PDA

View Full Version : Harrisburg, Pa. Gun Show??

oldfart1956
03-06-2014, 10:27 AM
Fellers I was looking at some upcoming gun shows and saw a listing for the Eastern National Gun Show coming up Mar.22/23 and before I waste 3 gallons of gas driving to Harrisburg Pa. was wondering if anyone had been to it. If it's gonna be a "tacticool and AR show" I'll just save some time and money. They list 1000 tables but we all know how that goes. Looks to be a bunch of shows in March here in Pa.!! Are there treasures there?? Audie...the Oldfart

Themoose
03-06-2014, 10:36 AM
OldFart,(I thought you was me, at least my wife calls me that... perhaps you are the mystery boyfriend I have suspected for 44 years)

To get to your question... I have been very disappointed in the last couple of Harrisburg gun shows... there were no where near the 1000 tables advertised and they had a lot of vendors selling jewelry, clothing, cheap knives, a lot of tactical stuff...there were some gun vendors, don't get me wrong... but most were selling more of the tactical stuff. Parking is an additional $8 on top of the admission fee... I prefer the York gunshow for more traditional guns. They still have the tactical of course, but doesn't seem to be as big a per centage.

Hope this helps you out.

TheMoose...

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-06-2014, 10:37 AM
IF I recall, it got cancelled last year due to some kind of shenanigans.
I went once when I was a kid and it was a cool show, but that was before
black pewpewpew's took over the gun world

bob208
03-06-2014, 10:59 AM
I used to get a table at the shows. but when they started charging to park plus then charge to get in I have not been back. another little problem you have to park at a satellite lot and ride the bus to the farm show building. but buy anything you can not take it on the bus because they are city buses.

I have been going to the local small shows. more of what I am interested in and less of the tactcool mall ninja stuff.

I don't know where you are from but there is a show in mount alto the same weekend.

shooter93
03-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Fees have been going up at those shows. I guess it boils down to why you're going. We go to a number of them just for a day out and about. Some of the shows are great and others not and there is no way of telling to you get there. If you're looking to buy powders or primers then your guess is as good as mine if any will be there reasonably. Truth is....you just never know how good or bad a show there will be but that holds true now for any show around here.

oldfart1956
03-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Thanks to all. Bob208 didn't even see the listing for Mount Alto and I have a friend/neighbor that sets up for that one. I just never know what I'm looking for but on some rare occasion I just find stuff. :) Love the shows put on by Hunters Gun Shows but nothing close in March. Again, many thanks. Audie..the Oldfart..

contender1
03-07-2014, 12:11 PM
If you are talking about the show coming up on March 22nd & 23rd, at the Farm Show Complex, I do know about that ONE & only show.
I have attended it as an exhibitor & seller for several years now. ONLY in March.
Why?
Well the Ruger Collectors Association has a display section in the middle of the show.
I display as well as sell a few things to help offset my expenses.

If you wish to see some of the rarest, most unusual, or just plain NICE Rugers, I strongly suggest you attend the show. Many of the countries top Ruger collectors will be showing some of their treasures. You can learn a LOT about Rugers, compare your guns to some we display, and even see things I'm SURE you will not see in most gun shows. We rival the Tulsa gun show displays, as well as the displays at the NRA convention. (I will add that many of the same folks who display in H'burg also do Tulsa & help with the NRA Convention.)
If you have a Ruger you feel is rare, you can bring it & have it looked at by the best people around.
Many guys have stated that the gun show itself is "about normal" for many shows, but the Ruger displays were well worth attending.
Now, I do know that the promoter who has done this show for as long as I've been going has sold it. A new promoter has taken over, so maybe some things will be different.

Next, there is also a group of WWII re-enactors who do a display set up as well. If you have an interest in that stuff,,, it's worth it.

And if anybody here does attend, I'll be the ugly bearded guy with (2) displays;
Titles are;
"Ruger collecting Terms 101"
and
"Ruger Patches, Pins & Decals."

Stop by & say "Hi" & that you saw this post!

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-07-2014, 01:26 PM
excess650
you are correct it was the sports show

shooter93
03-07-2014, 07:33 PM
I'm not Ruger fan contender1 but I do know you display very well. They are very nice guys.

contender1
03-08-2014, 09:56 PM
Thanks shooter93!!!!!!!

joelitespeed
03-10-2014, 08:26 AM
Contender, you may have just convinced me to attend this show. Typically harrisburg is not worth my time with the mentioned issues as above.

dpoe001
03-10-2014, 09:21 AM
i try to get to this show every year the gun show is at one end of the building and motorcycle swap meet at the other

oldfart1956
03-10-2014, 09:33 AM
DRAT! I'd about had myself convinced not to go. Bein's as how Grices and Bobs Army Navy is having their cabin fever sales that weekend or the following I might be broke anyways. I just keep thinking I might run across a Greener/Martini in 45/70 and I really need one of those. ;) Just a shooter mind ye...not a collector. And that Ruger display...hmmm?? Not a Ruger fanatic mind ye but I got 2...wait..3...uhhh...just a minute had to check the gun room...O.K.....got 5 and 1 out on loan. Make that 6...just found the Old Army!! Carp. I see a trip in my future. Audie...the Oldfart..

contender1
03-10-2014, 10:07 AM
If'n y'all do come to H'burg, drop by my displays & say "HI" so I can meet ya!