PDA

View Full Version : Want to mix a harder alloy

fastfire
03-07-2014, 02:40 AM
I have several .308 boolits that I have been working up loads for with ok results about 2-3"@100yds.
Couple days ago I smelted 120lbs CWWs.Was wondering if I tried a harder alloy if that may tighten the groups. Have been using reclaimed cast boolits 14bhn on the Cabin Tree and ES Powder coating them. I haven't tried water dropping after PC because they are stuck to the aluminum plate they are baked on.
I have a bucket of lino and some foundry type.What do you think?

Larry Gibson
03-07-2014, 07:21 AM
I think you should add 2% tin to the COWWs and WQ (Water Quench s/a water drop) them. That should give you a BHN close to linotype but a much less brittle alloy.

You might also consider the barrel twist, bullet design, fit of the bullet to the throat, sizing, lube, powder burn rate and load have a lot to do with accuracy let alone the accuracy potential of the rifle and shooter.

Larry Gibson

William Yanda
03-07-2014, 07:31 AM
You have engaged in an interesting quest. What do you want in terms of accuracy, cloverleafs, same hole, 1 inch groups?
Larry has listed several paths to pursue. Probably best to take them one at a time. Have you captured boolits to see what they might tell you? Since you have the ingredients, changing alloys is a simple place to start. Did I say try one thing at a time?
Regards:
Bill

tazman
03-07-2014, 08:31 AM
You might also consider the barrel twist, bullet design, fit of the bullet to the throat, sizing, lube, powder burn rate and load have a lot to do with accuracy let alone the accuracy potential of the rifle and shooter.

Larry Gibson

That last probably has more to do with my results than the rest. I'm working on it.

runfiverun
03-07-2014, 10:26 AM
the harder alloy might help.
depending on your boolits design the harder alloy could bump the diameter of the nose enough to give it better support in the barrel.
it could also help prevent set-back when the boolit is being accelerated.

you could try something like 3 parts ww's and 1 part lino-type this would be fairly close to the hardball alloy that the commercial casters use.
it might also gain you about .001 in boolit diameter.