PDA

View Full Version : 12 ga Pedersoli screw in choke issue

THBailey
03-04-2014, 04:07 AM
I have a minor gripe with my muzzle loader 12 ga SxS Pedersoli. It came with screw in chokes that have a slightly larger inside diameter than the barrels bore diameter. This leaves a small lip or shelf where the choke tube joins the bore, same issue in both barrels. Not a big issue, but kind of a pain when loading. The wads catch and need to be forced through, no doubt deforming them some. The breach end ID of my tubes all measure .740. This seems a bit oversize for 12 ga. I was hoping someone with a similar gun, especially if your tubes seem to fit your gun properly (no shoulder at the transition from tube to barrel), might measure the breach end ID of yours and let me know what you've got. I'm thinking the tubes that came with my gun might be oversize. Thanks very much.

bubba.50
03-04-2014, 05:16 PM
there will be a small overbore on the back of the tube on any shotgun with screw-in chokes. this is by design & is a safety issue. the purpose of this is to make sure there's no over-hang in the other direction for the wad to hang up on on the way out which could make things excitin'. to make them match perfectly would be cost prohibitive & each barrel would have to have it's own tubes as even switchin' them from one barrel to the other would be iffy. luck & have a good'en, bubba.

DIRT Farmer
03-04-2014, 06:43 PM
I have the same thing with my 10 with screw in tubes, With a range rod just a minor aggervation.

ksfowler166
03-04-2014, 10:11 PM
You could try felt wads that would resolve your issue or you could use a ramrod of similar diameter of a 12ga. (range rod ?).

THBailey
03-05-2014, 03:06 AM
I use a 5/8" wood dowel that's about 8 inches longer than the barrels and it loads OK. Just seems like it bungs up the sealing edge of the nitro card I put over the powder when I bang on it to get past the choke tube shoulder. Not a super big deal, I've had the gun for ten years and hunt with it lot's. I have heard from others that say they have the same gun but don't seem to have this issue, so I was hoping to see how other choke tubes measured up.