PDA

View Full Version : Lee '452374'

sundog
12-21-2007, 12:29 AM
Anyone been shooting it?

I've got a hunert of'm loaded in .45 ACP to shoot tomorrow, hopefully - 1911, but of course. They are lubed with alox/beeswax (not the Lee snot stuff) since I'm trying to run the lube out of a 450 that came in a trade several years ago.

Worst ice storm in memory last week, folks still without power, and tomorrow predicted 70dF! Lots of tree limbs for the wood stove in the shop! That's Okieland fer ya! Saturday the wx will go to crap again. Shoot tomorrow or wait...

Swamprat1052
12-21-2007, 12:40 AM
I know what you mean about those ice storms. I grew up in LA and lived in East Texas most of my adult life. I am in CA now, God help me, and want to get back home. Maybe soon, but I admit I dont miss the ice storms.

Good shooting and stay warm.

Swamprat

BigSlick
12-21-2007, 01:35 AM
I have cast quite a few but have only shot maybe a few hundred.

Please post your results when you get a chance.

The bullet is different from a 452374 by a fair margin, but seems to load and shoot great out of two Commanders and a Govt model.

With the alloy I'm using, they drop right on .453, I size to .452 and lube with Lar's red. One cavity had a small burr that I remedied with a little careful work with an exacto knife.

Can't really say how they do for bench work, but for plinking, they've been great.

Now all I need is the time to do about 400k more (and some more ww's of course).

I like em.
________
Hash (http://trichomes.org/hashish/full-melt-hash)

Springfield
12-21-2007, 02:24 AM
I gave 300 of them to a friend, he loves them out of his stock Government model 45. I lubed them with my regular BP lube and it worked very well for him, no leading and the accuracy was as good as anything he had used before. Haven't had time to run them through my 1916 1911. The nose is a little pointer and the lube groove is slightly closer on the base but they look very similar to the bullets from my original Lyman mould.

lathesmith
12-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Sundog, I'd be very interested to know how that slug shoots, I have had my eye on that one myself. From some of the other reports here it looks like a good one.
We had your ice storm here last January. There were people here in SW MO without power for almost 3 weeks. We live in Springfield, and were off for 9 days. I've got some backup stuff here though, we weren't too badly off. I did some self-education and went ahead and installed one of those generator sub-panels, we will be even better prepared for the next one!
lathesmith

45 2.1
12-21-2007, 11:41 AM
The bullet is different from a 452374 by a fair margin, but seems to load and shoot great out of two Commanders and a Govt model.

It wasn't meant to be, but Lee cannot at times read prints correctly, even when radius points are dimensioned for them. I went back and checked everything on the drawing when we received them. Lee messed up on their end. If we do this one again, the drawing will have redundant dimensions on it where they shouldn't mess up.

BigSlick
12-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Here's a shot for comparison :

452374 GB on the left

452374 Lyman in the center

228-1R Lee on the right

(Picture courtesy of CastBoolits Member ANeat)

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/aneat/Lead/45RN.jpg
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA STATES (http://mmjp.org)

leftiye
12-21-2007, 04:28 PM
From them pictures it's clear that if you like to crimp (lightly!) into the rear of the front wall of the lube groove (saves deforming the boolit, and seats the boolit into the rifling, keeps ctg. from "telescoping"under recoil), that the Lee boolit is going to give you some seating problems with the into the rifling LOA.

35remington
12-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Yep, it will.

Problem with the Lee 228-1R is that when loaded to clear the rifling the overall length of the cartridge really doesn't duplicate ball or its feeding characteristics.. For that, the 230-2R roundnose is better, but the 452374 seems to show better accuracy.

MakeMineA10mm
12-23-2007, 12:10 AM
It wasn't meant to be, but Lee cannot at times read prints correctly, even when radius points are dimensioned for them. I went back and checked everything on the drawing when we received them. Lee messed up on their end. If we do this one again, the drawing will have redundant dimensions on it where they shouldn't mess up.

Would that be my next honcho deal, you're speaking of Bob?!? [smilie=1: :mrgreen:

Lee had better get closer than that on the one I honcho, or they'll have to do 'em over.

PAPABEAR
12-23-2007, 08:29 AM
I Shoot This Boolet In An Older Gold Cup With Out Diffuclty. Is It My Favorite? No, Still It Feeds Well And Won Me A Minor Match Or 2 A Number Of Years Ago In Idpa

To Shoot Or Not To Shoot That Is Always A Good Question ... I Say "openfire"!:Fire:

Merry christmas

sundog
12-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Well, I did not get to the range Friday, as planned. As soon as I do I'll post a range report.

I've shot both the Ly 452374 and the Lee 228-1R. Feed and function was good. Neither are my favorite. The Lee 200-RF is a good'un. I find it more accurate the the Ly 452374 or the Lee 228-1R.

So, here we are in Green Country (NE Oklahoma). 70dF and sunny Friday and 20dF this morning with a dusting of snow and slick roads. I may get to t he range one day this week and maybe just shoot behind the barn. I like the range better (for auto pistol) due to the gravel surface. It makes brass recovery much easier. I guess I could stretch a tarp on the grass out back to catch brass. Either way, I'll post some results after.

45 2.1
12-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Would that be my next honcho deal, you're speaking of Bob?!? [smilie=1: :mrgreen:

Lee had better get closer than that on the one I honcho, or they'll have to do 'em over.

Yes, i've already altered the drawing to take care of the probability.

ANeat
12-23-2007, 12:58 PM

MM10mm you almost had me on the group buy when you were thinking about going to Ballisticast.

I ended up ordering a 147gr from them cut to drop WW @ .359 The gun im planning on likes the bullets a little bigger.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/aneat/Lead/9mm3.jpg

MakeMineA10mm
12-24-2007, 01:38 AM
A Neat - I have a 9mm x 147gr FP from Ballisti-cast, for my auto-caster machine, but it's more like a LFN, than a TC like that. I struggled with the diameter of that 9mm bullet, as there is wide variations, and I almost went with .358" because of some revolver guys that were interested. The way I figured it, was if Lee added .003" to .358", I'd have had a mess... Any 135gr data for the Makarov?!? :-? :roll: :mrgreen:

With the 45 I'm gonna run in January, it will be easy. Size will be .434", the way Lyman, previous group buy, and everyone else wants it... Not as much argument on sizing diameter for a good ole 45 (ACP that is - plenty on a 45 Colt!).

MakeMineA10mm
12-24-2007, 01:40 AM
Yes, i've already altered the drawing to take care of the probability.

That's EXCELLENT! I can't wait to start knocking out punkin' balls (our local name for 45 x 230 RNs) SIX at a time!

sundog
01-01-2008, 10:05 AM
I got to the range Sunday. Really nice day here in the centennial state of Oklahoma. 60dF and very calm, sunny. Hard to believe the state's worst ice storm was a couple of weeks ago!

Results with the Lee 452374 and right tolerable. Feed and function was flawless through a Springfield USGI 1911. Target model it is not, but it is a decent shooter. The load was 5.4/SMP231. At about 15 yards the load very easily held about 4 inches to POA, maybe a tad high, but that's okay. Don't see any difference here from the original from whence cloned. Just having a 6 banger turns'em out faster. They are a little fat and not quite exactly round, but they seem to shoot okay, at least close in.

I got a Forster trimmer for Christmas along with the hollow pointer set up. Working on HP'ng the rest of what I did not shoot Sunday and will shoot them today or Saturday (forecast for 60dF, yet again!). Range report will follow.