PDA

View Full Version : The Springfield 1903 Rifles by William Brophy

beemer
03-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Does anyone have a copy of this book, if so would be willing to check out something for me ?

Thanks
Dave

bradh
03-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Yes I have a copy, how may I help you?

beemer
03-07-2014, 09:26 PM
I have seen a picture that I believe is in the this book. In the section about the Bushmaster Springfield is there a picture of the Jungle Platoon in the water up to their waist. There is about 9-10 men ,one in front with what looks like a billfold in his mouth and one in the back with leaves in his helmet caring a Thompson. The men are carrying a mixture of Thompsons and Bushmaster Springfield.

I believe the one in the back to be my Father and I would like to be sure the picture is in the book before I find a copy. I think some of Dad's snapshots have some of the other men in them.

Thank you very much for your help!
Dave

bradh
03-07-2014, 09:35 PM
The Bushmaster section is very short. The picture you describe is not in there. I flipped thru the book quickly and don't see
the picture, I'll continue to look. Can anyone else help us?

10-x
03-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Was the photo taken in Panama?

beemer
03-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Thank you for your time. I will keep looking, it will turn up somewhere.

Thanks again
Dave

beemer
03-07-2014, 10:52 PM
10-x, I am sure the picture was made in Panama, I think by the Signal Corp. The Bushmaster Springfield was only used there. I found another picture several years ago, it was to far away to really identify any one but he recognized the LT's name and remembered training in the river with photographers present. The last one is much better but I don't know the source. The family is almost sure this one is dad. He was in Panama in the Jungle Platoon and the time is right.

Dad said they were issued the cut down Springfield at first and replaced with Thompsons as they became available.

Dave

Multigunner
03-08-2014, 12:35 PM
I've seen a photo of troops training in a swampy area where two men were transporting a very bulky radio. One had a slung Krag carbine. The uniforms were WW2 issue. I figured they were using old Krag rifles as training rifles to avoid damage to the more modern rifles.
The rifle in the photo was definitely a Krag carbine rather than a Bushmaster, the action was clearly visible.

Only photo I've seen of a Bushmaster was of a mule skinner taking a pot shot at some sort of small game.

beemer
03-08-2014, 09:27 PM
The one I saw was of the Jungle Platoon carrying the Bushmaster rifle. I will do some searching and try to find the website again. Otherwise I have found very little info about them or the rifle.

Thanks
Dave

AKtinman
03-08-2014, 10:44 PM
beemer: I read your request and was reminded that my cousin was a Bushmaster, and was killed in action in Luzon, PI. I did a search on Bushmasters WWII, and came up with this link showing one of the Bushmaster rifles: http://bushmasters158.org/bushpics04.htm 5th photo down.
It might not help you out looking for the photo of your dad, but there are other photos on the site, so it might be worth looking at.

220swiftfn
03-09-2014, 02:42 AM
Well, I have Brophy's book and I'll check over coffee later today (Sunday). I remember seeing something similar, and it isn't in Canfield's, so it would be in Brophy.....

Dan

2wheelDuke
03-09-2014, 02:51 AM
This made me curious, so I tried searching.

Is this the book you're talking about?

http://books.google.com/books?id=vb3dDN9FiekC&pg=PA82&lpg=PA82&dq=bushmaster+springfield&source=bl&ots=Ma2hKyB_D-&sig=89--J_JB2K1HKNANqk0rGtY9DLU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=fw0cU_3gJ5PQkQf6o4Fg&ved=0CFsQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=bushmaster%20springfield&f=false

beemer
03-09-2014, 01:47 PM
After searching around a good bit I found the site the picture is on. It is in the section about antique and deactivated firearms listed under Bushmaster Springfield I don' know much about posting pics or such so please excuse me.

www. militaryantiquesmuseum.com

Thanks everyone for your interest, I wish he was here to answer more questions. I got a book Mom put together so here is a bit of the facts.

Dad was attached in the 150th Infantry in Camp Shelby, they left the U.S. on Dec. 24, 1941 and arrived in Panama on Dec 28, 1941. Shortly after arriving at Ft. Clayton he volunteered for the Jungle Platoon. Their job was to rid the canal zone of German spies that were sending info to the German Navy. They also provided security for Caribbean Defense Headquarters. The outfit also trained some of the troops heading to the South Pacific. He stayed in the Jungle Platoon till he was transferred to the states on March 29,1944. He reported to Camp Blanding Fla. and trained troops till discharged on Oct 10, 1945.

Dad was not one of the original Bushmasters of the 158th. One of the Bushmasters Officers stayed behind long enough to get them zeroed in on their duties. He did carry the Bushmaster rifle and I believe he is in one of the pictures. I was try to find the book it was published in if there is one.

Thanks for the help!
Dave

220swiftfn
03-10-2014, 01:36 AM
Well, I'm glad you found it, the picture that I was thinking of WASN'T in Brophy's, not sure where I saw it.....

Dan