PDA

View Full Version : Posting by Candle Light

TXGunNut
03-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Yes, I paid the electric bill! lol
Was enjoying the weather and a savoring a hard-fought victory so I picked up a nice steak and some fresh asparagus on the way home from Cabelas tonight. Fired up my little grill for the first cookout of the season, this is one happy old fat man! Stopped at a liquor store to pick up a good single malt and a cigar as well, that's why I'm posting out in my outdoor kitchen. Dinner was nice, awesome ribeye (on sale, no less!) with a loaded baked potato and roasted asparagus.
Dug out my candle lantern and I think I'll enjoy a nice after-dinner single malt and a cigar while reading a few posts. Weather turning ugly again tomorrow so I'll enjoy it while I can!

10x
03-01-2014, 11:00 PM
-33 C here last night, possibly colder tonight.

Jailer
03-01-2014, 11:16 PM
3 more inches of snow for us tonight but it's not holding me up. Plan on a rack of ribs going in the smoker tomorrow around 11AM for dinner tomorrow night. I grill/smoke all year long regardless of weather.

Having said that I envy you being able to sit outside enjoying the weather right now.

TXGunNut
03-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Cold front just arrived, cigar down to the paper band so this little party was moved inside.
Thanks, bhn22. It is a victory I've been working towards for over five years and it's sweet indeed. Fair bit of money and hard feelings involved so details not appropriate at this time. I'll just say that my dear old departed Daddy would be proud.

TXGunNut
03-01-2014, 11:29 PM
3 more inches of snow for us tonight but it's not holding me up. Plan on a rack of ribs going in the smoker tomorrow around 11AM for dinner tomorrow night. I grill/smoke all year long regardless of weather.

Having said that I envy you being able to sit outside enjoying the weather right now.

Yes, feeling truly blessed to enjoy a cigar and a good Scotch in my outdoor kitchen tonight. I have an electric smoker that should function quite well most days here in TX, didn't find any decent ribs today so may smoke a nice venison loin tomorrow.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-01-2014, 11:52 PM
Well told! I could almost smell that steak a cookin. Life is good.

TXGunNut
03-02-2014, 03:17 AM
Well told! I could almost smell that steak a cookin. Life is good.

Thanks. Life is good indeed, and often too short, but who are we to say?

TXGunNut
03-02-2014, 03:22 AM
Oh yes, forgot to mention. Had a nice Cabernet wasting away in the wine cooler. Had to rescue it and let it breathe. Life is indeed good on my little spot on the prairie!

Multigunner
03-02-2014, 03:27 AM
I tried it but candle light is too dim to see the screen.
Also you have to look at your screen often or dust will settle on it.

If dust collects on the inside of the screen get one of these
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/licking-dog-and-licking-cat-screensavers-for-windows

texassako
03-02-2014, 09:20 AM
It sure was a nice day yesterday, and I envy your steak and single malt. We had hot dogs by tiki torch. 50 degrees colder and a winter weather advisory today.

btroj
03-02-2014, 09:31 AM
You needed a candle? I can post in pitch black darkness from my iPad.

Candles. Kids these days....

TXGunNut
03-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Love a good hot dog now and then, I don't eat much beef but every once in a great while a steak is nice.
Candle was to make sure I didn't misplace my Scotch or cigar. ;-)

10x
03-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Love a good hot dog now and then, I don't eat much beef but every once in a great while a steak is nice.
Candle was to make sure I didn't misplace my Scotch or cigar. ;-)

I don't want to come off as being a wise guy, but have you ever looked at the label on a package of hot dog wieners. It says "may include meat..."
and I looked at the Max/min thermometer just now. Last night was -33C. That is right around the point propane stops gassing off in the bottle and keeping up the pressure for a BBQ to heat...

rexherring
03-02-2014, 03:10 PM
-33 C here last night, possibly colder tonight.

Yikes, it only got to a -18 here last night. A few years back I shot a nice bull moose a little ways northeast of Grand Prairie.

10x
03-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Yikes, it only got to a -18 here last night. A few years back I shot a nice bull moose a little ways northeast of Grand Prairie.

I live about 120 miles North East of Grande Prairie ...

Multigunner
03-02-2014, 03:30 PM
Worst I can remember was when the local temp dropped to a wind chill factor of -20 F.
Actually didn't feel that cold for some reason. All the moisture had dropped out of the air in a layer of fine powdery crystals.

I like to light up plenty of candles and kerosene lanterns when it gets really cold.
I like the idea of these being a source of both light and heat. Saves a bit on the electric bill.
Kerosene is too expensive to use for heat alone.

TXGunNut
03-02-2014, 04:40 PM
It's 22 and sleeting here now, may not sound cold to some of you but a big change from yesterday's temps in the 80's.