PDA

View Full Version : NW Montana pictures

waksupi
09-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Willy and some others, wanted to see some pictures of this local area. I'll post some from time to time.

Rocky Mt. Front

8mmshooter
09-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks for posting the picture Waksupi. Nice to see something that man has not spoiled yet.

waksupi
09-05-2005, 01:13 AM
Here's another. This is Lower Two Medicine Lake, on the Blackfoot Reservation.

waksupi
09-05-2005, 01:16 AM
And my cabin on Lion Mountain last winter...

powderburnerr
09-05-2005, 01:17 AM
Hey waksupi that is my old backyard. my grandmother owned Kiowa Kamp between east glacier and browning over looking glass

waksupi
09-05-2005, 01:22 AM
Powderburner, I'll be posting some pics out of Cutbank Creek, and other surrounding areas the next couple days. I'll get you real homesick.

waksupi
09-05-2005, 01:59 AM
Here's some of that Cutbank Creek country. Grizzly bear central.

waksupi
09-05-2005, 02:02 AM
Upper Two Medicine

waksupi
09-05-2005, 02:05 AM
Lower Two Medicine south

waksupi
09-05-2005, 02:07 AM
My back yard. Salish Mountain Range

waksupi
09-05-2005, 02:08 AM
More back yard

waksupi
09-05-2005, 02:10 AM
North Fork Flathead River, National Mountain Man Rendezvous

waksupi
09-05-2005, 02:12 AM
Good Friends, Glacier National Park, Livingston Range background

waksupi
09-05-2005, 02:14 AM
Falls, Glacier Park, don't remember the name

waksupi
09-05-2005, 02:16 AM
Canoe trip, Maria's River

waksupi
09-05-2005, 02:17 AM
Pow wow, Flathead Reservation

waksupi
09-05-2005, 02:20 AM
Last one for now, Augusta, Montana area, Rocky Mountain Front.

Bret4207
09-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Yeah,well, thats nice if you're into unspoiled natural beauty and all that. I'd show some pics of my area but the trailers and dead refrigerators block the view of the junkyard and liquid manure pit.

In all seriousness, I grew up in the central Adirondacks. About as pretty as your pics, only lower elevation. But, we had bugs, bugs, bugs and winter lasted from early October through the middle of May. I never hear about bugs out west or how long winter actually lasts. Fill me in please.

Why do the call it tourist season if we can't shoot them?

waksupi
09-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Bret, you can figure six months of winter here, you just never know which months. It was snowing in the Bob Marshall/Glacier Park area two weeks ago.
Some areas have bugs, but for the most part, they aren't a nuisance. They seem to be very localized, as far as ticks, skeeters, no see 'ums, and yellow jackets go.

The Nyack Kid
09-05-2005, 11:19 AM
nice pics looks like the veiw out my window ..... probaly is . ive got cousins on the South Fork Cutbank Creek and yes that is grizzly country and wolf country

8mmshooter
09-05-2005, 06:39 PM
These pictures you have posted are really extraordinary. I envy you when the weather is nice; although I know that the weather there can be cruel at times. My hat is off to you. I'm not sure that most modern men from my area could survive in your area; including myself. I also looked up your Indian artifact reproductions; extraordinary again. You have been blessed with many talents. Are you self taught? You must have the patience of a Saint.....I know your products must be very labor intensive.....you are a true artist. 8mmshooter

onceabull
09-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Waksupi,et al: Some of you might enjoy reading about the wonders of Montana flyfishing(including Cutback Creek) as seen through the eyes and pen of a half Cajun/half Chitimacha Native American who had never seen the mtns till transported there for "field experience" by some Flyfishing/publishing group. Writes as Roger Stouff,and can be found in "room" titled "Native Waters" at FlyAnglers Online...(the Montana Trip articles are archived @ 3Q'er 2005) I've been enjoying his stuff for some time,,give it a try...Onceabull

waksupi
09-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Onceabull, I found the page, just haven't located the article. URL?

8mm, thanks for the kind words. Pretty much self taught, with a few tips over the years. Labor intensive, yes, but what's time to a pig?

onceabull
09-05-2005, 08:04 PM

8mm, thanks for the kind words. Pretty much self taught, with a few tips over the years. Labor intensive, yes, but what's time to a pig?
"URL" ???? some kind of surplus powder?????? no comprende, go to site home page,find list of "Rooms"nearly at bottom,click "Native Waters" ,at bottom of current article is link to past columns.. Enjoy....Onceabull

Scrounger
09-05-2005, 08:23 PM

Ric, here's a URL to the Home page which you apparently found already:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

That's as much of a URL as that site gives us. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. There is a list of articles or departments; click on "Native Waters". That will take you to the current article by Roger Stouff. Scroll down to the bottom of that page. Find "Previous Articles" and click on it. That will take you to a list of his previous articles, separated by 'quarters'. Click on "Third Quarter 2004". That will bring you finally to a list of 5 or 6 articles about Montana. Sorry, that's the best I can explain it; a direct URL is not possible...

waksupi
09-05-2005, 11:03 PM
It was in the 2005 3rd quarter. Good read. A typical first timers account of the area. Sometimes the locals get a bit jaded, I think, and don't appreciate it all.

Ric, here's a URL to the Home page which you apparently found already:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

That's as much of a URL as that site gives us. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. There is a list of articles or departments; click on "Native Waters". That will take you to the current article by Roger Stouff. Scroll down to the bottom of that page. Find "Previous Articles" and click on it. That will take you to a list of his previous articles, separated by 'quarters'. Click on "Third Quarter 2004". That will bring you finally to a list of 5 or 6 articles about Montana. Sorry, that's the best I can explain it; a direct URL is not possible...

Scrounger
09-05-2005, 11:10 PM
I thought he said 2005, 3rd quarter, but that didn't make much sense, as the 3rd quarter isn't here yet...

onceabull
09-05-2005, 11:16 PM
I thought he said 2005, 3rd quarter, but that didn't make much sense, as the 3rd quarter isn't here yet...
Are you trying to get to us,??? or ,!!! Onceabull

waksupi
09-05-2005, 11:21 PM
That goldurned Scrounger made a curse, or a hex, or something, on us!

waksupi
09-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Out at the Saloon

waksupi
09-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Rainbows at Hubbart Reservoir

waksupi
09-05-2005, 11:44 PM
North Fork, Flathead River

waksupi
09-05-2005, 11:49 PM
Dutchman's Range

waksupi
09-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Playing at Bitterroot Lake, 4th of July

Beau Cassidy
09-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Man those are nice pictures. Many more of them and I am going to have to fire off some resumes up that way. Didn't have much luck sending them to Helena a few years back.

Beau

KYCaster
09-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Nice catch, Ric. Whatcha usin for bait?

Jerry

waksupi
09-06-2005, 06:47 PM
Yellow Panther Martins. And she just loves to fish...

45 2.1
09-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Ric-

Looks like you made a better catch than she did.

KYCaster
09-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Fish?.......Oh yeah, she is holding some fish, isn't she.
Stand up boy, they're goin right over yer head!

Jerry

waksupi
09-06-2005, 10:14 PM
What are you guys going on about? Haven't you ever went trout fishing before?

KYCaster
09-07-2005, 12:42 AM

Trout fishing? Don't get me started on trout fishing! (Too late, I'm already primed)
Where I live, anything resembleing trout fishing as you know it is purely accidental. There may be some native trout populations in Jumptrap's neighborhood, but west of Quicksand on the edge of the Daniel Boone Forest, it's strictly put n take. They've almost ruined two of my favorite fishin holes (Rough Creek and Roundstone Creek) with their godawful imported Rainbow Trout. They have about as much resemblance to one of your Steelhead as a Kroger Butterball does to a wild turkey. Forget fly fishing! These pond raised abominations have never smelled a nymph or seen a mayfly hatch. The preferred baits are Velveeta brand cheese substitute, Green Giant brand cream style yellow corn and canned dog food tied up in itty-bitty nylon mesh baggies.
The only thing that saves the whole natural fishery is the "take" side of the equation. You're not supposed to fish within a mile of the stocking site the day they're stocked, but they advertise the date so you'll know when to stay away. That gives Bubba and his buddies a whole day head start. Anything that survives that gauntlet probably won't make it through the summer heat, so they're cleaned out rather quickly. Very few live long enough to learn how to forage for food.
So as summer wanes, and the grasshoppers mature, I can catch a pocket full of my favorite bait (read "The Grasshopper Trap" by Patrick F. McManus) and catch a bucket full of Goggle-eyes and Red-ear Sunfish and enjoy a feast that's really worth the effort.
Like I said, don't get me started on trout fishing. The way its done in your neighborhood, I just might learn to like it.

Jerry

Bigscot
09-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Waksupi,

I hate you.

BS

45 2.1
09-07-2005, 09:27 PM

No. No trout where I live. Good fishin' buddy.

waksupi
09-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Waksupi,

I hate you.

BS

WhutdidIdo!??

waksupi
09-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Since you guys seem to like fishing, I'll send one more of those.

Bigscot
09-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Waksupi

You just keep rubbing it in. I guess I'm just going to have to pack up and move next door to you to punish you.

BS

Beerd
09-08-2005, 01:26 PM
lets see now,
looks to be hungry horse or someplace like it
the regs are - "Combined Trout: includes brown trout, rainbow trout, golden trout, and grayling Lakes/Reservoirs: 5 daily and 10 in possession, only 1 over 22 inches"
somebody's got their limit (in more ways than one!)
nice catch

Scrounger
09-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Waksupi

You just keep rubbing it in. I guess I'm just going to have to pack up and move next door to you to punish you.

BS

That's better than having CarpetMan move in and start raiding his sheep pen...

9.3X62AL
09-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Gorgeous pics, Ric.

I spent a month in MT a few years ago, and fell in love with the area. I fly fished the Madison and Gallatin Rivers primarily (Three Forks area near Bozeman) during "hopper season". I brought 60 Muddler patterns with me for the trip, and on the third day of fishing I was out of hand-tied flies......they were shredded by the number of fish they caught for me! Had to resort to commercially-tied flies after that. No great big fish, but no little ones either--all ran around 12"-16", and a 20-fish catch-and-release day was pretty slow.

waksupi
09-08-2005, 03:19 PM
lets see now,
looks to be hungry horse or someplace like it
the regs are - "Combined Trout: includes brown trout, rainbow trout, golden trout, and grayling Lakes/Reservoirs: 5 daily and 10 in possession, only 1 over 22 inches"
somebody's got their limit (in more ways than one!)
nice catch

That was Hubbart Reservoir. No limit last year, as it was being drained for dam repair.

Al, Three Forks is one of those places, you need to buy skeeter dope by the gallon.

Beerd
09-08-2005, 06:03 PM
still a nice catch.

waksupi
09-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Here's a picture from last Saturday. My buddy Roxanne did good!

MT Gianni
09-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Ric, Nice bull. I hope that at least you helped her pack it out. I keep getting my money back from the state as the last moose tag I had was 1990. Gianni.

waksupi
09-19-2005, 07:43 PM
Gianni, fortunately I was not there, as packing moose is one of my least favorite hobbies. However, her husband is a logger, built on the lines of a D-9 Cat. I had previously warned them, I would be having a bad back on which ever day she shot it.

Gunload Master
09-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Sorry Waksupi I just saw this thread. was gone there for a week when you posted this. That's some darn nice country up that way. You live in a wilderness mans dream.

MGySgt
11-06-2005, 08:52 PM
waksupi - You live in an area that most of us wish we could or just dream of! I visit the high country once a year just to see the sights that are right out your door. There are just too many people in this world that have never seen God's creation - unspoiled!

Thank you for sharing your pictures.

If it weren't for my wife of 32 years - I would be in a place similar, she just won't leave the grand childern and especially now with the Twins!

Drew

waksupi
11-07-2005, 01:51 AM
Drew, with two new grand young'uns, you have all you can do, right there, for some years to come. Grandparents are supposed to spoil the kids, fill them full of surgur, and send them home to thier parents. Don't forget to buy them both drum sets on thier secound birthdays!

FUDD
11-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Looks like the view I had out the kitchen window when I was cooking for the Lazy K Bar Ranch in Big Timber MT down in Sweetgrass county...

ammohead
11-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Ric,

I prefer my panther martins in plain gold or silver. Never got the hang of fly fishing. Kept catchin my hat! Nevada sure ain't Montana troutwise but we do have some decent spots to wet a line. I went fishin nearly every weekend this summer and wasn't skunked once. Is there a sticky on how to post pics like you have?

ammohead

waksupi
11-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Ammohead, I don't know as how we have a sticky on it, but it is pretty simple. You don't need a photo hosting place, just take them right from your computer.

To post pictures, go to the reply page. You see where you type in your reply. Then look further down the page. You will see the Submit Reply, and Preview Post buttons. Look below that. Do you see the Additional Options window?

Look at the second option, Attach Files. Click on the Manage Attachments button. You will then see the browse button. Click on this, and locate the file on your computer you wish to post. Click upload, and wait. A window will come up to tell you the file has been attached.

Once it is attached, click submit reply.

Once you have done it a time or two, it takes only seconds.

flhroy
11-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Some fish in the Columbia River are just too big to keep

flhroy
11-08-2005, 03:18 PM
But some you can.

flhroy
11-08-2005, 03:35 PM
But some you can

C1PNR
11-08-2005, 06:09 PM
flhroy, how are those Sturgeon for eating? We have some here in the Snake River not too far from where I fish for Smallmouth, Cats, and the occasional trout.

So far I've never fished for them REALLY big ones, but if they taste good, what the heck.8-)

flhroy
11-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Sturgeon eats pretty good, some say the best. Walleye is my favorite but sturgeon is pretty close. Its a firm white meat with no bones. Better check the regs before you keep one. Last I heard it was catch and release only on the Snake River for Sturgeon.

Later

Roy

krag35
11-08-2005, 09:37 PM
STURGEON

Here's a nice keeper from last year. How many other fish can you think of that have a slot limit between 42" and 60" :-)

krag35