PDA

View Full Version : Gahh! Frustrations of scope failure mid load development

sthwestvictoria
03-03-2014, 11:46 PM
I was working on some loads for the Savage 340 30-30 and realised the scope had failed - a significant scope adjustment of 20clicks on a one click=1/4 inch at 100 did nothing and moved the impact point to the right and previously accurate loads were sprayed.

Much frustration. What does it mean for loads I shot over the last month - were some of them actually useful but led astray by wobbly optics? I'll have to go back and shoot some of them to sort it out.

Well any day shooting is better than not. Got to tell yourself that.

waco
03-03-2014, 11:49 PM
I quit buying and using cheap optics long ago for this reason.
Vortex is my new go to scope.

BruceB
03-04-2014, 12:11 AM
I do just about the opposite.

For most cast-bullet loads, there's not much in the way of cost involved, and repeating a suspect series is no big deal ("any day at the range..." etc.)

Therefore, I have a number of high-magnification scopes which are, charitably, "low cost". These include a 36X Tasco, bought new from a yard sale for $15 (!), another Tasco from The Big Reno Show, 6-24X for about $80 NIB, and a couple others.

I haven't stooped as low as BSA and Simmons, though.

All the "serious-purpose' scopes here are Leupolds and a rare few Pentax and Burris. The 'system' seems to be working alright so far. If a low-cost sight dies on the range, it's not a disaster. I can DEPEND on my Leupolds to withstand the hunting trips, based on my experience to date.

sthwestvictoria
03-04-2014, 12:35 AM
Yes, it is my fault, it was a no-cost Japanese 3-9 parker hale that came in a swap with some other rifle.

Cmm_3940
03-04-2014, 12:40 AM
-Simmons

Funny story. Sighting in my dad's .25-06. Dad had just bought a 'new' Simmons scope at a gun show. He couldn't get it zeroed for some reason, and asked me to try. Shooting at 50 yds, shots all over the place, what the heck? Then, after about 10 rds., the entire rear bell assembly, lenses, housing, everything, flies off and hits me in the forehead. Simmons. First one and last one.

MaryB
03-04-2014, 12:53 AM
Simmons are fine on rimfires, would never use one near significant recoil.

7br
03-04-2014, 08:31 AM
Most expensive scope my nephew ever had was a simmons. It cost him a really nice 12pt buck.

CastingFool
03-04-2014, 08:51 AM
I had a 3x9 Bushnell Banner on my 12 ga (I live in a shotgun only zone, for deer) The scope did fine for 4 or 5 yrs with foster slugs. then I tried the solid copper sabots, and it was fine for a couple of years, then the scope started acting up, not holding the settings. I would adjust the settings, and they would be ok, and the next shot would go awry. Anyway, I sent it to Bushnell for repair or replacement. I was hoping they would send me a new scope, but instead they recentered the scope, and said it had been overadjusted. I lost faith in that scope, and won't use it again.

44man
03-04-2014, 09:12 AM
NEVER over adjust a scope! Shim first.
I agree some scopes just fail and most are from China. But I have had expensive ones go bad too.
Tasco is really a tough scope today but old ones would let go. Simmons is not even looked at.
I used a lot of the $50 Bushnell's without a problem.
I have destroyed the soft tube on an expensive Burris that would not hold in three rings on a .44 but the insides are still good. I still have the very first Loopy pistol scope and it is going strong, been on the .500 JRH too.
My guns eat red dots but not the Ultra Dot plain Jane 4 min dot. I stay away from adjustable dots.
I wiped all the insides out of a Swift scope before getting the gun sighted. It was replaced and is on a .22 now.

dverna
03-04-2014, 02:55 PM
I am also a believer in the Vortex scopes.

The more serious the gun, the more expensive the scope. As I find bargains, I replace all the 'cheap' scopes I purchased over the last 30 years. Some are OK for the rimfires and get used there. I put the others on rifles I sell as "sweeteners" to make a deal. I will not sell a defective scope - but I sell the junk I do not want.

Don Verna

Silverboolit
03-04-2014, 07:03 PM
I have had good luck with the Tasco medium price line. I have a 8-32 target w/ dot for over 20 years..no problem on a 22-250. It is the bees knees for prarie poodles out to 400 yds. I put a new 6-24 mil dot on my .308 about 2 years ago..no problems.