the 10mm...with jacketed bullets. No shame in my game!

Love Life
03-09-2014, 12:37 AM
Oh, and while ya'll were getting the polar vortex, I was doing this this afternoon...

btroj
03-09-2014, 12:40 AM
Our vortex seems to be going away. Finally. We might hit 60 tomorrow. Sadly, I have to work. I get Tues off but it is gonna rain. Oh well I can do more casting.

Bad Water Bill
03-09-2014, 12:50 AM
So when are you going to get into a REAL kayak and learn how to paddle correctly?

That middle picture says you are dribbling a lot of water into that thing you refer to as a kayak.

Real kayaks have separate cockpits you can seal yourself into and remain waterproof. :kidding:

varmintpopper
03-09-2014, 12:51 AM
I once saw an Aplomb,,It was an "OH NO Aplomb",,, It had 1 inch legs and 2 inch Balls,,, And everytime it came in for a landing it Screemed,,, OH NO !

Good Shooting

Lindy

TXGunNut
03-09-2014, 12:58 AM
So when are you going to get into a REAL kayak and learn how to paddle correctly?-Bad Water Bill

Real kayaks don't have room for a cooler. Pirogues and canoes work better.

Bad Water Bill
03-09-2014, 01:06 AM
You would be surprised what can be carried with the use of a few bungee cords and milk crates here on Lake Michigan.

Better yet take a ride with us down the Chicago river on New Years MOURNING.:bigsmyl2:

Love Life
03-09-2014, 01:24 AM
It's all good BWB. I was wearing silkies so I was prepared for the water. Plus I had coated my trousers with water proof aplomb.

a.squibload
03-09-2014, 02:01 AM
While on the road one time I met a Kayak girl, she hopped into my Chevy Vortex,
took her all the way to Aplombia, she forgot her silkies, never heard from her again....

blademasterii
03-09-2014, 08:56 AM
Better hope your name was as true then as now. :D

pdawg_shooter
03-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Think there might be a little a.squibload running around somewhere?

Col4570
03-09-2014, 01:06 PM
What is the plural of a plomb? Is it plumbs or plombi?
Plombuses.

Col4570
03-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Do you have any Bargain Hunters in your Neck of the Woods.Are they edible or just a Trophy Species.Apparently they can get vicious when they become a Pack and have been known to attack each other.

DLCTEX
03-09-2014, 03:17 PM
So when are you going to get into a REAL kayak and learn how to paddle correctly?

That middle picture says you are dribbling a lot of water into that thing you refer to as a pkayak.

Real kayaks have separate cockpits you can seal yourself into and remain waterproof. :kidding:

He's no dribbling water Bill, he's adding ballast. Those things are "tippy" without it.

GOPHER SLAYER
03-09-2014, 04:02 PM
If you leave aplomb in the jar too long it becomes Inert. I know this because I was in a friends reloading shed one day and I saw a jar on a shelf labeled Aplomb. When I asked my friend what it was used for , he replied "nothing now, it's Inert". Not wanting to display further ignorance, I never asked what Inert is and to this day I have never found out.

Bad Water Bill
03-09-2014, 04:15 PM
He's no dribbling water Bill, he's adding ballast. Those things are "tippy" without it.

Been using canoes AND kayaks since 1953 and hasn't happened YET.

There are 2 canoes COVERED IN SNOW in my yard as I type just itching to go down the river again.

Ralph Frese, lead me down the Chicago River more than one New Years mourning at 0800.

May he rest in peace after 86 years of paddling everywhere including a trip all the way down the father of waters.

TXGunNut
03-09-2014, 04:15 PM
I've apparently OD'd on Inert this weekend. Have three tax returns to do and haven't done more than glance at the outside of a few envelopes. Been sitting around on my dead **** reading for the last day and a half, need to convert it back to Aplomb and get those returns done. I'm thinking two returns will result in a refund and the third will cost more to prepare than Uncle Sugar is entitled to.

Col4570
03-10-2014, 02:06 AM
Col4570;

I have heard that consummates disguise themselves by hiding amoung vowels.

The last time I was at the Hospital I was told to keep my Vowels open.

Col4570
03-10-2014, 02:14 AM
Should,nt this be in the cooking section",Sauce for Aplomb".

Cmm_3940
03-10-2014, 05:02 AM
I've apparently OD'd on Inert this weekend. Have three tax returns to do and haven't done more than glance at the outside of a few envelopes. Been sitting around on my dead **** reading for the last day and a half, need to convert it back to Aplomb and get those returns done. I'm thinking two returns will result in a refund and the third will cost more to prepare than Uncle Sugar is entitled to.

Try using flux. Flux will get rid of inert. Just be careful; overuse of flux will increase the possibility of discharges. Make sure there aren't any accidental ones.

Cmm_3940
03-10-2014, 05:06 AM
attached image

Stolen and saved.
[smilie=l:

Hickok
03-10-2014, 08:03 AM
Sounds like it comes from France, I don't want any thing to do with it!

C. Latch
03-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Try using flux. Flux will get rid of inert. Just be careful; overuse of flux will increase the possibility of discharges. Make sure there aren't any accidental ones.

I'd watch out for that inert. I hear it has bad gas - smelly, but otherwise harmless.

osteodoc08
03-10-2014, 09:40 AM
I thought the Obamanation outlawed any new sources of Aplomb for fear it would find its way into the wrong hands? Similar to ivory, lead and what not. Had I known this, I'd of stocked up on Aplomb several years back and sold it at scalper prices at the gun shows.

If anyone has a few pounds to spare, please PM me. I'll pay top prices, so long as you take Monopoly money. That's all I have to pay with at this time for the newly aquired Aplomb.

Yall can keep all that Inert stuff. I tried it a while back. It didnt taste good.

I went Nauga hunting several years back and took that Nauga hyde and put it in an old farm truck to cover the bench seat. AFAIK, the gubment hasnt caught wind of that yet. I heard there is a hefty fine if caught with a true Nauga Hyde.

Thumbcocker
03-10-2014, 12:53 PM
If you hunt naugas on the ground in Africa do you conceal yourself in a nauga hide?

DHurtig
03-10-2014, 01:02 PM
A tip for those of you who are hunting avids. I am on Interstate 90 30 miles east of Sturgis South Dakota. In early August this is the primary East/West migration route of avid bikers.

Blacksmith
03-10-2014, 03:21 PM
If you get tired of hunting Naugas and Avids give Spam hunting a go, crafty little suids a type of ungulate.

osteodoc08
03-10-2014, 03:28 PM
If you get tired of hunting Naugas and Avids give Spam hunting a go, crafty little suids a type of ungulate.

I heard fried and between two pieces of bread, they are yummy. Havent had the stomach to try it.

geargnasher
03-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Yes many folks are consummate hunters.I am in England and consummates are not part of our fauna.I believe they may be close relatives to the Avids of your continent.

The rhetoric can be confusing, in North America there are many Consummate fishermen, perhaps Europe also has an aquatic variety? I've never seen a trophy Consummate myself, but one must consider the inherent tendency of fishermen to exaggerate such things....

Gear

btroj
03-10-2014, 06:49 PM
I had a bunch of aplomb, it dried put and now I just have a bunch of aprune.

Gear, if you want to see trophy consummate I'll send photos of my wedding night.....

Sweetpea
03-10-2014, 07:30 PM
I had a bunch of aplomb, it dried put and now I just have a bunch of aprune.

Gear, if you want to see trophy consummate I'll send photos of my wedding night.....

Because your wife got the booby prize???

btroj
03-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Because your wife got the booby prize???

You obviously havent seen my wife......

Sweetpea
03-10-2014, 07:48 PM
You obviously havent seen my wife......

Nope, but I'm guessing she must be a keeper, as she's put up with you for this long...

Blacksmith
03-10-2014, 07:48 PM
But we have seen you.:bigsmyl2:

xacex
03-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Stolen and saved.
[smilie=l:

Did the same. Thanks for that LL. I will leave that one up on the target board at the range.

btroj
03-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Nope, but I'm guessing she must be a keeper, as she's put up with you for this long...

She is a real keeper. Marrying the daughter of a cast bullet shooter is always a good idea.

Sweetpea
03-10-2014, 10:25 PM
She is a real keeper. Marrying the daughter of a cast bullet shooter is always a good idea.

Marrying=Good

Just fooling around=Dead

We know how to shoot!

bhl2506
03-10-2014, 11:15 PM
You gents are forgetting about the forlorn. I hear they are just as tough to hunt as avids are. I always see the forlorn and avid hunters walking out of the woods cold, tired and hungry with nothing to show for the hard work. :bigsmyl2:

Col4570
03-11-2014, 01:42 AM
The rhetoric can be confusing, in North America there are many Consummate fishermen, perhaps Europe also has an aquatic variety? I've never seen a trophy Consummate myself, but one must consider the inherent tendency of fishermen to exaggerate such things....

Gear
Yes they are always CARPING on about their catches but on the whole they have a Whale of time sitting out there freezing their APLOMBS off.