PDA

View Full Version : close of anothe fur season

Bullshop
03-07-2014, 09:22 PM
Hear is a pic of this years take. Didn't do all that well but it will finance a new SWFA scope for next season and have enough left for a keg of powder.
This area in south west Mt. was new to me so this season has been one of learning the area. Next year Lord willing I hope to de better.
Seasons end always saddens me for a bit but then when spring bear opens in a few weeks I will get over it and change my focus to bear and antler hunting. A good size bear will re-stuff the freezer and a few large elk sheds puts gas in the tank.
Happy hunting!

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-07-2014, 09:28 PM
pup!.

472x1B/A
03-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Looks like a good job on thoes yotes. Did you use wood or wire strechers? I always envied you Montana guys with thoes HUGE super white bellied dogs. Hope you get a great price for your hard work.

deep creek
03-07-2014, 10:54 PM
trapped on the idaho side just below you .the dogs i sent to nafa had a high of 130 to 96. my fox were high 40s to60 not bad. now im waiting on getting my marten sold, i guess in the may sale.you do a nice job on your dogs1

clyde-the-pointer
03-07-2014, 11:00 PM
I would like to buy one of those skins if you want to sell it. Contact me.

Bullshop
03-07-2014, 11:11 PM
I use wire stretchers. I like them better than wood stretchers because they give at the sides and allow a longer stretch. The furs are graded by length not width so the longer you can stretch them the better.
I should have got a pic of the bellies. They are white and fluffy with heavy long hair. Where I am in SW MT in Dell the valley floor is just over 6000 ft elevation and everything goes up from there. Very good quality fur here.
NAFA pick up is tomorrow so ends the season for me. Quality drops off fast now as they have lots of broken hair and soon will be blowing the under coat. Best quality is between Thanksgiving and Christmas and after that they start breaking hair so quality starts down from there. When they start freezing guard hair at the circumference of a bed when they sleep and breaking them off when they get up they are past prime and don't bring near the top price.
Last year I hunted the hi line out of Saco and got some nice ones. I got a certificate from NAFA for receiving the highest price for coyote at that auction $88.00 each. This year may do even better but we don't know until the auction is over.
The big buyers are from China, Europe and Asia and the demand there for these furs is high.

Bullshop
03-07-2014, 11:15 PM
I would like to buy one of those skins if you want to sell it. Contact me.

These are going to auction tomorrow. If you really want one I will hunt up one more before its too late. The quality for luxury garment is not there but for a hat or a wall hanger they are still good.
If you want one for $50.00 I will try for another. Let me know.

Bullshop Junior
03-07-2014, 11:24 PM
Very nice. I havnt shot any coyotes here yet. They are not worth anything, everyone I know that shoots them just leaves them lay.

MaryB
03-07-2014, 11:52 PM
no yote hunting for me this winter, dang car accident ruined that plan. Want some furs to play with as far as leather craft.

Bullshop
03-07-2014, 11:56 PM
no yote hunting for me this winter, dang car accident ruined that plan. Want some furs to play with as far as leather craft.

Same offer, let me know.

hithard
03-08-2014, 12:47 AM
Your not running with that Marshall clan out of Saco are you.......

MaryB
03-08-2014, 03:37 AM
Budget doesn't cover buying anything this month. Extra bills cause of the accident, car insurance due... I have grocery money left for the month

472x1B/A
03-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Bulllshop, getting those Top Lot Certificates are nothing to laugh about as some people think, NOW. You DO have to know what you'er doing to be awarded thoes. Years ago when NAFA first came out with them, they gave out a bunch of them to lure people in to putting up their own fur. Now it is a different game. When I was buying every fur I could get my hands on, the most I ever paid for a coyote was $11.00 but I knew for sure that my return was going to be at least tripple. I ended up getting $54.00 for it. But, I'm still jealous of you Montana - Idaho guys.

Bullshop
03-08-2014, 08:54 AM
MaryB
If I get a chance to take one in the next few days it will have your name on it, no charge.
I pray Gods blessings on you and pray you look to him for your needs.
Remember, "" Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things ( things needed ) will be added unto you"

Wis. Tom
03-08-2014, 10:48 AM
And blessings over you, Bullshop, for a kind act, that your treasures will be in Heaven.

MaryB
03-09-2014, 01:15 AM
Wow thank you, I missed one today in the backyard. Was going after the neighbors cat and all I had on me was the 380, at 50 yards all it did was scare him off with the noise. I have to load up the 223 and set it by the back door if they are getting brave enough to hunt in town during the day.

Wayne Smith
03-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Congratulations, I hope you get good prices.

Does that roof really shed water??

Bullshop
03-09-2014, 11:35 AM
"""Does that roof really shed water?? """
Oh no that roof is just for show. Really that is my wood shed. It keeps most of the snow out and keeps snow from drifting over the wood pile. It did look a little better before winter but we had a couple good wind storms that removed a few more boards. I might have to pile a few sticks on it before next winter.

I went to deliver my fur to the NAFA pick up location in Divide yesterday. I took the back rout through Banak in hope of getting a coyote for MaryB. I did see one on The Cross ranch but as yet don't have permission to shoot there so passed up the shot.
Sorry Mary! I am still new here so have to watch my step until I get to know more folks and they get to know me.
Most ranchers think every yahoo with a gun is going to shoot their cows and until they know I am not one they will treat me as if I was. Takes time to earn respect, earn being the key word.
Waiting for the NAFA guy I was watching two ravens and an eagle engaged in areal battle. Predator birds are often a sign of other predator activity so I fetched my bino's from the PU to have a better look. On a ridge on one side of the road was a small heard of antelope and scanning the ridges on the opposite side was about 25 head of elk bedded in the snow up near the timber line.
I thank God for allowing my existence in such a place when so many others never in their life time get to see such a thing.
I gladly trade access to Wal-mart for this. Good Trade!!!

trapper9260
03-09-2014, 04:16 PM
I snare 4 coyotes this season of trapping and some other furs.i sold all my to a local buyer.I use to send my furs to NAFA and got top lot for coyote,mink ,rats.but not on coon.I put all my coyotes on wood.You have some nice furs there.you should get good price on them for the better of the furs there in your area.My area is know for coon.As for new area it takes time to know the area and get to know the ones around there.I had that problem when I first move to here and then I talk to some and then went to work at a weld shop to repair farm implarment and then i got in alot of places to trap .

winchester85
03-09-2014, 10:16 PM
i had an off year, i only killed 20 coyotes, 1 badger, and one red fox.

i hunt, never got into trapping.

most of my hides this year were only so-so, didnt get any super exceptional ones.

MaryB
03-09-2014, 11:38 PM
Had a skunk move in under my front porch... [smilie=b: now I have to trap that smelly thing and get rid of it. Or shoot it but that is front yard facing the street and there are horses across the road...

Bullshop
03-10-2014, 11:13 AM
Wish I was there to help. I use skunk essence for lure making.

Bullshop Junior
03-10-2014, 11:17 AM
I shot a skunk out from under my house about a week ago....I've never thought there would be as many skunks as there are here.

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-10-2014, 11:23 AM
eeks ...

Bad Water Bill
03-10-2014, 12:09 PM
There has been a village of skunks near where daughter lived since at least 1966 that I can remember.

Yes the big bunch of them are very smart as they chose to start their village in the middle of a County forest preserve.

No hunting trapping or removing them.

Sometimes they DO venture into folks yards and a live trap works wonders along with a high powered air rifle.:bigsmyl2:

472x1B/A
03-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Wish I was there to help. I use skunk essence for lure making.

A drop or 2 will do.

deep creek
03-10-2014, 10:00 PM
ive been getting skunk calls since last week. that means they are getting ready to breed.a few years ago i took eighteen males from under a house.it wasnt pretty!

Bullshop Junior
03-10-2014, 11:20 PM
ive been getting skunk calls since last week. that means they are getting ready to breed.a few years ago i took eighteen males from under a house.it wasnt pretty!

Dang...I thought one was bad.

Although...I thought a possum was bad until I had to remove the skunk....

MaryB
03-10-2014, 11:30 PM
Have to get rid of a wood chuck too, shot one last fall and thought I cured my garden raider. Turns out there were 2 of them, maybe more if one was pregnant... neighbors cats were fighting with the skunk this morning, politicians won't be bugging me for a few weeks, front door is pretty aromatic. Hopefully they drove off the skunk.

starmac
03-11-2014, 03:26 AM
I had a dog for years that killed everything big enough to die. For some ungodly reason he was proud of skunks, when he killed a skunk, he would always bring it and put it on the porch, right in front of the door. My dog would always roam away from home one night and stay home the next night, one time I was at some friends in Az and a skunk let loose under the house and stunk up the inside of the house terribly. The next morning she mentioned she sure hoped the skunk did not come back tonight. I told her I hoped it did, as sam would stay home tonight and there would be a dead skunk on your porch in the morning. lol She didn't believe me, until I showed her the dead skunk the next morning.

Beau Cassidy
03-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Word to the wise.... don't shoot a skunk in your garage.... I had one who snuck in and wasn't going to leave because he found the cat food. No other option. I DO NOT recommend it!

trapper9260
03-12-2014, 07:26 AM
Word to the wise.... don't shoot a skunk in your garage.... I had one who snuck in and wasn't going to leave because he found the cat food. No other option. I DO NOT recommend it!

You are right on not to shoot them in your garage.It will take along time to remove the smell.You can cage trap them and then do away with them the way you see fit that will not smell up any in close space