PDA

View Full Version : Lube got too warm question...

WildcatFan
02-28-2014, 11:47 PM
Sizing my first few bullets and my lube got a bit too warm. I could see it surround the tip of my bullet when I lowered it. Should I take out my die and clean it out or will it be fine the next time I heat it up?

silverjay
03-01-2014, 12:10 AM
Should be fine, may want to check the adjustment on travel as well. For the lube to get on the nose it sounds like the boolit is traveling too low in the sizing die.

WildcatFan
03-01-2014, 12:24 AM
Yeah, I had it adjusted at the end where the two rings would get lube, but not the crimp groove. Actually the top of the bullet didn't get lube on it, but the pressure when I slowly lowered it would raise the lube along the sides if the bullet. Took a while to get that lube heated up in my St. Louis garage tonight. I'll have a better timing next time.

DLCTEX
03-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Back off the pressure screw until lubesizer and lube are warm and then use the least amount of pressure that will get the lube in the grooves. I get the best results by using just enough pressure to fill the grooves on one large boolit or a few small boolits before it is necessary to crank the screw a little more.

Walter Laich
03-03-2014, 04:25 PM
There is a balancing act between the temp of the lube and pressure. If you work up from cool to warm and low pressure to high it usually the least messy way to do it.

Ambient temp also makes a difference. I've lubed from 105 (in Houston summers) to 40 (when I was just plain stupid) and you have to adjust one or both