PDA

View Full Version : Leave lead in, or out?

50/50
02-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Just getting started in casting & in the process of buying casting equipment. I've got a burner, stand and ingot mold and now I just bought a lead furnace on e-bay. Molds are next.

Anyway, I've got a NICE used Lyman bottom pour model 61 furnace like the ones Saeco and Brownell's had years ago. Temperature dial in front, heavy duty base, etc.

My question is, should I drain all the lead out after using it and clean it out, or should I leave lead in and let it harden till next time? If lead is left in it, will it corrode the spout and the stopper or does it even matter?

On another note, does anyone know when these furnaces were made? Seems to be of good quality from what I can tell. Thanks!

lka
02-28-2014, 08:42 PM
I leave it in, not sure if there's a rule against it but it's never caused me any trouble.

williamwaco
02-28-2014, 08:44 PM
Just getting started in casting & in the process of buying casting equipment. I've got a burner, stand and ingot mold and now I just bought a lead furnace on e-bay. Molds are next.

Anyway, I've got a NICE used Lyman bottom pour model 61 furnace like the ones Saeco and Brownell's had years ago. Temperature dial in front, heavy duty base, etc.

My question is, should I drain all the lead out after using it and clean it out, or should I leave lead in and let it harden till next time? If lead is left in it, will it corrode the spout and the stopper or does it even matter?

On another note, does anyone know when these furnaces were made? Seems to be of good quality from what I can tell. Thanks!

I only empty the pot about once every ten sessions or so.
If you do empty it, run it down to about one half inch in depth. Then pick the pot up and turn it upside down to pour out the last of the lead.

Running that last bit through the spout will frequently leave trash and slag in the spout.

Normally, I leave the pot about half full and just unplug it. It will come up to casting heat much faster than adding ingots to a cold pot.

monadnock#5
02-28-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm not familiar with your model 61, but the heating element on my Mag20 encircles the circumference of the pot. The top 25% and the bottom 25% has no direct contact.
Leaving the pot at least half full when I'm done gets me up and going much faster the next time around.

merlin101
02-28-2014, 09:25 PM
I always leave some in the pot and only empty it to clean it. Like williamwaco said never run the last little bit thru the spout! I also use a black marker to write the alloy left in the pot on the top of the cool lead.

Le Loup Solitaire
02-28-2014, 10:08 PM
I've always left lead in the pot (bottom pour). The original advice was that it a) was easier to heat up to start with and b) kept the valve from getting moved around if the pot was empty and possibly damaging it. Doesn't matter how much, just some will do. LLS

Mike W1
02-28-2014, 10:38 PM
Everything above is spot on. When you do start with an empty pot you'll wonder if you're ever gonna see liquid!

pworley1
02-28-2014, 11:24 PM
I can't remember the last time I saw the bottom of my pot, but it has been years. Leave the lead in it.

Theunsb
03-09-2014, 06:57 AM
Thank you I also being wondering. Now will keep it half empty. Smile

JSnover
03-09-2014, 09:27 AM
After you settle on an alloy you like, there's no need to pour it out.

zuke
03-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Leave it in, heat's up quicker.I use to pour mine out all the time and with the lead in bar form it took quite awhile to melt. The lead left in the pot is already touching most of the surface area.

Green Frog
03-10-2014, 08:28 AM
BUT... is the pot half empty or is it half full?? What kind of caster are you? :wink:

Froggie

mold maker
03-10-2014, 09:52 AM
For all the reasons mentioned above, I almost never empty a pot.
Another really good reason, is the awkwardness of handling the hot pot of lead. Spills and burns are easy to encounter trying to lift and poor out the melt.
If you do empty it, use the opportunity to thoroughly clean the pot and valve parts.
The dust created with a wire brush is mostly lead oxide so care must be taken.

Freightman
03-10-2014, 01:03 PM
keep it at least 1/2 full! got a 10# used one for my dead soft lead for my muzzleloaders and BPCR.

Smoke4320
03-10-2014, 02:21 PM
leave it at least 50% full .. Happiness is a warm pot and a hot suppressor :)

rr2241tx
03-13-2014, 12:46 PM
Electric pots are not so expensive you have to melt everything in the same pot. A plumber's furnace and cast iron pots are even cheaper so dedicate one to pure lead for muzzleloader balls, one for 30:1 for BPCR boolits and one to hardball for your revolvers and you're all set.

bangerjim
03-13-2014, 04:30 PM
I have not seen the bottom of my 3 casting pots in years!!!!!!

I store them 90% full.

banger

dikman
03-13-2014, 07:15 PM
Electric pots are not so expensive you have to melt everything in the same pot.

Alright for you to say that, you obviously don't live here!!!

I leave it in. The first time it took ages to melt the lead, the next time was much quicker, being full of lead.

6bg6ga
03-18-2014, 06:41 AM
I leave my Mark IV about 1/2-3/4 full. Heats up faster that way.

bangerjim
03-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Alright for you to say that, you obviously don't live here!!!

I leave it in. The first time it took ages to melt the lead, the next time was much quicker, being full of lead.

If you MUST empty your pot, the next time you use it, put a little beeswax in the bottom with the SMALL (important) chunks of lead you are starting with. The wax (not paraffin !) has a high melting temp and will help the lead melt faster. Still, an empty pot takes a very long time to melt. That's why you NEVER empty it. Very small hunks of lead (like old boolits !) help. Using ingots will take forever. The wax forms an intimate contact with the heated pot and transfers the heat faster. Once you get a little pool of liquid metal in the bottom, things start melting faster!

banger

JimA
03-18-2014, 02:58 PM
When I finish casting I like to set up my pot for the next session. I like to keep the same basic alloy going unless I'm going to be casting something totally different (not very often). I will add ingots to get the pot up to 3/4 full or more on my 20 lb pot and flux then shut it down.
Very little to do next start up. The alloy melts almost as quickly with a full pot as one with an inch or so in the bottom. you are ready to go as soon as your molds are warm.