PDA

View Full Version : Capsicum in the eye.

JeffinNZ
03-04-2014, 04:25 AM
I was given some 'peppers' for the hot house and some are ripe. I wasn't sure if they were the sweet variety or the hot type so I cut one this evening and tried it. Hot. That's cool. Put it aside and finished getting dinner ready for the girls. Late on sitting in front of the TV I rubbed my right eye. HOLY MOLY! For the next ten minutes I was neither use or ornament. Unbelieveable burning. Now I know why the LEO's use it in spray form. I slopped milk into my eye and then a bag of frozen peas on it. Took a while to come right but good now.

Live and learn.......[smilie=1:

LUBEDUDE
03-04-2014, 04:29 AM
An innocent mistake many have made. Glad all is well.

MaryB
03-04-2014, 04:36 AM
Could have been worse, you could have gone to the bathroom and touched something sensitive...

fred2892
03-04-2014, 04:37 AM
Reminds me of the first time I cut some really hot peppers and soon after went to point Percy at the porcelain. That brought tears to the eyes too.

merlin101
03-04-2014, 04:50 AM
after went to point Percy at the porcelain.

LOL! At first I wondered WHERE Point Percy was! [smilie=b:

Cmm_3940
03-04-2014, 05:36 AM
LOL Yep, been there, done that, got the t-shirt. :) I cut up a big batch of jalapeņos, serranos, cayennes, and habaņeros once without gloves. I got all that nice juice in my skin and finger joints. whoooweee!! :holysheep

gon2shoot
03-04-2014, 06:22 AM
Don't do that. :!:

Pb2au
03-04-2014, 06:27 AM
Reminds me of the first time I cut some really hot peppers and soon after went to point Percy at the porcelain. That brought tears to the eyes too.

Made the same mistake myself. Kind of awkward to explain to my wife.
I actually did wash my hands, but that oil tends to linger on. As irritating my situation was, I can only imagine how bad it was in the eye.

TheDoctor
03-04-2014, 08:50 AM
Did that as a kid. Was growing cayenne peppers in the garden, some were really ripe when I was picking, and one mushed in my hand. Had a eye itch. Eye and whole side of face was red and inflamed. 30 minutes with a water hose kinda put the fire out, but it still hurt for days. I am very very careful with peppers of any kind now. I had gasoline in my eye before, and it was not as bad as that pepper juice.

Col4570
03-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Theres a thing,how come our guts can tolerate Hot peppers yet the extremities (down there) are out of bounds to those feiry little buggers.

fouronesix
03-04-2014, 09:40 AM
I discovered that when about 3 years old. Most everyone in law enforcement has been sprayed with pepper spray during training and orientation about the use of pepper spray. I always thought it would work well if sprayed into a pot of pinto beans.

lancem
03-04-2014, 10:13 AM
My best surprise was putting in my contact lenses in the morning after an evening prepping peppers. Don't know if the oils were on the contacts from taking them out the night before or still on my fingers in the morning, but trying to get that lens out was the most challenging thing I ever had to get out of my eye.

Harter66
03-04-2014, 10:33 AM
I can honestly say ''I've learned from the mistakes of others'' in this regard .

My oldest daughter was a pepper eating fool from about 8-13 or so then developed horrible ulcers ,just about the same time her appendix let go. The docs said it was more likely stress than hot peppers that caused the ulcers . she quit the perpetual peppers w/everything limiting it to some jalpinos on nachos and medium sauces and been good every since. I on the other hand never tolerated the hot stuff ...... until my appedix let go now if I can get past my mouth its good to go except cayanne and that will cause a 2 way perge every time in any amount past a tickle for flavor.

Actually I was doing a quick trip down memory lane and My Grand mother was cutting some unusually hot onions when I was 4-5 I helped her pick up after the prep . I rubbed my eye that was already starting to water w/the finger that i'd gotten the onion juice/residue on....... Thats probably when I learned about hot food to the eyes and sensitive parts.

cheese1566
03-04-2014, 10:35 AM
flush with lots of cool water and lots of moving air. Some use tear free baby shampoo.
Never wipe , but you can blot with clean paper towels if you change every time.
Never apply crimes, salves, or lotions as it will hold in those little darn devil capsaciums!

Imagine being pepper sprayed, then having to do a hands on defensive tactics drill using a baton, knee strikes, hand strikes, and drawing a sidearm, then handcuffing someone! After that, after only five minutes of water and air to decon, taking a written test to pass your OC Instructor certification. No fun:sad:

DLCTEX
03-04-2014, 11:39 AM
An area restaurant served cooked jalapeno peppers with Fajitas and my wife was wondering if the cooking took the majority of the heat away, as she is very sensitive to the pepper heat,. I tried a bite since I'm pretty tolerant to the heat. As I bit the pepper, juice squirted and ran down my chin and in my mouth, instant fire! That was the hottest jalapeno I ever tasted. Ice tea, bread, tortillas, the meat from the Fajita, anything I could try did not stop the burning for hours. The next morning I had a red trail down my chin where the juice ran. I didn't dare touch any part of my body until washing repeatedly with hot, soapy water. I now test peppers by first a lick, then just bite the tip and not get into the seed cavity until deemed fit for human consumption.

canthitsquat
03-04-2014, 11:46 AM
I love these suckers, but learned a long time ago not to touch anything you don't want to kill after handling them!98525

DLCTEX
03-04-2014, 11:46 AM
The heat of jalapeno peppers is unpredictable to the extent that picante sauce cannot be predicted as to heat from batch to batch. OSU developed a no-heat jalapeno for Pace so they can add it for flavor, then control the heat with a measured amount of habenero juice, added by drops. My wife and son used to work for a BBQ sauce manufacturer and he had mil, medium, and hot sauces. You had to taste the individual batch to see what you had. Texas A&M bred a low heat variety called TAM mild that still can vary from mild to wild even when picked from the same plant, it's just never extremely wild.

Garyshome
03-04-2014, 11:49 AM
It will feel better when it stops hurting! Wise words from Wolfman

Tatume
03-04-2014, 11:57 AM
One training task for U.S. Coast Guard boarding petty officers is to holster an inert training handgun, and hold both eyes open with both hands while the trainer squirts mil-spec pepper spray into both eyes. The trainer then attempts to take the handgun away from the other fellow. If he gets it, the prospective boarding officer fails, and will have to do the test again at a later date. It is not fun, but it demonstrates that most things can be overcome. It also teaches the boarding officer to protect his weapon AND his pepper spray.

I've never been through this training, but I've been present and watched. I also got downwind and got a mild dose as a reward for my inattention. Even that was an event I don't want to repeat.

Dale in Louisiana
03-04-2014, 12:13 PM
The heat of jalapeno peppers is unpredictable to the extent that picante sauce cannot be predicted as to heat from batch to batch. OSU developed a no-heat jalapeno for Pace so they can add it for flavor, then control the heat with a measured amount of habenero juice, added by drops. My wife and son used to work for a BBQ sauce manufacturer and he had mil, medium, and hot sauces. You had to taste the individual batch to see what you had. Texas A&M bred a low heat variety called TAM mild that still can vary from mild to wild even when picked from the same plant, it's just never extremely wild.

They'll darned sure 'unbreed' and cross-breed, too.

Dad was an avid gardener and saver of seeds. His garden included cayennes, sweet Italian peppers, peter peppers (http://mostlycajun.com/wordpress/?p=2199#more-2199) and other varieties, and he was good (or bad - your choice) about saving seeds from year to year. Let me tell you: This year's mild Italian pepper, after cross-pollinating with all those little bits of vegetable napalm, is NOT next year's mild Italian pepper.

dale in Louisiana

John Allen
03-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Jeff, I have done the same thing. I cut some up in the morning and then sometime in the afternoon rubbed my eyes. I even washed my hands really well at least twice in between. I will wear gloves from now on.

uscra112
03-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Could have been worse, you could have gone to the bathroom and touched something sensitive...

That actually happened to a friend of mine, years ago. We were chowing down on those hot peppers they serve in Chinese restaurants, and drinking a lot of beer, and......... We had to pay up and get him home in a hurry!

CastingFool
03-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Water won't cool it down, you need milk or bread to take the heat away.

Riverpigusmc
03-04-2014, 01:18 PM

Try getting frisky with the wife after eating jalepenos and forgetting to wash up. Did I mention she is my first ex? Never saw her dance like that before...

Rick Hodges
03-04-2014, 01:33 PM
OMG you guys are killing me...frisky with the now ex.....dancing like that.....lol.....

Multigunner
03-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Ever hear of the Guatemalan Insanity Peppers?

472x1B/A
03-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Water won't cool it down, you need milk or bread to take the heat away.

This works well, but also try sugar. Take a teaspoon of sugar, or a sugar packet, and put it in your mouth to take away the burning sensation. You do have to hold it there for a minute or two for it to work.

dagger dog
03-04-2014, 05:48 PM
A buddy of mine ruined his soft contacts, (this was before the disposables), he made a bunch of salsa with fresh jalapenos, didn't wash his hands , removed the contacts from the soak and popped one in his eye, almost poked his eye out trying to remove the lens. He had handled both and the contamination wouldn't wash out.

Hickory
03-04-2014, 05:56 PM
The next worst thing I can think of is going to the bathroom and grabbing your lizard.

gwpercle
03-04-2014, 06:00 PM
LOL Yep, been there, done that, got the t-shirt. :) I cut up a big batch of jalapeņos, serranos, cayennes, and habaņeros once without gloves. I got all that nice juice in my skin and finger joints. whoooweee!! :holysheep
"Once...without gloves." Yeah.. Me too, but only once....you never forget the gloves after that experience. My hands didn't stop burning for hours...I will NEVER do that again.

Gary

daengmei
03-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Never saw her dance like that before...
My Thai wife's garden is 80% peppers....she has danced many times!:grin:

tomme boy
03-04-2014, 07:45 PM
The next worst thing I can think of is going to the bathroom and grabbing your lizard.

Been there, done that! We used to grow about 10 different kinds of peppers to make our own salsa and hot pepper sauce. I can not remember what the ones that were insanely hot were called. They were about 1/2" long and looked like a miniature chili pepper. They were hotter than habaneros. I would dry these out in our food drier and then grind them up to a powder. I used these to add heat to anything I wanted. Anyway, I spilled a little on the counter filling a shaker up. So, I just swept the stuff up with a paper towel. Right then I really had a to go #1. I went in not even thinking and did not take off the latex gloves. Needless to say, I got more on the floor, wall shower than in the bowl. The old lady laughed her *** off.

Multigunner
03-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Vicks Vaporub can cause a similar reaction if you get the urge to purge while applying it to your chest and the flu has you down so you aren't thinking straight.

Bullwolf
03-05-2014, 01:20 AM
Ive done the same thing. I grow fresh jalapeno's in my garden. One year while slicing peppers up preparing to can (jar?) them, I got stupid and rubbed an itchy eye. I was even wearing nitrile gloves at the time. Probably because of how badly my fingers burned the previous year after slicing peppers.

Well, lets just say I won't ever be making that mistake again. Freshly chopped jalapeno peppers are quite potent, heck even canned ones are pretty strong when fresh, but they seem to grow milder over time.

I'm sure it wasn't as bad as being pepper sprayed in the face, but it wasn't very pleasant either.

- Bullwolf

bruce drake
03-05-2014, 01:21 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?152580-Napalm-in-a-bottle

Jeesh Louise! Jeff! Didn't you learn from the first time I sent you some Blair's After-Death Sauce...I guess I'm going to have to pick up another bottle to send out to you!

Bruce

MaryB
03-05-2014, 01:40 AM
I was grinding chili peppers for my annual batch of chili powder. I make my own blend from 12 different peppers. I am pretty much used to the pepper dust up the nose and in my eyes... friend walked in the kitchen and I thought I was going to have to take him to the hospital. He coughed for a day. Other than a runny nose and burning eyes it wasn't that bad to me...

facetious
03-05-2014, 04:45 AM
A long time a go on the Johny Carson show thy had some old guy on the show just for being real old or some thing, any way thy asked him what was the most important thing that he ever learned. He said " Never leave the Vicks on the head board.":drinks:

JeffinNZ
03-05-2014, 04:55 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?152580-Napalm-in-a-bottle

Jeesh Louise! Jeff! Didn't you learn from the first time I sent you some Blair's After-Death Sauce...I guess I'm going to have to pick up another bottle to send out to you!

Bruce

Yeah, well, oddly enough as I was flailing around house eyes and nose running a marathon, searing pain threatening my vision, eye puckered up like a cat's backside, I did actually think about your 'present'. Strange that. I was sure I would have your heart felt sympathy though. [smilie=1:

lead-1
03-05-2014, 05:17 AM
Way back when I was on the volunteer fire dept. I heard tails of the older guys training in an old house trailer, they would do search and ventilation training by dropping a smoke grenade in a metal bucket to fill the trailer. One day we were cleaning out a bunch of junk from the storage areas and I found one of these grenades with no readable markings, after some deliberation I was informed that I could pull the pin and throw it so I did.
A good firm throw yeilded a bouncing can with grape kool ade looking liquid splashing about but no smoke, dang a dud. Several minutes passed and I walked out to it, carefully touched it to make sure it wasn't hot and then just grabbed it to toss in the trash bin, HOLY SMOKES, BATMAN it must have a tear gas dud. The vapor hit my face and the liquid on my hand, the eyes slammed shut and I had to be led into the station.
A few minutes passed and I could get my eyes open again and had washed my hands but without thinking I went to the sink and wet my hands and splashed water on my face and it all came back to me what I had done earlier, lol.
I don't like peppers or tear gas.

fouronesix
03-05-2014, 12:11 PM

No joke! Most LE training used to include the obligatory CS or CN gas and of course expanded to include pepper spray in later years as it began to be used. I can't remember which, but one of the tear gas types affected me MUCH more than the other. I noticed slight differences in the way different people reacted to all that stuff.

Love Life
03-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Way back when I was on the volunteer fire dept. I heard tails of the older guys training in an old house trailer, they would do search and ventilation training by dropping a smoke grenade in a metal bucket to fill the trailer. One day we were cleaning out a bunch of junk from the storage areas and I found one of these grenades with no readable markings, after some deliberation I was informed that I could pull the pin and throw it so I did.
A good firm throw yeilded a bouncing can with grape kool ade looking liquid splashing about but no smoke, dang a dud. Several minutes passed and I walked out to it, carefully touched it to make sure it wasn't hot and then just grabbed it to toss in the trash bin, HOLY SMOKES, BATMAN it must have a tear gas dud. The vapor hit my face and the liquid on my hand, the eyes slammed shut and I had to be led into the station.
A few minutes passed and I could get my eyes open again and had washed my hands but without thinking I went to the sink and wet my hands and splashed water on my face and it all came back to me what I had done earlier, lol.

Nothing quite like a trip to the gas chamber to clear your sinuses, and OC spray is the devil.

I wear gloves whenever I chop peppers.

Dale in Louisiana
03-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Back when I was drill sergeant at Fort Polk, the gas chamber was one of those milestones in the basic training cycle. It was interesting.

Of further interest, though, was some additional training we permanent party got to experience in crowd control (this was in the early '70's' - riots were the preferred method of acquiring furniture in inner cities). We got to play with CS (tear gas) hand grenades, rifle grenades(!!!), and the little Might Mite backpack sprayer with micropulverized CS powder. It got a lot of the good stuff out in the area FAST.

We also played with a flamethrower converted to spray CS micropulverized, too.

I'll take my chances with hot peppers.

dale in Louisiana

Old School Big Bore
03-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Been there, done that, got the certification and the T-shirt re OC spray. I am inured to eating very hot peppers but when it comes to OC, I WOULD RATHER GET TASED! Growing up, one friend's dad (a C00n@$$) raised & intentionally crossed a variety of chiles including the demonic local Chilitpin (1,000,000 Scoville units) and blended his own hot sauce (my earliest contact with HazMat). My personal preference is for flavor, not heat - I like the milder chiles. I had six or so different chiles in the garden last season, one of which was the Tam, and I'm glad it was a prolific bush because it's a GREAT little pepper, and I'm gonna plant several this year. I bought one starter last year that was supposed to be a Jumbo Stuffer jalapeno but put out some little purple micro-bells, and one that was supposed to be a Yummy Snacker but put out Giant Marconis; complaining to Bonnie got zero results. Here are my tips for selecting and prepping any peppers - when you buy Jalapenos, and want the mildest ones, look for three things - firmness, brightness of color, and absence of the little white cracks. All are indicators of age, and it takes time for the OC to migrate from the seeds and seedbed into the outer flesh. The darker and flabbier, the longer it's been off the bush. And the white cracks - they look like little stretch-marks - show that the pepper was on the bush long enough to mature and generate a LOT of OC and leach it out to the flesh. Buy the crispest, lightest green, unblemished ones. When you slice them, take time to seed them. I cut the stem end off, quarter them lengthwise, and use a little paring knife to strip the white seed bed and seeds away (I call it field dressing or gutting), then cut the quarters into whatever shape/size I need. If you see tiny orange streaks in the seedbed, relegate that pepper to a dish that's slated for hot peppers; that orange stuff is raw OC and that pepper is already too mature to be mild. If you want nacho rings, cut the stem end off and core the guts out with an apple corer, then slice them. The apple corer works for stuffers, too, in fact I'm about to stuff some with cream cheese and wrap them with bacon for lunch. If you carefully select your Jalas and completely gut them, they can be as mild as Bells. NEVER put pepper guts down the disposer, the vapor will attack anyone even near the kitchen and will incapacitate me til I flush the disposer with a lot of water. The best things I've found to decon my hands as well as cutting boards, knives etc is hot dishwater, especially with a bit of bleach in it, and a hot water rinse, but vinegar works well, as does milk, if you want to waste vinegar or milk...

bruce drake
03-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Yeah, well, oddly enough as I was flailing around house eyes and nose running a marathon, searing pain threatening my vision, eye puckered up like a cat's backside, I did actually think about your 'present'. Strange that. I was sure I would have your heart felt sympathy though. [smilie=1:

Enough sympathy to buy you another bottle and some "sweets" to mail to you next week!!!

Bruce

turmech
03-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Take from someone who has had booth tear gas and pepper spray use on them in the name of training, tear gas has nothing on pepper spray. The pepper spray was something we only did once provided the certification never got lost from your training folder. I think I still have a copy from 20+ years ago because I never want to have it done again. We called it liquid hell. Tear gas was done every 2 years if on a ship.

lawdog941
03-05-2014, 09:12 PM
I've had CS in the military, CS and OC for LE, and been tased all in the name of training. Out of those,, I'll take a taser for 5 seconds compared to the 20+ minutes of recovery from sprays. I extremely hate the taser, but OC has lingering effects on clothing also, which causes future irritations unless you're able to change after.

JeffinNZ
03-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Enough sympathy to buy you another bottle and some "sweets" to mail to you next week!!!

Bruce

I don't understand your hatred. I've only ever been nice to you and you insist on sending me 'weapons of gastro destruction'. :-P

bruce drake
03-05-2014, 10:42 PM
Because every time I turn around people here say I'm trying to poison them with my Marmite and Vegemite snacks. Hey! My very much overdue box to Kiwiland is about full. I even got Marti to help craft two special gifts for the girls as well. So don't complain because you stuck a pepper in your eye and reminded me of the box on the shelf in the garage!!!

Bruce

DoubleAdobe
03-06-2014, 10:31 AM
It will feel better when it stops hurting! Wise words from Wolfman
That was always my Dad's saying for everything from a stubbed toe, skinned knee to fairly serious injuries. Kinda miss him saying it now though.

JeffinNZ
03-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Because every time I turn around people here say I'm trying to poison them with my Marmite and Vegemite snacks. Hey! My very much overdue box to Kiwiland is about full. I even got Marti to help craft two special gifts for the girls as well. So don't complain because you stuck a pepper in your eye and reminded me of the box on the shelf in the garage!!!

Bruce

If you still have any Marmite or Vegemite remaining you're spreading it far too thin.

Actually, I am comforted by how many other folk have done the same or simple to me. It really was a most unpleasant experience. Just glad toilet paper is not coated with the stuff!

DLCTEX
03-06-2014, 06:21 PM
We had crowd control training (NG '65-71) and first had tear gas, then CS, and CS II. I'm happy I got out before they invented worse things. A store I do work for had 50-60 Sarrano peper plants left over from the green house they were going to toss a few years ago. I had room in the garden so I planted them all. Most of the bumper crop was given to a friend who has a Mexican restaurant and she used them in salsa. My wife was mad at me because the salsa was too hot fhr her tastes.

bruce drake
03-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Jeff,

I've worked with enough Aussies and Kiwis in the last few years that you aren't my sole source of supply of the stuff ;) I'm on my 5th or 6th jar of the stuff since my last "care" package came from you.

No worries. I've got the latest box set aside for the post office this weekend (finally). I PROMISE it will be en route by Sunday!

Bruce

If you still have any Marmite or Vegemite remaining you're spreading it far too thin.

Actually, I am comforted by how many other folk have done the same or simple to me. It really was a most unpleasant experience. Just glad toilet paper is not coated with the stuff!

bruce drake
03-06-2014, 09:56 PM
I wonder if I can find some Cayenne Toilet Paper...

waksupi
03-07-2014, 02:35 AM
Jeff,

I've worked with enough Aussies and Kiwis in the last few years that you aren't my sole source of supply of the stuff ;) I'm on my 5th or 6th jar of the stuff since my last "care" package came from you.

No worries. I've got the latest box set aside for the post office this weekend (finally). I PROMISE it will be en route by Sunday!

Bruce

Good Lord man, don't tell me you are developing a taste for that stuff!

2012–13 New Zealand Marmite shortage
A jar of New Zealand Marmite following its return to sale after "Marmageddon"

In November 2011, Sanitarium shut down the sole production line of New Zealand Marmite at its Christchurch factory after a cooling tower at the factory was deemed unsafe, having cracked in the 22 February 2011 Christchurch earthquake and its aftershocks. On 19 March 2012, the company announced that its own stocks of Marmite had run out and the production line was not expected to be running again until July. Some supermarkets reported at the time they had already run out of stock, and there was only a few weeks of stock left in their distribution centres, leading to the dubbing of Marmite as "black gold" and the crisis as "Marmageddon".[29][30][31]

Immediately after the announcement, there was reported panic buying of Marmite from supermarkets,[32] and over one hundred auctions for jars of Marmite, new and used, were listed on online auction site TradeMe, with some sellers asking for up to NZ$800 per jar; over 185 times its usual retail price of around $4.25 per 250g jar[33][34] People were advised to use the spread sparingly, with even Prime Minister John Key admitting he may have to switch to Australian rival Vegemite once his personal supplies run out.[35] Throughout the shortage Marmite ran a number of marketing campaigns on social media which led to a 2,975% increase in Fans and a lot of brand exposure.[36]

In June 2012, it was announced that additional structural damage had been uncovered at the factory, and the proposed July return to production was rescheduled to October.[37] Problems with an unfinished lift at the factory delayed production into 2013.[38]

Sanitarium announced in February 2013 that production had restarted and the factory was in the process of building up stock ready for the return. Marmite returned to New Zealand retailers effective midnight on 20 March 2013, although only the 250g jar size was initially available and many supermarkets imposed a limit of two jars per customer per day to promote fairness and prevent bulk buying. The return to overseas retailers is on now that the New Zealand supply and demand has settled.[39][40]

wgr
03-07-2014, 03:06 AM
I discovered that when about 3 years old. Most everyone in law enforcement has been sprayed with pepper spray during training and orientation about the use of pepper spray. I always thought it would work well if sprayed into a pot of pinto beans.
i was sprayed with it when i worked at the prison nasty stuff. and as for as it goes it will not hurt the beans at all

William Yanda
03-07-2014, 08:19 AM
I once made the mistake of volunteering to prepare horseradish for a regional group event at church. Dug the roots from my dad's patch, washed and put in my wife's blender. Whoooo, BIG mistake. Drove me out of the kitchen! I had to tame it down with raw potato grated in to even come close to making it edible.
That said, some people are much more sensitive to capsicum than others. What I consider medium is inedible to my wife.

GL49
03-07-2014, 05:35 PM
I remember when a couple of guys in purple tights had us wearing welding helmets just to be able to view their pictures. Now you know what our eyes felt like.

Old School Big Bore
03-07-2014, 05:43 PM
i remember when a couple of guys in purple tights had us wearing welding helmets just to be able to view their pictures. Now you know what our eyes felt like.
I nominate the above as 'best post ever in the entire universe'

bruce drake
03-31-2014, 11:07 PM
Don't hate because you don't have a set yet...Jeff is well known in dealing with the finest royal raiments.

beroen
03-31-2014, 11:20 PM
Flush the eyes with milk

For capsicum or battery acids

DougGuy
03-31-2014, 11:37 PM
I cut and seeded some Scotch Bonnets on a sheet of plastic, it was like a divider out of a notebook used for a cutting board, washed it in hot hot hot water, you should know we used it to cut up something else, and the capsaicin was still in that plastic! It leeched into I forgot what I cut up, mushrooms or something, but that plastic was washed, dried, sat for 2 weeks, and STILL had enough pepper oil in it to be dangerous..

Last year I grew some Trinidad Butch T Scorpions, I processed them in a food processor, like a idiot removed the top, and the fumes attacked immediately, I was coughing and sneezing, eyes watering, nose running, and this was with the range hood fan on full blast, I had to leave the kitchen.

I wear gloves, work in plenty of ventilation, wash the knives and cutting boards, with peppers that are over 1.5 million scovilles, one mistake will be a memorable one!

beroen
04-08-2014, 02:18 AM
Those Trinidad scorpions are the bomb I had a client give me a bunch last year!

Silver Eagle
04-08-2014, 04:34 AM
Deciding to get "frisky" with the SWMBO after handling jalapeno's for chili is a REAL quick way of "killing the mood!"
As a side note a friend of mine told me the story about a buddy of his that made the mistake of keeping the vapo-rub next to the lube. As he stated, "Pete was definitely unhappy and the wife was howling!

Col4570
04-08-2014, 05:32 AM
Marmite on hot buttered toast for breakfast has that savouriness that hits the spot for me.Tried some Vegemite,a different flavour but nice.Growing Jalapenos,Fresnos,Red Cherry,Birdseye and Cayenne,all about 2" tall in 3" Pots in the Greenhouse.