PDA

View Full Version : Chief Justice Rehnquist has passed away

fatnhappy
09-04-2005, 06:33 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9194092/

Bret4207
09-04-2005, 07:52 AM
Hope the man finds peace. But, now the fireworks will REALLY start.

fatnhappy
09-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Unfortunately, I believe you're right.

The current process of vetting candidates is so venomous the tendency seems to be to select lukewarm prospects with uncluttered track records as jurists. I'm unsure that we're getting the best and most qualified candidates anymore. Not to slight Roberts, but he never sat on a bench, doesn't have a record of documented opinion, and always argued the case of his client (which incidently I don't hold against him since that's his job, to advocate for his client.)

Why can't we select opinionated jurists like Scalia anymore?

[smilie=b:

shooter575
09-04-2005, 02:44 PM
Fatnhappy said
I say pick one and use the nucular option. The court is the republicans to name. Screw the libs.

grumble
09-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Fatnhappy said
I say pick one and use the nucular option. The court is the republicans to name. Screw the libs.

Wish it were that simple.

I'm about as conservative as anyone, but I sure don't want an ideological supreme court. There will come a time, on some issue, that the blanket Republican opinion won't be the best thing for the country. You can pick almost any issue, and there will be valid arguments on multiple sides that need to be considered. I don't like theocracies, and I don't like dogmatic court opinions. Some diversity is needed.

Except on the 2nd Amendment, that is. <GGG>

I sure hope Scalia get appointed as Chief Justice, though. He's one of the smartest people I've ever read or listened to.