PDA

View Full Version : Yet another question on the Lee 120 gr TC boolit - use in .380 ACP or 102 gr RN?

bedbugbilly
03-01-2014, 11:39 PM
This is probably a stupid question but I'm in AZ and my reloading stuff is back in MI along with my manuals, etc.

I'm getting ready to start reloading .380 ACP as I have an older friend who I'd like to shoot .380s with and will reload so we can go plinking (he's 82).

I'll order my dies soon and will order a mold if necessary for the .380 but I have a question in regards to the best bullet to use in the .380.

Naturally, I'll be casting. I currently have the Lee 356-120-TL mold that I use for my 9mm and 38s. Lee lists it under their 9mm Luger, 38 Super Auto and .38 ACP category. What I need to know is the 120 gr TC suitable for .380 or should I order a 356-102-1R mold to use in the .380 reloads?

Currently, I'm using 3.5 gr of BE and the 120 gr in my Ruger SR9 - works perfect. I'll probably be using BE for the .380 as well. In spite of the fact that I can get more 102 gr. boolits out of a pound than 120 gr. - which will likely work better?

They will probably be shot out of a Bersa, a Walther PK 380 and a Smith 380 Bodyguard. I'm thinking that the lighter RN may feed / function better than the heavier 120 TC?

I know, I know . . . "slug the bore" - but am I correct that the .380 lead boo lit should be sized to .357?

Your thoughts, experiences and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

tazman
03-01-2014, 11:51 PM
I have no experience with the .380. I do have the Lyman 4th edition cast bullet handbook in front of me.
It shows loads for a 90rn, the Lee 102rn and a 120rn. I see no reason why the 120tc would not work unless there is a coal problem of some sort.
Load data for the 120rn is as follows.
Bullseye start 1.6gr 600fps max 2.1gr 750fps.

If you are going to order a new mold you might consider the Lee 356-95-rf as it is designed for .380 and 9mm.

hickfu
03-02-2014, 12:32 AM
Lymans 48's shows 380 using a 120gr cast boolit

Doc

gefiltephish
03-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Your gun would have to allow for a fairly long oal due to the fact that 380 cases are not conducive to deep seating. Has to do with the wall taper. On a cartridge this small, deep seating is not desirable anyway, too easy to overpressure I think. Most all 380 bullets have a very short bearing surface compared to 9mm (120tc). Your gun may be an exception, but if seated long, it must also fit in your mags. Having said all that, many folks successfully use that bullet for 380. My wifes 238 cannot.

fcvan
03-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Although I haven't loaded the 120 TC in .380, I have loaded a bunch of the 102 R. I bought that mold specifically for the .380, and have used it since 1987. I have also used it in 9mm. An odd one for .380 is the Lee 358-105 SWC which works well in the 9mm also.

Lee recently came out with a TL356-95 TC that is on my list of molds to purchase. I'm not a fan of tumble lube molds but of late I've been powder coating everything with great results, the TL mold should be fine for that. I like the looks of it and like the way TC boolits perform in 9mm and my 40 S&W Glocks. I would give that one a look see too.

sixshot
03-02-2014, 11:07 AM
I've loaded the 120 TC in my PPKS but you have to be real careful on seating depth as mentioned. It has to fit in the magazine & still not be over pressure. I'm also in Arizona for the winter & didn't bring my 380 so I can't remember the load. I mostly used a little 95 gr flatnose & 2.5 grs of WST. I have 2 brand new 17 round mags for an SR9 if you need them.

Dick

bedbugbilly
03-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Thank you all - you've been a big help! I probably should have worded my post better in regards to the 120 gr. Like anything, there are things that can be "done" but what I was kind of worried about was "if is is wise to be done". I had two things in mind that I didn't express very well . . . 1. The weight of the bullet itself (120 gr.) and 2. The wear it could put on the pistol itself as opposed to a lighter wt. boolit.

My only experience with the .380 ws the Bersa that I had a few years back - I shot probably 300 rounds total through it and that was "off the shelf ammo" - I believe 90 gr.

In looking at the three pistols I'm probably going to be reloading for - Bersa, Walther PK 380 and a Smith 380 Bodyguard - I don't want to shoot anything that is going to cause excessive wear as they will primarily be used for plinking and fun.

I had a Lee chart that showed their molds (obviously not an updated one) and the lightest wt. was the 102 gr. I'd read that Lee had a new 95 gr TL mold out but I wasn't seeing it when I was looking for it. I'm not a big fan of the TL design but I do have one SWC mold for my 38 spl that works well.

Another of my concerns about the 120 gr. was what the OAL would be - if it would feed/function and the seating depth as well - what affect it would have on increasing the pressure. Common sense was telling me to go with a lighter wt. boolit but in Lees description of the 120, it shows it can be used in the 380. Again, being able to and being a wise decision to use it was what I was concerned with.

I'll go with the new 95 gr TL mold as I'm sure that will be the best for the shooting/plinking we'll be doing. The thing I like about the Lee molds is that they are inexpensive yet make a pretty good slug - I'm sure the 95 gr will work fine but if not, I'm not out much on the mold and can always trade it off. I have a couple of pounds of BE on hand so it should be some pretty inexpensive plinking with a light charge.

Thank you all again. Once I get in motion on this and have a chance to get some range time, I'll post my thoughts on it.

BDJ
03-02-2014, 04:41 PM
Hi Bill
I have been using the mold/ bullet that tasman was talking about.
A 50-50 mix of ww and lead was giving me 97 gr. bullets.
I have been loading Unique and mixed range brass using Ranch Dog's data at www.Ranchdogoutdoors.com.
Have run this load in two Bersa 380 Thunders and two Sig's the P238's.
All four of the 380's like and shoot the little 356-95rf bullet very well.
Forgot to tell you --- I was using the using the 380 compact data on Ranch Dog's site in the Bersa Thunders.

http://www.titanreloading.com/molds/bullet-molds/9mm-luger-38-super-auto-380-auto/lee-6-cav-mold-tl35695rf