PDA

View Full Version : Slugging the bore - need some instructions

tmc-okc
03-06-2014, 03:31 PM
I am in the process of purchasing a set of Lee pass thru resizing dies for 9mm, 38 Spec, 357 Mag, 40 S&W and 44 Spec & Mag. All my previous reloading experience has been with store bought boolits and now I am going to "cast my own boolits". But before I buy the resizing dies I need to know the bore / throat diameter of each pistol & revolver so I can get the right size die(s). I have scoured this forum for instructions as to how to "Properly Slug My Bore" and have not found the info I am looking for. YouTube is full of stuff but not sure how much of it to believe. Rather lean of the experts in this house for good info.
Not wanting to get into trouble with a stuck boolit in the bore I cant get out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ron

Bwell
03-06-2014, 03:42 PM
I heard you can go out and buy some lead fishing weights (the ones you push the line though), and those will work and are cheap. Buy the ones that are close to your barrels diameter.

osteodoc08
03-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Whether its right or wrong, this is how I've done mine in the past.

I've always used a lead egg sinker. Buy an assortment and bring them home. I find one that will start in the bore (due to the egg shape) without too much excess. You will also need an oak dowel just slightly smaller than the bore. I then took an old oak blank and drilled a small divot for the egg sinker to sit in. I sprayed the barrel and sinker with Kroil. I then placed the egg sinker in the muzzle and tapped it with the oak plank over it with a rubber mallet. This drove it into the barrel. I then took my oak dowel and tapped it all the way through while being sure there was lubrication from the kroil all the wy down. Once through, measure with a micrometer, not a caliper. Add .001-.002 and start sizing.

To be honest, I've only slugged a few, more out of curiosity. Standard sizing has always worked for me. I had the throats of the 45C opened up on my Rugers to .4525. I believe dad sent them off to Cylindersmith.

mikedp
03-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Before you go through that expense of resizing dies, make sure it's necessary. I cast 9mm, 44 mag and 45 acp and have never slugged. Depends on what your bullets are dropping at. For example, my 9mm mold is dropping at 357.5 -358, with no leading. IMO if they can drop at +002-003...you may not need resizing. That's what works for me anyway. Others may chime in with something different.

bangerjim
03-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Sizing dies are soooooooooo cheap.......buy them all! You WILL use them! I have 11 sizes!

You will want them if you ever go to powder coating! And throw the ALOX away!!!!!!!! I did.

banger

pretzelxx
03-06-2014, 04:11 PM
There's a sticky with a video how to slug a 9mm. It shows how to use a fired shell to make a lead casting that's flat, not round, to get a more accurate reading.

osteodoc08
03-06-2014, 04:18 PM
Sizing dies are soooooooooo cheap.......buy them all! You WILL use them! I have 11 sizes!

You will want them if you ever go to powder coating! And throw the ALOX away!!!!!!!! I did.

banger

11? Thats it?! Small timing it I see. Bwahahahahaha[smilie=s:

Char-Gar
03-06-2014, 04:18 PM
I don't want to stand in the way of a man wanting to pound lead down his pistols orifices, but if you are not committed to that course of action, buy Lee sizer in:

.358 for your 9mm and 357 Magnum
.430 for your 44s

I know nothing about the 40 S&W so I won't offer counsel on something I know nothing about.

osteodoc08
03-06-2014, 04:22 PM
I know nothing about the 40 S&W so I won't offer counsel on something I know nothing about.

.401 has worked well for me.

ukrifleman
03-06-2014, 04:31 PM
98806I use candle wax to slug bores, it gives you a chamber cast as well as bore size. Just make sure that the bore is clean and free of lube before pouring the wax.

Be gentle when taking measurements, remember wax is soft.

ukrifleman.

jakec
03-06-2014, 04:58 PM
thats a dang good idea ukrifleman! ive only slugged 2 of mine but i poured a boolit out of soft lead and used a dowel to drive it through. ill be doing the wax thing now though. -jake

osteodoc08
03-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Are you using Paraffin (candle wax)?

bangerjim
03-06-2014, 05:36 PM
11? Thats it?! Small timing it I see. Bwahahahahaha[smilie=s:

That is all I need.............................FOR NOW!!!!!!!!! More to come.................[smilie=2:

banger

ukrifleman
03-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Are you using Paraffin (candle wax)?

Yes, candle wax (minus the wick!) I plug the bore with a paper plug, melt candles into a tin and gently pour into the bore.
Leave to cool, then gently tap out using some wooden dowel from the muzzle end, it should break free easily.
A word of caution, avoid overfilling the chamber with wax, it gets into the locking lug grooves etc and is a PITA to remove and will also prevent the slug from moving when you try to tap it out.

Remove any excess wax before trying to tap it out and GENTLY take measurements!
ukrifleman.

Cmm_3940
03-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Is there a reason not to put a fired case in the chamber before pouring stuff down the bore?

osteodoc08
03-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Is there a reason not to put a fired case in the chamber before pouring stuff down the bore?

You wouldn't be able to get a chamber cast.

Cmm_3940
03-06-2014, 10:08 PM
You wouldn't be able to get a chamber cast.

Isn't the bore measurement what I want for boolit sizing though? Is there an advantage to casting the whole chamber that's worth the extra mess?

osteodoc08
03-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Isn't the bore measurement what I want for boolit sizing though? Is there an advantage to casting the whole chamber that's worth the extra mess?

It tells you information about the chamber including dimensions of the chamber, throat and leade dimensions, ability for custom dies to be made, etc. Its just another piece to the puzzle of accuracy.

An excellent article:
http://www.lasc.us/bellmchambercasts.htm

stinjie
03-06-2014, 10:27 PM
By accident,I have ended up with a bullet stuck in the barrel,(powder didn't dump).After using a wood dowl to knock the bullet out,I had a bullet sized to the barrel.Would this be a bad or wrong way to slug a barrel?

hickfu
03-06-2014, 11:35 PM
That is a really cool way of getting a chamber cast.... As you say, be careful taking measurements though.. I am going to do this to all my rifles to get a better idea of the chamber.

Doc