PDA

View Full Version : International church-building!

trochilids
03-04-2014, 05:23 AM
My wife and I and our 13 year old daughter are leaving Tuesday night with 17 other students and adults from our local church school to head to the Dominican Republic for a couple weeks. While we hope to trade in some Alaska weather for Caribbean sunshine, we are going with the primary purpose to build a church with Maranatha Volunteers International for a community in Santo Domingo. I did such a mission trip to central Mexico in 1988 as a student from Idaho and it changed my life. We are hoping that the lives of our young people on this trip will be similarly changed.

Prayers for safety and that we will be open to God's leading are appreciated. See you back in a couple weeks!

This will also mark the longest period I haven't had a handgun within arms reach in many moons... :veryconfu

DLCTEX
03-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Have a safe trip and God bless you.

mhat
03-04-2014, 10:11 PM
There is a local Baptist Church here that is going to the Dominican Republic next week too. I'll be praying for your group and our local group.

Mark.

missionary5155
03-06-2014, 08:00 AM
Good morning
May God bless your time there in the sun in His service keeping you safe from injury and the nasty microbs that can be encountered. May your times be filled with joy and your hearts awakened to God's working.
Mike in Peru

trochilids
03-20-2014, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the warm thoughts, prayers, and wishes. We returned yesterday from our trip and I can report it was a super experience. We escaped any illness and injury and were successful in completing the church for the local congregation. I was struck most by the wonderful people of the Dominican Republic. The people in the neighborhood where the church was being built were very poor, but they were clean and did their absolute best with what they had. We made many friends and had a wonderful time. We learned a lot and came back with a new appreciation for the blessings we have in our part of the country as well as the blessings we received simply by fellowshipping with brothers and sisters in another part of the country. I would highly recommend the experience to anyone interested in learning more about themselves! We're already planning to do it again in 2 years when our church and school go on another Mission Trip. Very fun!

missionary5155
03-20-2014, 05:49 AM
Good morning and Praise to our God !
Your time there will be a fond memory those Brothers and Sisters will remember for many years.
That neighborhood will also have seen not all Americans are exploiters.. some have compasion that makes the real difference.
Mike in Peru

wch
03-20-2014, 07:58 AM
double post..

wch
03-20-2014, 07:58 AM
May God bless you all, and your efforts.