PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question

Charlie in Co
03-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Coww. I know the ww stands for wheel weights, what does the CO stand for ?

carbine86
03-05-2014, 04:28 PM
clip on =co so=stick on

meece
Clip on or clip on wheel weights
Usually the ones that have the steel clip to hook over the wheel rim.

fishhawk
clip on

Scharfschuetze
COWW = Clip on wheel weights
SOWW = Stick on wheel weights

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Charlie,

NOT A STUPID QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE RIGHT ON!

Many many people use abbreviations that mean absolutely NOTHING to many others.

I think that the texting thing is part of the problem.

This is one of my recent "things" and I am trying to help educate and make it clear that this destroys/decreases the usability of the forums and the transfer of good info.

I try for example to do something like the following when referring to a specific cast bullet profile. it only take a couple seconds more, and everyone is on the same page throughout the remainder of the thread.

----------- I really like Wide Flat Nose (WFN) cast bullets and find the WFN to be very effective on deer and elk. ---------

Once I have established the Wide Flat Nose and WFN to be of the same meaning, then "WFN" is good to go for the remainder of the post.

If we would all follow a similar process, it would greatly help all of us!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot (CDOC)

tazman
03-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Charlie,

NOT A STUPID QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE RIGHT ON!

Many many people use abbreviations that mean absolutely NOTHING to many others.

I think that the texting thing is part of the problem.

This is one of my recent "things" and I am trying to help educate and make it clear that this destroys/decreases the usability of the forums and the transfer of good info.

I try for example to do something like the following when referring to a specific cast bullet profile. it only take a couple seconds more, and everyone is on the same page throughout the remainder of the thread.

----------- I really like Wide Flat Nose (WFN) cast bullets and find the WFN to be very effective on deer and elk. ---------

Once I have established the Wide Flat Nose and WFN to be of the same meaning, then "WFN" is good to go for the remainder of the post.

If we would all follow a similar process, it would greatly help all of us!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot (CDOC)

+1 on that

RogerDat
03-05-2014, 05:00 PM
What Crusty suggests using full text to describe abbreviation or describe three letter acronym (TLA) is required in our technical communications and documentation. And a pretty good idea.
COWW and SOWW are common enough that I doubt that people will generally define them in their posts.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Sorry Roger, but I don't know what "COWW" and "SOWW" mean!

But then, I'm just a dumb Ol'Coot

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Charlie in Co
03-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Ok, being in the aerospace industry I'm quite used to the 3 or 4 letter acronym. Is there an alloy difference that requires SOWW or COWW nomenclature differentiation ?

John Boy
03-05-2014, 05:23 PM
The alloy hardness is implied ...
COWW = usually Bhn 13.5 or 15.4 for weights made currently
SOWW = Normal hardness is Bhn 5 - 5.5 (98% Pb)

dilly
03-06-2014, 05:03 PM
While on the subject of clarifying, I have to say I get lost in numerical making of molds. I get most of the acronyms but I have yet to memorize the weight and nose profile of very many molds.

osteodoc08
03-06-2014, 05:14 PM
COWW = Clip On Wheel Weight
SOWW = Stick On Wheel Weight
WW = Wheel Weight
AC = Air Cooled
WC = Water Cooled
WQ = Water Quenched
HT = Heat Treated
GC = Gas Check
LFN = Long Flat Nose
WFN = Wide Flat Nose
RN = Round Nose
FN = Flat Nose
Pb = elemental symbol for lead
Zn = elemental symbol for Zinc
Sn = elemental symbol for Tin
Sb = elemental symbol for Antimony

Keith = Elmer Keith. A "Keith bullet" is his characteristic bullet shape popularized by Elmer Keith characterized by 3 equal width driving bands, square grease groove, wide meplat (the flat front of the boolit)

NOE = Night Owl Enterprise, an excellent mold maker
MP = Brass molds made by MiHa/MiHec from Slovenia, also excellent

That's all I can think of right now.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Your right on Dilly!

If people would at least preface the number with the name of the mold maker, Lyman, RCBS, Accurate Molds, NOE ( which by the way stands for Night Owl Enterprises) etc and then give the number it would not take long and give the rest of us something to work with.

I find that some molds from some makers seem to also be mis-numbered. For example a person might be looking for a .44 mold and find a number of say something like .436-260CG.

Ok, I can deal with the 260 likely to be the estimated weight of the bullet, but I'd doubt the bullet which is listed in the .44 grouping is really casting .436 when it is likely to be needed in a diameter of .429 to .431

I am looking for some molds, and fear I will need to ask the mold maker some dumb questions just to make sure I am asking for the correct size.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

osteodoc08
03-06-2014, 05:26 PM
While on the subject of clarifying, I have to say I get lost in numerical making of molds. I get most of the acronyms but I have yet to memorize the weight and nose profile of very many molds.

Don't feel bad, I look them up all the time. The search function and Google is my friend.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-06-2014, 05:36 PM
A w ry so b t we c' tk te tme to write things out?

I really doubt it and Your abbreviations or mine can be anything you or I want it to be and really has no meaning for others.

Wheel weights (WW) are commonly consider to be Clip on by everyone, so there needs to be no other comment made, but if a person is referring to the Stick On verity or Zinc or???, simple say it. Doesn't take you long and leaves no questions in anyone's mind.

The abbreviations for such things as elements are and have been for a very long time listed and known by those dealing with such things. But for the rest of us, the symbol for an element, Iron, Lead, Silver, etc. etc. is seldom if ever used and never learned. What is so hard about just writing, "Iron"?

Even the slowest of us can understand that and it was only one or two key strokes more then the symbol.

I know, just an Ol'Coot's opinion.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

mpmarty
03-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Yes and when I was in the service we used FLAs for TLAs. Four letter acronyms for Three letter acronyms. Confused yet???

gbrown
03-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Yes and when I was in the service we used FLAs for TLAs. Four letter acronyms for Three letter acronyms. Confused yet???

AR25-50, I believe, spells out the standards for abbreviations in the Army. If an unusual abbreviation is to be used, the first time it is used, the term is spelled out with the abbreviations stated. Then, it can be used in following passages. I.E., "We use Clip-on Wheel Weights. (COWW)" A good habit to use or follow. I usually don't do this around here, but considering that there are new people seeking to cast boolits, let's encourage them as much as possible.

sidecarmike
03-06-2014, 08:50 PM
WW = Wheel Weight
AC = Air Cooled
WC = Water Cooled
WQ = Water Quenched
HT = Heat Treated
GC = Gas Check
LFN = Long Flat Nose
WFN = Wide Flat Nose
RN = Round Nose
FN = Flat Nose

Keith = Elmer Keith. A "Keith bullet" is his characteristic bullet shape popularized by Elmer Keith characterized by 3 equal width driving bands, square grease groove, wide meplat (the flat front of the boolit)

TL =Tumble Lube.
HB =Hollow base
BT =Boat Tail

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-06-2014, 09:48 PM
Well said gbrown!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Oh so simple!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Full Mold Jack
03-07-2014, 09:45 AM
I yell at the Officers and Junior NCO's for this all the time Introduce the acronyms and do not mix meaning .. example ASAP do you mean Army Substance Abuse Program, As Soon As Possiable, Automated Student Access Program, or ??. Military are the worst offender of this, used to you could not use the acronym unless you could explain what it's meaning was, today they have no clue or are totally wrong.
I'll have to agree with OL'Coot it does leave one wondering the intent of the message, while most the time I can follow along I still wonder if they meant something else.

What's an NCO?

Janoosh
03-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Osteodoc08...Add this one to your list...GG...had me confused for the longest time...grease groove.
NCO......non commissioned of officer.

s mac
03-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Deciphering boolit lingo is one thing, but then somebody uses something like swmbo (sic?) it really loses me.

Full Mold Jack
03-07-2014, 10:33 AM
Thanks Janoosh, I often see acronyms and words used for methods here I don't fully understand. I think a stupid questions thread is good place to ask these.

Echo
03-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Clip on - Clip On Wheel Weights

Cmm_3940
03-07-2014, 11:01 AM
WW = Wheel Weight
AC = Air Cooled
WC = Water Cooled
WQ = Water Quenched
HT = Heat Treated
GC = Gas Check
LFN = Long Flat Nose
WFN = Wide Flat Nose
RN = Round Nose
FN = Flat Nose

TL =Tumble Lube.
HB =Hollow base
BT =Boat Tail

TMI. :kidding:

lwknight
03-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Here is one that peeves me:
Gee, I got this here 50/50 alloy mixed up. What hardness should it be?

What the hey is 50/50 what?
Most of us can guess that its clip weights and sticky weights but it still is vulgar( look up the word "vulgar" in the dictionary) .

rhead
03-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Why not acronyms for groups of acronyms. Or six letter words for common sentences. (See "Gulf" by Robert Heinlein) It gets ridiculous after a while. Is there a sticky that is devoted solely to acronyms?

rhead
03-08-2014, 10:26 AM
Deciphering boolit lingo is one thing, but then somebody uses something like swmbo (sic?) it really loses me.

She who must be obeyed. from the book "SHE" by H. R. Haggard. usually referring to the wife.

alamogunr
03-08-2014, 10:35 AM
WW = Wheel Weight
AC = Air Cooled
WC = Water Cooled
WQ = Water Quenched
HT = Heat Treated
GC = Gas Check
LFN = Long Flat Nose
WFN = Wide Flat Nose
RN = Round Nose
FN = Flat Nose

What is the difference between WC & WQ? Or are they interchangeable?

Very good list that covers the most common abbreviations.

s mac
03-08-2014, 05:51 PM
She who must be obeyed. from the book "SHE" by H. R. Haggard. usually referring to the wife.

Now it makes sense. Thanks.

Airman Basic
03-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Why not acronyms for groups of acronyms. Or six letter words for common sentences. (See "Gulf" by Robert Heinlein) It gets ridiculous after a while. Is there a sticky that is devoted solely to acronyms?
Agreed. There's three kinds of people in the world, the ones who can count, and the ones who can't.

mdi
03-09-2014, 11:58 AM
I agree with Coot! It's just being lazy (or wanting to be one of the "cool" guys and abbreviate). Many time a 3 letter acronym relates to nothing in the post to give a clue what it means. I like to ask what the he** GMAW (or whatever stupid abbreviation is used) just to irritate the OP...(for the benefit of those not familiar with OP; Original Poster).

TXGunNut
03-09-2014, 12:57 PM

That's an area where rules vary from mould to mould. Usually the first two or three digits designate the caliber or diameter. The next three are used by Lyman, for example, to designate the profile and quite often the top punch recommended. Other makers, like Lee, use the next two or three to designate nominal boolit weight for a given alloy. Sometimes the last three are little more than a catalog number and have nothing to do with shape or weight. If a mould is modified or has some optional feature a letter or two is tacked on to designate that variation, eg TL for Lee's Tumble Lube grooves, GG for traditional grease grooves, GC for gas check and so on.

jonp
03-09-2014, 07:37 PM
What is the difference between WC & WQ? Or are they interchangeable?

Very good list that covers the most common abbreviations.

That is my question. Anyone?

osteodoc08
03-09-2014, 07:45 PM
That is my question. Anyone?

Nothing.

Just different wording for the same thing.

Full Mold Jack
03-09-2014, 08:13 PM
WC = wad cutter

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-09-2014, 10:07 PM
Or, Water Cooled/quenched.

Just say it!

Crusty Deary 'Coot

Cmm_3940
03-10-2014, 05:16 AM
WC = wad cutter

And, of course,

SWC = semi wad cutter
DEWC = double ended wad cutter
HBWC = hollow base wad cutter
RN = Round Nose
RF = Round Flat
TC = Truncated Cone

SP/SPT... Soft point, spire point, spitzer,... Look at the boolit/bullet and take your best guess..

mdi
03-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Haven't seen COW in a while...

sidecarmike
03-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Haven't seen COW in a while...

Here you go...

mdi
03-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Here you go...

:groner::mrgreen::mrgreen: Looks like they're in their Sunday best going to Church...

mold maker
03-11-2014, 12:16 PM
At our hospital they used COWs??? Computer on wall, later replaced by COW, computer on wheels. I found out about all this when I had a, KSILK, kidney stone in left kidney.
When I got the bill they didn't abbreviate the price.

sidecarmike
03-11-2014, 12:23 PM
:groner::mrgreen::mrgreen: Looks like they're in their Sunday best going to Church...
It isn't even a Photoshop. It is part of an advertising campaign for a Dutch Dairy. The sidecar has a ramp on the back and the cow walks in and sits down like a dog.
Watch the video here (http://www.tvspots.tv/video/871/campina-melkunie--shake-it)

mdi
03-12-2014, 11:31 AM
The COW I was thinking about was Cream Of Wheat (whaz the matter, can't you read my mind???). COW is often used as a filler, I tried it in my .44 shooting lead bullets with heavy loads to help prevent/remove leading...