PDA

View Full Version : It's snowing again in Nebraska!

bhn22
02-28-2014, 08:14 PM
deleted along with most of my old posts and pics

6bg6ga
02-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Were supposed to get 8" or so here in Iowa. It would be interesting to see the full width of the street before June.

Bored1
02-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Wait 5 mins. That's the one great thing about the weather here!!!

fryboy
02-28-2014, 08:47 PM
here in do dah we're under a severe winter storm warning , that assures me that you are too ( you being north and east of me ) ...yeah i hated to say erm type that but here it is , i'd rather face it square in the eye and get it over with , with those thoughts i spent what free time i had today stocking up the pantry and petrol etc but cheer up !! 3 days ago i saw one measly sickly spindly dejected weary looking female robin .... today i saw two males deciding upon turf , and as i carried in my purchases i was pleasantly surprised to whistle back and forth with a male cardinal ( one of the few bird calls i can do decent enough that they'll chat with me ) he flew closer from about 400 yards away to see what he was talking with , while i've seen frozen robins a few years i know it wont be long and it'll be so hot ... you'll be missing that snow and cold , and that amigo leads me to a profound truth i discovered years ago - you get the weather you ask for only ...it has a 6 month built in delay ( so com'on 72F and sunny ;) )

**oneshot**
02-28-2014, 08:58 PM
I'm with you, I'm done with the snow, I'm done with winter. I need spring!!!!!!!!!!

Bored1
02-28-2014, 09:02 PM
I don't mind the snow or the cold. Just stop the dang wind!!!! Makes it so much worse to try to shoot when it 27 degrees and blowing 40 knots!!!

But you are right, before we know it it's gonna be 105 out with 90% humidity. I miss northern Arizona in tines like this!!!

Hickory
02-28-2014, 09:20 PM
Spring's just around the corner, I got my garden seeds today.
Tomorrow I'll start some seeds in trays. I'm optimistic, but
I know this weather could drag on into May. I hope not.

leeggen
02-28-2014, 09:44 PM
winter has been long or atleast is seems that way. Last few days I been cutting firewood for next winter. Now have it cut and just about 3 rick left to split. Feels real good to be back in the woods. The last few yrs my sons had to do it while my back and shoulder healed. It is just nice for winter here in Tn to have been as it was/is. Gave me time to work as much or as little as I needed to get the task done. Would like to have been shooting but with the trees down on sap it is alot quicker to dry.
Just one vote for winter being here---- It can end now!!
CD

arjacobson
02-28-2014, 10:57 PM
But I don't want it to snow... I don't like snow anymore. Where you located at in Nebraska? We go to Shelby(south of colombus) quite often. Weather has been rough here in Iowa also. I have done nothing this winter except plow snow and fix main breaks. Sometimes all in the same day!

BruceB
02-28-2014, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE=leeggen;2660195] "winter has been long or at least is seems that way". (TENNESSEE!)

This really goes to show that "It's all relative."

When I lived in the Northwest Territories, the house was on the shore of a nice lake which was maybe 18 miles long and five miles across at the widest.

That lake FROZE in late September or the first few days of October. I could generally count on the ice finally clearing off in the first week of JUNE. You want to talk about long winters....!

We pumped our water directly from the lake with a deep-well electric pump in about fourteen feet of water off-shore. Fourteen feet, because the ice in some winters got to EIGHT FEET thick. Ice fishermen had to have the extensions for their augers to reach liquid water in late winter.

The coldest temperature at which I pumped water from the lake (seventy vertical feet, four hundred horizontal) was fifty-five degrees below zero. After a lot of blood, sweat and trial-and-error, I had designed and created a system using hot glycol to pre-heat the water line before pumping. From the time I finished that system, we had no further trouble with the water supply.

With a 1200-gallon water tank in the house, and one-gallon-per-flush toilets draining to our pump-out holding tank, I only had to pump water every week or ten days. I usually began thinking about pumping when that tank got down to maybe half-full, just to give a bit of a cushion in case of trouble.

Yes, winter was sometimes a trial ----and an adventure, too. ("Adventures" are what we get when things go wrong,"--life wisdom according to BruceB)

btroj
02-28-2014, 11:09 PM
Where you located at in Nebraska? We go to Shelby(south of colombus) quite often. Weather has been rough here in Iowa also. I have done nothing this winter except plow snow and fix main breaks. Sometimes all in the same day!

Mason City is also in such a Flat area that the wind howls thru. I lived in Eagle grove for a year in 88-89 and that area is flat, flat, flat.

At least Omaha and Lincoln have some "terrain" to help .

We have been far better off than east and central Iowa. My daughter is a student at Iowa and they are getting far more snow and cold the than we are. I'm ok with that.

str8shot426
02-28-2014, 11:20 PM
I don't mind the snow or the cold. Just stop the dang wind!!!! Makes it so much worse to try to shoot when it 27 degrees and blowing 40 knots!!!

But you are right, before we know it it's gonna be 105 out with 90% humidity. I miss northern Arizona in tines like this!!!

I heard the wind stopped in Nebraska onetime........everyone fell down.

Rex
02-28-2014, 11:28 PM
Flurries in Paxton,Ne. now more coming tonight and tomorrow but we've only got maybe 3" on the ground.

rexherring
02-28-2014, 11:32 PM
-17 degrees tonight with a high of -9 tomorrow, -21 tomorrow night.

Iowa Fox
02-28-2014, 11:38 PM
Mason City is also in such a Flat area that the wind howls thru. I lived in Eagle grove for a year in 88-89 and that area is flat, flat, flat.

At least Omaha and Lincoln have some "terrain" to help .

We have been far better off than east and central Iowa. My daughter is a student at Iowa and they are getting far more snow and cold the than we are. I'm ok with that.

I'm just north of Ia City out in the country and this is the worst one I remember since we lived here, 34 yrs. I have a good friend in Mason City and I swear it always feels 30 degrees colder there plus the wind always howls. No wonder they built all the wind turbines there. Not as many eagles here this year as the river is frozen solid by me, no open water for them. Spring can't get here quick enough. Hope its a good morel season.

knifemaker
02-28-2014, 11:38 PM
well guys get ready for another big storm and snow. I am in the foothills just North-East of Sacramento and we have had over 6-7 inches of rain yesterday and today. This storm is dumping good amounts of snow in the Sierra mountains and is heading east towards Nevada and points beyound.

dragonrider
03-01-2014, 12:52 AM
We have snow coming in sunday night into Monday. Predictions were as high as 22 inches, has been downgraded because storm is predicted to move south thusly giving us less snow. May only be about 6 now. I hope. Temp right now is 3 degrees, will maybe dip below 0 before dawn. The cold is what has been really bothersome, snow I can handle, the Kubota make short work of it, but the cold is just nasty. This is the coldest winter we have had in a long, long time. Had more days of below zero temps and just above zero than I can ever remember. Most of January was spent in zero or below, then we had about three days of 40 degrees and now it's back down to zero for the next few days. Need a break.

6bg6ga
03-01-2014, 07:03 AM
I'm just north of Ia City out in the country and this is the worst one I remember since we lived here, 34 yrs. I have a good friend in Mason City and I swear it always feels 30 degrees colder there plus the wind always howls. No wonder they built all the wind turbines there. Not as many eagles here this year as the river is frozen solid by me, no open water for them. Spring can't get here quick enough. Hope its a good morel season.

Your right those turbines are all lined up and it makes for a nice picture. The Mason City area just seems colder than any other place in Iowa. I always hate to drive there during the winter. It seems that the temp does drop automatically when you head there.

arjacobson
03-01-2014, 11:47 AM
I think it's just the attitudes of the natural born citizens here that cause it to seem so cold!!! Out of all the towns I have lived in Mason is very LIBERAL so to speak. We have a ton of snow-very cold since December-Worst winter I can remember..... I'm happy all the other NE members have wind.. I just thought it was normal for constant 40 mph winds out at the farm!!! In fact I saw my first dust storm last summer in Nebraska. It looked like a wall coming at me.. hang in there everyone spring is just around the corner!!!!!!!!

btroj
03-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Spring? We get a spring? Ok, maybe for a couple weeks.

fryboy
03-01-2014, 12:00 PM
down just south of nebraska i like to state that we get 9 months of summer , a coupla weeks of fall , 6 months of winter and 3 to 5 days of spring - and those 3 to 5 days are seldom in a row

( yeah i know that that's more than 12 months but if you lived close to me you could only agree wholeheartedly , btw ? for a qualifier i work outside year 'round )

remy3424
03-01-2014, 04:11 PM
NW Iowa has had very little snow cover(great news for the pheasants), but plenty of COLD weather, we currently have both. We have about 4 or 5 days of snow cover currently with more coming down as I write this...this is the most snow we have had all year combined. Let's see if Tommyboy chimes in over in Clinton Iowa (opposite side of the state), I hear they have had snow cover since the first week of December and close to 3 feet on the ground now.

btroj
03-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Yep, snow doesn't seem to be materializing. I'm ok with that. The cold however is here.

6bg6ga
03-01-2014, 05:25 PM
We don't seem to be getting too much in central Iowa at least at the moment.

Iowa Fox
03-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Glad to hear you have some pheasants left up there. I did see a few here a week ago but mostly we have a lot of ugly turkeys. Saw a big alpha male coyote standing right behind the house last Monday shortly before noon. This guy was big, he stood there for a while just looking around which is unusual. Normally they are always moving fast. After a few minutes he just trotted off slowly into the timber and then just stood there looking around, he was really a prime fluffy one. I have a hunch he was looking for Mrs coyote. One thing they have lots of deer to eat here.

MtGun44
03-02-2014, 12:23 AM
Brad,

It's NEBRASKA - it snows and gets cold. How long have you lived there? :bigsmyl2:

Bill

btroj
03-02-2014, 12:27 AM
Brad,

It's NEBRASKA - it snows and gets cold. How long have you lived there? :bigsmyl2:

Bill

Lived here since mid 70s. That is long enough to have gotten used to cold spells followed by stretches of 50s. This year, not so much. I'm tired of 20 degree day with wind.

Yep, winter behaving like winter sucks. I want my old fashioned fickle Nebraska weather back.

deerspy
03-02-2014, 12:37 AM
cold and blowing -5 windchill had freezing rain and sleet and now going two get two to four of snow on top, well i don't like it any more ether slipped and busted knee and elbow today going from shed to house ouch!

Bored1
03-02-2014, 01:34 AM
Well the 5 minute thing hasn't panned out. IT sure is COLD. Aladdin doesn't even want to go outside. That's how I know it's ridiculously cold outside. The half horse/ half black lab that loves to stuff his head completely under the snow wants no part at all of this mess!

waksupi
03-02-2014, 01:37 AM
I was chatting with some friends on the Yellowstone and Missouri River. Some are concerned about Ft. Peck dam holding when the thaw comes. It's at a high level already, much higher than when the downstream flooding was a few years ago. And we have snow. Lots of snow. I really recommend to look for some sand bags, and be ready if you are on the Mighty Mo flood plain.

Bored1
03-02-2014, 01:47 AM
I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope we don't go through that again. Didn't effect me a ton here in Omaha, however was pretty brutal in some of the lower areas. Favorite park on the river to fish had almost 9 feet of standing water on top of the soccer fields the last time the floods came! Pushed a literal ton of deer up into the farm I hunt since it's only about 3 miles from the river and their normal fields were flooded, but don't like seeing all the destruction. Would rather not see deer and no flooding then the other way around!

btroj
03-02-2014, 08:53 AM
Yep, we don't need that flooding again. It was a mess. I'm up plenty high to stay dry but I don't think some of the damage is totally fixed yet.

Waksupi, can you start melting some snow now so the water flow begins earlier?

6bg6ga
03-02-2014, 08:59 AM
I remember the flood of 2008 in Cedar Rapids,IA All this snow could trigger something like that again and they are still trying to get things back to normal.

waksupi
03-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Yep, we don't need that flooding again. It was a mess. I'm up plenty high to stay dry but I don't think some of the damage is totally fixed yet.

Waksupi, can you start melting some snow now so the water flow begins earlier?

I'm doing it, one yellow spot at a time.

square butte
03-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Let a moderator off the hook to retire and see what you get.

btroj
03-02-2014, 01:58 PM
I'm doing it, one yellow spot at a time.

Well start drinking more beer and coffee please. And get the other locals to help, I'm sure they won't mind.

fryboy
03-02-2014, 02:14 PM
umm hate to point out the obvious but adding more water upstream rarely helps downstream :kidding:

btroj
03-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Bit adding water upstream at a time of low flow downstream could. I'm asking him to get a flow going, sort of a snow melt Flomax so to speak.

I hope at Ft peck starts releasing water fast as soon as it starts coming in.