PDA

View Full Version : "MAKING" 9x18 brass ?

Boaz
03-02-2014, 07:39 PM
I wanted to size 9mm luger brass to 9x18 mak . Some have told me that the case needs to be belled before attempting to resize . Is this true or can they simply be resized and trimmed ? Thanks for input !

Outpost75
03-02-2014, 08:00 PM
The Mak is a straight cases, whereas the Luger is tapere.

Expanding fired Luger brass with the Mak expander removes tbe body taper and brings the brass to a ylindrcal shape, so that it can ten be size and trimmed to the correct dimensions for loading.

GSCSA
03-03-2014, 01:33 PM
I just size 9mm cases with the Makarov die, trim them to length, and load as I would with and semi auto pistol round. Works well for me.

xringshutr
03-03-2014, 01:39 PM
What GSCSA said. Works great. I load the little Lee 95RN with about 4.0 gr of Power Pistol. Very accurate in a CZ 82 and a Radom.

azrednek
03-03-2014, 01:50 PM
I use a 9MM Mak trim and form die with a shell holder extension. I've done about 500 and so far, so good.

Do get a marking pen and clearly mark the reformed and trimmed brass or you will spend a good deal of time separating the Mak and Lugar brass. Also don't make the same foolish error I did. Separate the Mak brass BEFORE putting them in your tumbler. I spent a few hours separating the two 9's and 380 after tumbling the marker pen off the headstamps. I've been marking 380 red and 9MM Mak black.

Wayne Smith
03-03-2014, 01:54 PM
I trim mine before I resize to 9mmMak. Don't know why but it seems to work better for me that way. Basically do it the way it works best for you.

azrednek
03-03-2014, 04:57 PM
Basically do it the way it works best for you.

Couldn't agree more. My method is probably a bit over-kill but I scored the trim die and shell holder extension dirt cheap off of Craig's list. Think I gave him $12.00 for both items. He had a bunch of inherited loading tools for sale and didn't have any idea what he was selling or the value. By the time I arrived the trim die and extension were all he had left. Somebody beat me to the two Dillon Square Deal set-ups he had pictured.

fatelk
03-03-2014, 05:15 PM
I just size the 9x19 brass in the Makarov sizing die, then trim them with the little Lee trimmer in a drill. I had to file the diameter of the trimmer pilot down a little to go in the unexpanded brass, since 9Mak is a bit larger than 9Luger. I used to expand them first instead, but turning down the pilot just saved a step.

Then I just expand and load as usual. Personally I've never bothered to mark my cases. Sure, it's not real fun to sort a bunch of .380, 9Mak, 9x19, and .32acp cases, but I just stand them all up on a flat surface and sort them by height. With a little practice it goes quick.

Boaz
03-03-2014, 07:49 PM
You all make it sound pretty easy ! I'v got a 100 trimmed down so I'll try expanding without belling the case first . Thanks for the insight and information . Dont see why someone dose not cut them down and sell them , there are none avalible to speak of . Thanks !

azrednek
03-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Dont see why someone does not cut them down and sell them , there are none avalible to speak of . Thanks !

My guess, it is so simple to trim .01 off the 9MM Lugar brass and there isn't any apparent shortages of fired 9MM brass. Guess if we could still sell brass on Ebay. It would be a good way to pick up a few bucks from handloaders that haven't figured it out. About 10 years or so ago. I made a few bucks on Ebay selling 7.65 Argie and 7.7 Jap brass I trimmed and formed from 30/06 Canadian blanks.

There does seem to be a shortage of 9MM Mak published loading data. Don't believe I've seen any published 9 Mak data for lead. It was likely this group or possibly the Handloaders board. Somebody suggested using 380 data. I followed the 380 recommendation and it has worked perfectly. I could probably hype up the 380 charge a little but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Pb Burner
03-04-2014, 12:25 PM
I bell/expand the luger brass then trim. I use the Lee 3 jaw chuck in a drill. Works fine and the chuck speeds things up somewhat. I do mark my Makarov brass and separate before tumbling.

paul edward
03-04-2014, 03:30 PM
To help separate 9x18 Makarov cases formed from 9x19 brass just use one head stamp for the cases you convert.

armexman
03-04-2014, 06:55 PM
I convert all nickel plated to 9Mak. 6000 9MM, not many nickel, enough to keep me in MAK for a long time.

dondiego
03-04-2014, 07:18 PM
I convert all nickel plated to 9Mak. 6000 9MM, not many nickel, enough to keep me in MAK for a long time.

That is a great idea! I am adopting that idea if you don't mind. I just made my first 10 Mak rounds from 9 MM yesterday and was going to be marking the cases with black marker. This is why I have been saving those nickel plated 9 MM's! I was going to use them for high velocity jacketed HP's. Not now. Thank you sir!