PDA

View Full Version : 4H Kid thank you

Bullfrog
03-02-2014, 08:32 AM
So I am not certain where people can get a slap on the back around here because there are so many forums to choose from and quite frankly I have not even visited all of them in the many years I have been a member. There have been so many generous people here that it is quite humbling and even brought Katy to the edge of tears (not an easy feat for an Annie Oakley personality).

The 4 H kids, Elk Creek chapter, has been truly blessed by members on this forum and I can only remember recent activities.

Bubba.50 in the past sold the club at a VERY discounted rate a really nice .50 cal. which they shoot the heck outta

Littlewolf made and sold the club 1,000 round ball at a really excellent rate

Ken (our wonderful site creator) donated a .50 TC Hawkens rifle (minus a sight, but that was part of the deal because...)

Geraldo donated the missing sight for the TC Hawkens Ken donated. This rifle is at a gunsmith because I can't see those tiny screws like I used to.

Soon to add $140 worth of ram rods from a donated person :)

Which brings me to Brass Magnet, Ron, whom not only orchestrated the entire thing, but has most generously donated much time, effort and funds to allow these kids to have an experience even I did not have. He also donated measurers, ramrods, and moulds, and other stuff that slips my mind this early. This will all be brought up at the next meeting, which has been snowed out yet again, and I will be certain to take and post pictures.

To date the club now outright owns 4 rifles- 1 InvestArms that was mine, 1 Spanish job I think is a CVA, 1 TC Hawkens from Ken, and I think the other is some kinda Italian job one. Add my personal TC Hawkens into the mix that I lend them for shooting and the numbers are rising.

Fellas this is big because I am the only person that is getting the muzzleloading off the ground, because.... Katy is overwhelmed with all she does and I am the only muzzleloading leader whom treats this like a job. Not a pat on my back, just a fact. I have poured hours into research in my off time, because I am not allowed internet at work, and it is between my college courses I study in. Again I am humbled by the generosity of the folks on here and without the love and support we would have to limit numbers as to who could shoot.

This club is donation or the kids work their butts off doing anything to raise money. They govern themselves and have to vote on buying things. I have been present when they vote and debate on buying things. They have to raise motions to pass or deny and it is cool to see them taking on responsibility. I won't bore you all with any more details. I really am humbled and grateful for everyone on this sight whom has donated knowledge as well because that is the beginning of empowerment.

Thank you all

Baryngyl
03-03-2014, 02:34 AM
What Cal. are the BP rifles they are using?

Michael Grace

Bullfrog
03-03-2014, 07:14 AM
They are limited to .50 caliber round ball

Frog

Baryngyl
03-03-2014, 03:31 PM
I only shoot a .58 Cal BP and mostly (99+%) mini/maxi Conical type bullets, the few RB's I did shoot were .575 in size, so I am assuming your .50s also take a smaller ball to have room for the patch?

Will .490 RB's work or what is the exact size they are using? I have this mold but in the older single cavity mold. http://leeprecision.com/mold-d-c-ball-490.html

You said they have molds sent by BrassMagnet, do they do any casting or is that considered to unsafe to allow them to do?

Just trying to see if I have the right mold to make them some RB's or maybe just send them lead ingots from either lead pipe or X-ray room sheet lead from shielding the room, both I have been told are very close to pure lead.

One last question for now, do they do any kind of fund raising by selling items like schools do?

Michael Grace

Bullfrog
03-04-2014, 12:09 AM
I only shoot a .58 Cal BP and mostly (99+%) mini/maxi Conical type bullets, the few RB's I did shoot were .575 in size, so I am assuming your .50s also take a smaller ball to have room for the patch?

Will .490 RB's work or what is the exact size they are using? I have this mold but in the older single cavity mold. http://leeprecision.com/mold-d-c-ball-490.html

You said they have molds sent by BrassMagnet, do they do any casting or is that considered to unsafe to allow them to do?

Just trying to see if I have the right mold to make them some RB's or maybe just send them lead ingots from either lead pipe or X-ray room sheet lead from shielding the room, both I have been told are very close to pure lead.

One last question for now, do they do any kind of fund raising by selling items like schools do?

Michael Grace

Michael,
Yes they use .490's. They are not allowed to do any casting and I can demonstrate for them what is involved, but other than that I can not let them, as a club in 4H, participate in molten lead operations. That said, if a parent wanted their child to learn how to safely cast they could "help" me when I do such operations as curious bystanders.

Lead is always welcome as it is getting harder to find. Let me know what your price is.

they do fund raising, but it varies and the county is changing the by-laws so I have to wait for like 10-12 days to see what the final by-laws are written as.

Frog