PDA

View Full Version : ladder sight on the barrel-94 Winchester

samwithacolt
02-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Anyone know where to get one of these, or if they are still made?
Also would like to hear from anyone who has used one and what you think of it. I have a .38-55 with a trajectory like a beer bottle. The no 2 tang sight set for 200yds leaves a big gap from the buckhorns at 100 yds.

pietro
02-28-2014, 09:13 PM

http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_1407.htm

bigted
03-04-2014, 04:12 PM
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Smith_Enterprise_Sights_it-164010.aspx?CAT=4077

cwheel
03-04-2014, 05:31 PM
I've got a original on my 38-55, was special ordered back in 1917. When I started working up loads for this one recently, biggest issue was to get the 100 yard zero with the sight folded flat against the barrel. No way of knowing what the factory rounds were loaded to back then. I fussed with it for quite awhile and got the zero but in the process had to load all the way down to 1400 fps. I looked at it for some time and then noticed that the front sight had a replaceable insert, and that had to be the elevation adjustment, and it was. Got my rounds loaded up to 1625 fps, which is more than within the pressure range for the Lyman 375296 gas check boolit I'm using. Made a new front sight blade and adjusted the zero to 100 yards. Off a rest it shoots a little over 2" groups @100. When you flip the sight up and run the slider down to the bottom, that ends up being the 150 yard zero. I've shot mine out to 300 off the ladder sight, hits so-so, within a couple of feet. I think past 200 you are stretching this thing anyway. If you don't have the front sight that has the replaceable blade, I wouldn't use this sight. There isn't an adjustment in the rear sight for zero, only the front blade. Also, in the first link, I noticed something was off with their repo. Graduations on my original go from
0-20 on the slider, 20 represents 2000 yards. ( lots of luck with that one ) the repo is different. See if I can post pics with this so you can see what I'm talking about. Some reason it posted everything I had in the folder. Look at the last 3.
Chris

samwithacolt
03-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Thanks Chris, I had actually wondered about the v in the folded position, there's no knowing where it could be. I like my front sight, it's a nice Marble's blade(were they Marble's originally?), I certainly would'nt be taking a file to it. My gun has a very poor bore, I have only pushed it around 1300 fps.
I actually cast some straight stick on WW boolits for it today, hoping to see how fast I can push that plain base boolit and still have accuracy. I'll decide then what to do.

cwheel
03-05-2014, 01:36 AM
Don't think the front on mine is a Marble's. The front sight base that the sight blade fits into is part of the barrel, sure thing it's a Winchester. It appears that the design of that blade is made to be filed to adjust the zero. Without that, think the ladder sight would be next to useless because you couldn't calibrate the 100 yard zero to get the rest of the graduations somewhat close. That bore could surprise you, mine is somewhat rough in a couple of spots, but for a old open sighted lever, it still shoots a little over 2" groups @100. Bet in my hands, a new bore wouldn't shoot much better if at all. There are a number of cautions in loading for this one, one old book I have states many of these have excessive headspace, work up loads accordingly. The 1625 fps I have now is fast enough for me, won't exceed that load. Good luck with yours.
Chris