PDA

View Full Version : Another inquiry about clip on wheel weights.

triggerhappy243
03-03-2014, 10:52 AM
I know that this subject was discussed to death, but my new computer/software makes it difficult to search for the answers in archives on this subject.... so here goes, and go easy on me.

I have a sh%#load of clipon w/w's that are zinc free. I started to cast for my 45 acp and all is going well. I have 44 cal. molds both steel and aluminum as well. now the 44 cal. would be for 44 mag, being fired at standard 44 mag pistol velocities.

THE QUESTION... would cool water quenching provide a better/harder bullet for the 44 mag if I do not add any alloy to my melt.... as opposed to air cooled?

Tatume
03-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Both air cooled and water quenched bullets cast from COWW will work fine. A little bit of tin is nice but is not essential.

C. Latch
03-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Water-quenches COWW will be harder, for sure, but maybe not 'better'. It seems that as I learn more about casting I lean more and more towards using the softest alloy I can get away with, and for the handguns you're talking about, that's probably going to be something softer than even air-cooled COWW.

A 50/50 SOWW/COWW flat point at .44 magnum velocity will almost certainly still penetrate well enough for non-dangerous game.

hickfu
03-03-2014, 11:58 AM
I air cool handgun and water quench rifle boolits

Doc

mdi
03-03-2014, 12:52 PM
I have 5, .44 magnums that I cast bullets for. I never got into water quenching and shoot everything air cooled. Ranch Dog 240 and 265 gr. RNFP, Lyman 429421, Lyman 429244, and a Lee 240 gr SWC T/L all can be driven to magnum velocities in my guns if the bullets fit the gun properly. All cast from WW alloy (and occasionally some "range lead"), air cooled.

bangerjim
03-03-2014, 01:58 PM
9-10 bhn for pistols. 14 for rifles.

I never water harden alloys. (some of mine will go to BHN of ~40 if water dropped!) As c.latch said, shoot as soft as you can.

Barrel fit is far more important that hardness!!!!!!!!!

I powder coat everything also to eliminate the worry of "OMG.....is it the right harness?". The baking heat levels the playing field on water dropping by removing any hardness gained. Mix your alloys for the hardness you want NOT using water dropping as a factor! Water dropping was an old school way to harden Lyman #2. Research has proven those hard boolits are not that necessary.

Powder coating = No leading..........no lube.........more fun.

bangerjim

dtknowles
03-03-2014, 02:21 PM
I air cool handgun and water quench rifle boolits

Doc

Doc

Is this an always thing. Some of my handgun loads are higher velocity and some of my rifle loads.

Tim