PDA

View Full Version : Oops......

robpete
03-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Nothing quite brightens a day like dumping a half pound of Bullseye into a jug of Titegroup.........

Sigh

Tatume
03-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Sorry about that Rob, really. I know the feeling. It will be good for your flower garden anyway.

Ed1
03-03-2014, 07:11 PM
did that myself once. 2 pounds gone :(

enfield
03-03-2014, 07:19 PM
just use it anyway, whats the worst that could happen ? oh whats the 2nd worse that could happen ?

Wots
03-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Well, that's something I have never done.............................................. ...............yet.

osteodoc08
03-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Ouch......a JUG of TG!!!

My condolences?

I really do feel bad, but it could always be worse. At least you recognized what had happened before you loaded more.

tomme boy
03-03-2014, 08:39 PM
I would mix the heck out of it and start low. But that is me. The way the supply has been, its what I would do. They are both really close a burn rate.

robpete
03-03-2014, 09:16 PM
At least you recognized what had happened before you loaded more.

I was thankful for that, but the thankfulness was quickly followed by anger. Lol

Mal Paso
03-03-2014, 09:52 PM
The powders don't look the same. Tweezers and a microscope. It could be a bigger hobby than casting.:wink:

L Ross
03-03-2014, 10:05 PM
I'd shake it up and shoot it. Be darned if I'd throw out that much powder. Mild to mid range loads I doubt if you'll notice anything. Just my opinion.

Duke

Blanco
03-03-2014, 10:10 PM
Save it for 4th of July

Doc Highwall
03-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Because Tightgroup is slower then Bullseye I would mix it as well as I could and just use Bullseye loading data for it.

robpete
03-03-2014, 10:39 PM
I just don't feel comfortable loading it. Will probably hand it off to my wife for her roses.

762 shooter
03-03-2014, 10:50 PM
Bad procedure.

TXGunNut
03-03-2014, 10:58 PM
I'll admit I've wasted a few pounds of powder that way, each time with powders of very different burn rates. Even if they were similar rates I'd worry that somehow the different chemicals wouldn't play well together. There's so much that I don't know about powders that I'll always err on the side of caution, even if it makes this old tightwad cranky for awhile. ;-)

leeggen
03-03-2014, 11:08 PM
http://www.lapua.com/upload/reloading/reloadingburningratechart2011.pdf
According to lapua chart for powders they are equal in burn rate. I would load and shoot it up, to pricy and hard to get to use as fertilizer. most charts rate them as close to equal also.
CD

country gent
03-03-2014, 11:15 PM
Mix sounds good if they are very similar burn rates, but another issue is density of the two powders. Even mixed if of diffrent densities they will slow seperate with vibration or flow thru a powder measure.

Cmm_3940
03-03-2014, 11:51 PM
It's all just nitrocellulose and nitroglycerine, right? What's the big deal?

DLCTEX
03-04-2014, 12:03 AM
I did that with 4064 into a can of 3031. Still have the mixed can marked all over as mixed and stored away from other powders. Keep thinking I will find a use for it some day. I don't make pipe bombs.[smilie=1::roll:
I only allow one can of powder on the bench at a time and put a card with powder info in a powder measure.

sidecarmike
03-04-2014, 12:04 AM
I haven't done this yet, but always worried about it. For that reason, I never have more than one powder out of the safe at a time. Whatever is in the measure will be on the shelf above the bench. Everything else stays locked up until the measure is emptied out.

DRNurse1
03-04-2014, 12:06 AM
Hmm. Sounds like a project...How to safely grind the powder into similar size particles to prevent separation...then generating load data...these sound like pistol loads so you may have to test various calibers...y'all are going to be busy this winter. LOL--:-)

Bullshop Junior
03-04-2014, 12:11 AM
This is why I only have one jug on the table at a time. I would probably mix and load myself, but I do a lot of stupid stuff.

Bullwolf
03-04-2014, 12:19 AM
While not quite the same move, I have poured shot on top of the powder canister and vice versa before (typically during set up) while loading skeet and trap shells using a Mec press.

It's no fun to separate shot and powder, but it's pretty visible and is blatantly obvious when you do it. It is also not a total write off or quite as dangerous as accidentally mixing powders with different burn rates.

Everyone makes a mistake sooner or later, the key here is that you caught it before it became a problem, and were man enough to fess up to it.

Take a serious look at your loading procedure, and see what you can do to keep it from happening again. A good rule is to have only ONE open canister of powder on the bench at a time. Perhaps you could also try labeling the powder in use in your measure with a sharpie and a piece of painters tape. Consider removing any distractions during your reloading process as well.

I'm glad that you noticed it quickly, and that nothing bad happened.

- Bullwolf

MtGun44
03-04-2014, 12:24 AM
mix thoroughly, develop new data. Should be very nearly identical
in performance for .45 ACP class of cartridge, where the two powders
produce about the same velocity and pressure for the same amount of
powder. 4.7 of TG and 4.7 BE produce essentially identical results in
this cartridge. It would seem reasonable to expect pretty similar
behavior from a mix.

Start quite low and work up, use a chrono.

Bill

canthitsquat
03-04-2014, 12:33 AM
You could call it "Bullgroup" or "Tite eye".

Bzcraig
03-04-2014, 12:47 AM
I just don't feel comfortable loading it. Will probably hand it off to my wife for her roses.

Thought for sure it was going to read,"hand it off to my wife to load." Then laughed at myself for thinking it. BTW, that sucks!

OverMax
03-04-2014, 01:57 AM
Such is life.

Blanco
03-04-2014, 06:59 AM
You could call it "Bullgroup" or "Tite eye".

That is something I would say

Roosters
03-04-2014, 08:07 AM
If you keep a bunch of different powder setting out when your reloading how do you know your not already shooting a mix that you didn’t catch ???
Believe I would label it Bullgroup or Tite eye like canthitsquat said and load it.

Besides you can’t believe every thing a warning label or a loading manual says ????? :popcorn:

kryogen
03-04-2014, 08:23 AM
I would mix it and use it for lighter target loads. Why waste.

I only keep one bottle of powder on the bench, and it's the one that is in the measure.
Same for primers, I keep only one kind out, and it's the one in the feeder.

robpete
03-04-2014, 08:54 AM
If you keep a bunch of different powder setting out when your reloading how do you know your not already shooting a mix that you didn’t catch ???

I typically empty the measure after each session , as I do keep all of my powders on the shelf next to my bench. What happened was I finished loading 9's with titegroup and then set up for 45 acp for the next morning. Morning came and I decided to load 45 colts.....forgetting that I had already switched over to 45 acp........

Bill- do you have any good loads that would work for a 250gr 45 Colt load? I think there's a little more room for error in a 45 colt Blackhawk

Roosters
03-04-2014, 09:09 AM
Seriously I would load it. As close as those two are and hard as powder is to find. But I would label it so it would stand out.

w5pv
03-04-2014, 01:49 PM
If you haven't mixed it already take a scoop device spoon or something similar and scoope off all you can keeping the pure seperate and whn you start getting a mix stop and mix the remaining together.I did this with titegroup and 700X and it workd out fine,Good luck.

dverna
03-04-2014, 02:32 PM
I have always been anal about reloading. I nearly dumped a powder into the wrong canister once. It was a hell of a wake up call. I stopped having more than one powder on the bench at a time. The powder is stored not even close to the bench so I have to get up and select the powder I am going to use. When done, the powder is put back on the storage shelf.

I have always emptied the measure after every session and I see more and more reloaders not doing that. Poor habit in my opinion.

To your issue, I agree with others. Mix it well and use it. The planets will not crash into each other. The burn rates are close and I imagine you are not pushing max loads if you are working with those powders. I would not use it for shotgun loads but I would not be worried about mid-range pistol loads. Using it in a rifle gives you more of a safety margin.

If you had mixed BE in 3031 - different story.

Don Verna

castalott
03-04-2014, 02:48 PM
'Round here...when someone dumps a load of beans in a load of corn, you take it to the 'air table'. ( Think air hockey table but on steroids) The difference in sectional density, size, weight, and shape will blow one off the table and the other can roll off in another path. Just something for you to think about.

Disclaimer: I've never seen it but someone I trust has and he says it works...

bangerjim
03-04-2014, 02:57 PM
I would tend to agree with others that say mix it very well (and keep it mixed during use) and start low and work up. At the rate powder is available` today, it would not be in my vocabulary to say "fertilizer"!

Burn rates are reasonably close and I use both all the time.......just not at the same time!

But I sure would try low loads B4 wasting the whole thing!!!!!!!

Or send it to me for correct disposal~~~~~~~~!
Just call it "experimental plant food". [smilie=1:

banger

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-04-2014, 02:59 PM
mix thoroughly, develop new data. Should be very nearly identical
in performance for .45 ACP class of cartridge, where the two powders
produce about the same velocity and pressure for the same amount of
powder. 4.7 of TG and 4.7 BE produce essentially identical results in
this cartridge. It would seem reasonable to expect pretty similar
behavior from a mix.

Start quite low and work up, use a chrono.
Bill
I'm with Bill on this one.
also 45auto is a low pressure round, and I'd load them for a strong gun like a S&W 625 revolver, if you have one.
Jon