PDA

View Full Version : 70% lead 30% tin

shad
03-06-2014, 06:26 PM
I have a friend that has 50 lb of 70% lead 30% tin I need to know how much I should pay per pound ? this is my first post so I hope its ok to post here . and yes I will be selling some of it on here :)

NewbieDave007
03-06-2014, 06:35 PM
First, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, you might get people to answer here but you might get more opinions in the lead section a few below "Our Town".

Third, if it was me I would break it up between the tin value and the lead value. Lead is around $1/# and so that leaves what you feel tin is valued at.

Good luck.
Dave

southpaw
03-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Welcome aboard!

It seems that the lead tin mixes in the swapping and selling section have been selling $10 pound for the tin content. Ok that was clear as mud. 50#'s time .3 equals 15#'s. So I would say that $150 dollars would be about right. Might even add another $35 for the lead in the mix.

Is this in original form or has it been melted into ingots?

Jerry Jr.

shad
03-06-2014, 06:58 PM
original form

NewbieDave007
03-06-2014, 07:00 PM
+1 with Jerry

Tom Myers
03-06-2014, 07:46 PM
I have a friend that has 50 lb of 70% lead 30% tin I need to know how much I should pay per pound ? this is my first post so I hope its ok to post here . and yes I will be selling some of it on here :)

If the alloy is indeed in its "original form" and by that, you mean in original commercial form then industry practice is to designate the first percentage value as the percentage of TIN and the second number as the percentage of LEAD.

If some person alloyed the metals and decided to designate the first number as the percentage of lead, then all bets are off.

bangerjim
03-06-2014, 08:00 PM
What you probably are looking at is some form of 70/30 tin/lead solder in a bar form. If it is actually stamped that way from the foundry, you are OK. If someone has recast it and marked it, no telling what you have.

banger

Cmm_3940
03-06-2014, 08:47 PM
V=M/P. Volume=mass over density, p=m/v, etc. weigh a spool/bar/chunk in grams. Put it in a kitchen measuring cup of water, use the change in water level to get volume in CC.

Density of lead is 11.342 grams per cubic centimeter
Density of tin is 7.287 grams per cubic centimeter

If you know its either 70/30 or 30/70 just figure out which its closest to. No need to be precise.

southpaw
03-06-2014, 08:50 PM
original form

Would this be bar form or on rolls? If you can post a pic that would be even better. There are some stickies around that tell how to post one. Or you can email it to me and I will post it for you.

Jerry Jr.

runfiverun
03-06-2014, 09:33 PM
70/30-80/20 [whatever] lead/tin mixes is how body lead was designated back when.
the tin content gave the body guy an idea of how vertical of a surface he could work on.

shad
03-07-2014, 11:59 PM
thank you and yes it is coming out of a body shop its in stick for still in wrapper so what should I pay

southpaw
03-08-2014, 08:26 AM
thank you and yes it is coming out of a body shop its in stick for still in wrapper so what should I pay

If this was in the swapping and selling section it would sell for $150-$180. I guess it would depend on if you planned on keeping it and using it for yourself or if you wanted to make some money on it.

Jerry Jr.

CGT80
03-08-2014, 03:41 PM
If you look for tin and lead to buy separately it will run $1 per pound or less for the lead, and rotometals has pure tin wire in 0.1 pound chunks (1.6 oz) for $19 per pound plus shipping.

35 pounds of lead = $35
15 pounds of tin = $285 plus shipping

total cost to buy elsewhere, up to $320 or more.

The tin from rotometals is guaranteed to be all tin. Pure lead isn't as big of a deal for smokeless powder users as long as we don't get zinc in the mix. You can buy range scrap, pure, or whatever deal you find.

Of course you don't want to pay full retail price, especially if you are going to try to sell it to other casters who can buy the tin separate.

Ask the friend what they think it is worth. If they are a good friend I wouldn't cheat them, and they probably wouldn't expect you to pay full price.

I'm sure people here would buy some of it, if it can be verified that it is 30% tin, however, we all like to hang on to our sweet metal. Do you have a supply of tin yet? Maybe you want to hang on to it.

If my math is right, you could add that solder to 715 pounds of range scrap, or wheel weights, maybe pure, and get a mix with 2% or more tin, depending on what the lead already had in it.

Welcome to the forum!

gbrown
03-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Hello. Welcome to the forum. Something you might do is look at the lead alloy calculator of Bumpo628. Go to lead and lead alloys and in the sticky section you will see the thread. I have it and another that I use. I find it to be very valuable. It also gives approximate costs, that may help you here. I have a lot of alloys, lead free solder, 60/40, 50/50, pewter, actual pure lead, COWW, and some "so called pure lead" that comes in at about 11 bhn. You will find that when dealing with "lead", its definitely "Caveat emptor." You never know what's your gonna get. I make up some alloy, then check it with a hardness tester after it ages a bit. Anyway, good luck and, again, welcome to the family.

garym1a2
03-08-2014, 10:25 PM
I would offer $50, take $100 max. Tin is too easy to find as scrap.