PDA

View Full Version : Best method for cleaning the spout area on Lee 10 lb bottom pour pot.

tazman
03-05-2014, 12:28 AM
I have an ancient Lee 10lb bottom pour pot that I have been using off and on for about 30 years. I have finally run enough alloy through it that the stream is getting very thin and intermittent. I have drained and cleaned the interior of the pot but I can't see a good way to clean the spout hole.
I tried a torch but this only helped for a few minutes and didn't clean it. I tried a small nail but there seems to be a bend in the spout hole and the nail won't go all the way through.
I don't want to destroy it trying something forceful.
This is an issue I've never had with this pot before.
I am open for suggestions here and defer to your greater experience.
Thanks in advance

KYShooter73
03-05-2014, 02:56 AM
On the 20lb bottom pour, I drain it, remove the plunger, rub it down with course steel wool, and swirl steel wool around down inside the spout. I also get out my flashlight and use a small pick or screwdriver to chip out any gunk down in the spout.

bruce drake
03-05-2014, 04:47 AM
I bought a Lyman Ladle and then screwed a wood screw into the nozzle and took out the plunger mechanism. Did that 15 years ago and its been a great pot ever since.

357shooter
03-05-2014, 05:39 AM
I use a paper clip, a medium size one. It'll fit through the hole just fine. I don't think there is a bend in it, the nail must be to big.

tazman
03-05-2014, 08:47 AM
I use a paper clip, a medium size one. It'll fit through the hole just fine. I don't think there is a bend in it, the nail must be to big.

That is a possibility. I didn't have a lot to choose from last night. It seemed to go part way in then hit an obstruction of some kind. as if it wanted to turn slightly. I may be wrong about that as the pot was still hot and had some lead in it. I will check it again today as things are cooler.

.5mv^2
03-05-2014, 09:18 AM
I have run wooden shafted cotton swabs into a Lee 10lb hot pot. I use a forceps and push them in. Clears it right up.

TheDoctor
03-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Learn from my pain, don't use ANYTHING that may have a cutting edge. The drip-o-matic will instantly convert to a gush-o-matic. Nothing like finding a 10 pound blob on your bench.

Walter Laich
03-05-2014, 10:57 AM
I've also had good luck with the bent paper clip. I use it when the pot is hot and lead melted. Use pliers and sounds like you have something stuck so first time will be harder. One time I had to do it a number of times till the junk got away from the inside of the spout and could come to the surface.

Bohica793
03-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Also, make sure you clean your plunger as residue on it will causes issues.

tazman
03-05-2014, 03:52 PM
The bent paperclip did the trick. Back to normal flow now.
Thanks for the help

Mike W1
03-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Make something convenient, if the flows not steady something like this usually remedies it.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Mike4245/HPIM1925_zpsfbd96318.jpg

wistlepig1
03-05-2014, 06:49 PM
I use a piece of bailing wire with an "L" bend. Turn on the pot, put one or two pieces of lead in pot, put something to catch Hot lead. With gloved hand work wire into snout and work it around. problem solved, has work for years in my 35 year old Lee 10lb pot. Like others have said, clear rod with mid sandpaper or steel wool before you start above.