PDA

View Full Version : Boolits per pound?

snaketail
02-28-2014, 06:38 PM
Is there a formula that will give me a rough estimate of how many boolits I can cast per pound of wheel weight? I'm going to cast 255gr boolits for my .45 Colt and wonder how many casts per pound I should expect.

Please forgive the newbie question, but I finally got all the parts together and am ready to start casting rather than buying.

M

bdicki
02-28-2014, 06:40 PM
7000 grains per pound

bradh
02-28-2014, 06:42 PM
Yes 7000 grains per pound. 7000 divided by 255 = 27 boolits per pound.

WildcatFan
02-28-2014, 06:52 PM
I'm a cheapskate, so I'll prolly be loading my .45Autos to 200g, not 230g. Sheesh.

11B-101ABN
02-28-2014, 06:58 PM
There are 7000 grains per pound. Divide 7000 by your boolit weight. 7000/255= 27.45 minus spills and waste count on 25. How many keepers you get is up to your Quality Assurance Inspector. That formula works for powder also, to figure out how many loads you get from a pound of powder.

scattershot
02-28-2014, 06:59 PM
7000 grains per pound, divided by the number of grains in your boolit, less some arbitrary figure for dross, sprues, etc. would give you an idea.

DRNurse1
02-28-2014, 07:05 PM
7000 grains per pound, divided by the number of grains in your boolit, less some arbitrary figure for dross, sprues, etc. would give you an idea.

Loss from dross, yes, but sprues and boolits failing QC wind up back in my pot---no loss. I cast 0.452 x225 grains and my yield is 31 boolits per pound. I clean and flux my alloy in the smelting process so dross is limited to the sawdust I add to the pot.

5 grains of bullseye makes a lot of cartridges, just sayin'.

MT Gianni
02-28-2014, 07:15 PM
The formula will get you close from ww ingots but you also have clips and dross.

rhead
03-01-2014, 07:39 AM
I'm a cheapskate, so I'll prolly be loading my .45Autos to 200g, not 230g. Sheesh.

It is certainty something to look at. my advice is don't let the cost of any component be the only determining factor. If the heavier boolit shoots significantly better it might be false economy. I hope that you also gain accuracy. If you lose accuracy it is up to you to decide if the savings is worth it to you.

DLCTEX
03-01-2014, 07:53 AM
200 gr. Boolits get you 35 to the pound, which is why I like to go lighter for general shooting.

6bg6ga
03-01-2014, 08:01 AM
There are 7000 grains per pound. Divide 7000 by your boolit weight. 7000/255= 27.45 minus spills and waste count on 25. How many keepers you get is up to your Quality Assurance Inspector. That formula works for powder also, to figure out how many loads you get from a pound of powder.

If you have ww that has been melted and is in ingot form the posters information is going to be very close at 25 per lb. Even with ww in ingot form you will still flux several times.

6bg6ga
03-01-2014, 08:02 AM
200 gr. Boolits get you 35 to the pound, which is why I like to go lighter for general shooting.

I go highter yet at 185gr for my plinking with my 45acp.

snaketail
03-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks -
M

TXGunNut
03-01-2014, 12:27 PM

Very true, but my guns happen to like the 200 gr H&G 68 type boolits and the lighter boolit is more pleasant to shoot as well.
I use the 7000 grs/1 lb formula to "count" my boolits, sometimes even brass. Learned that trick inventorying hardware. It's important to know the "as cast" weight rather than the nominal weight to get an accurate "count".

TXGunNut
03-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Should someone who can't answer this question for themselves be reloading? A certain amount of understanding of Math and Physics is necessary along with good judgment to be as responsible reloader.

Tim

I'm here to learn, just like the OP. I've been aware of the ratio of grains to pounds since I started reloading but seldom used it until I began casting. The ratio is just one of many useful things found in any loading manual but I'm always finding useful bits of info even in well-read manuals.

6bg6ga
03-01-2014, 01:14 PM
Should someone who can't answer this question for themselves be reloading? A certain amount of understanding of Math and Physics is necessary along with good judgment to be as responsible reloader.

Tim

I'd be willing to bet that a few here didn't have all the answers when they started reloading. That may be the reason for this site and the understanding attitude that most of us have here. I have to give him credit for asking for an answer to his question.

6bg6ga
03-01-2014, 01:19 PM
If one used the figure 6200 instead of 7000 it would probably figure in the loss factor better. This would account for the loss of fluxing several times. 6200/255=24.31 Looking thru my production its closer as I average 26-27 230gr 45acp and 31 200gr

dtknowles
03-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Most of us here try to be self-reliant. If we can do it for ourselves we don't rely on others. This was such a simple thing that coming to this board to ask is silly. Like others have said, the number of grains per pound is in every paper reloading manual. Does the OPer have a reloading manual or read it if he does? Was his real question what is the fraction of a pound of wheelweights that is scrap (clips, paint, etc.)?

We all know there are people out there reloading who should not. They are a danger to themselves and others.

It seems many people here think that anyone should own a gun and reload. I disagree, everyone should have the right to own guns and reload but some people should understand their limitations and decide not to exercise that right.

People who shoot up road signs or shoot after drinking too much or even carrying while drinking need to be convince to either reform or give up their guns.

I am going to give the OPer the benefit of the doubt and assume he either did not phrase his question well or was just lazy and figured it was easier to ask than to figure it out for his self.

The first person to respond to the post took a good approach and listed the conversion factor. Later someone posted a complete answer then the thread drifted to using lighter bullets to get more per pound. If the OPer could not figure out that you get more per pound if you cast lighter bullets, duh.............

Tim

bangerjim
03-01-2014, 02:02 PM
"Dam the torpedoes.....full casting ahead!"

I do not worry a single bit about how many boolits I get from a pound! I LOVE and shoot 250 and 300gn 45LC by the hundreds. They fly better, hit harder and perform better than the 5 other lighter molds I have. At $1/# (the most I have invested in ANY of my alloys!), I do not worry about cost at all.

banger

Boyscout
03-01-2014, 02:31 PM
Weigh your WW weight ingots not your raw material. My yield on wheel weights has been dropping steadily over the past couple of years with steel and zinc increasing.

6bg6ga
03-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Most of us here try to be self-reliant. If we can do it for ourselves we don't rely on others. This was such a simple thing that coming to this board to ask is silly. Like others have said, the number of grains per pound is in every paper reloading manual. Does the OPer have a reloading manual or read it if he does? Was his real question what is the fraction of a pound of wheelweights that is scrap (clips, paint, etc.)?

We all know there are people out there reloading who should not. They are a danger to themselves and others.

It seems many people here think that anyone should own a gun and reload. I disagree, everyone should have the right to own guns and reload but some people should understand their limitations and decide not to exercise that right.

People who shoot up road signs or shoot after drinking too much or even carrying while drinking need to be convince to either reform or give up their guns.

I am going to give the OPer the benefit of the doubt and assume he either did not phrase his question well or was just lazy and figured it was easier to ask than to figure it out for his self.

The first person to respond to the post took a good approach and listed the conversion factor. Later someone posted a complete answer then the thread drifted to using lighter bullets to get more per pound. If the OPer could not figure out that you get more per pound if you cast lighter bullets, duh.............

Tim

Thank God you were here to set me straight:grin:

Digital Dan
03-01-2014, 06:09 PM
82/# here. Am I doing it right?:grin:

I luvs my .25-20.

bangerjim
03-01-2014, 06:21 PM
82/# here. Am I doing it right?:grin:

I luvs my .25-20.

Why worry about it???????? You get what you get!

Just fill up your casting pot and cast away. I use a 4-20 bottom pour and I NEVER count my boolits! EVER! I just cast until I am tired of doing it, refill the pot for the next time, and turn it off.

Are you doing it right? Do they weigh about what the mold is rated for in grains? Do they load & shoot OK?

If you answered "yes".......then you ARE doing it right.

Now get out there and shoot!!!!!! :drinks:

banger

blackthorn
03-01-2014, 07:59 PM
After reading post #19 I can only conclude that cold weather cabin fever has gone south! Sheeeesh, cut the guy some slack, it aint like he was asking why he couldn't use a double load of fast powder in a tiny case.

dragon813gt
03-01-2014, 08:18 PM
My math says I get 63728493748494838483737 bullets per pound. I also charge the 9mm cases w/ 48374839484838483 grains of H50BMG. Quickload assured me this is a starting load w/ no pressure issues. Should be good for 800fps.

To the person that said they never used the grains to pound conversion before you started casting. Did you start reloading at the same time? I'm in agreement that a lot of people should not be reloading. All the answers are in the manuals. Read them over and over if you have to. Can't figure it out after doing this? Get another hobby which doesn't involve explosives and propellants. Sound harsh? You bet it is. But I've been next to to many "hot rodders and know it alls" at the range. This isn't safe for anyone.

Shiloh
03-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Divide your boolit weight into 7000. There is your answer.

Shiloh

dverna
03-02-2014, 07:18 PM
I clicked on this thread after ignoring it for a while.

I wondered - how in the Wide World of Sports could it go on for two pages???

I am with Dtknowles on this. If you have to ask this question, you have neither the mental capacity or mind set to be a safe reloader. Think about it..... Do you want someone with this level of understanding shooting their reloads beside you, or a member of your family.?

I see the same degree of "expertise" more and more on this forum. Like the guy shooting 9 gr of rifle powder in a 5.56 and wondering why the bullets were sticking in his gun when he really meant they were not ejecting. Whisky Tango Foxtrot!!!! Are we doomed to catering and accepting the lowest common denominator?? I can only assume this is the result of "no child left behind". People unable to unwilling to learn. People who have had everything done for them so they can "pass".

DT is 100% correct. Some people have no business reloading. What is next? How much do 500 bullets weigh or how many boxes of ammo can I get from 500 bullets?

I did not have a mentor when I started reloading. I did not have the internet. I bought manuals and read articles and LEARNED. Isn't that a unique concept? What is wrong with the current crop of newbies? I do not remember being that lazy or ignorant.

Don Verna (Grumpy Old Fart - born 1950 - back when failure WAS an option)

bangerjim
03-02-2014, 08:10 PM
I clicked on this thread after ignoring it for a while.

I wondered - how in the Wide World of Sports could it go on for two pages???

I am with Dtknowles on this. If you have to ask this question, you have neither the mental capacity or mind set to be a safe reloader. Think about it..... Do you want someone with this level of understanding shooting their reloads beside you, or a member of your family.?

I see the same degree of "expertise" more and more on this forum. Like the guy shooting 9 gr of rifle powder in a 5.56 and wondering why the bullets were sticking in his gun when he really meant they were not ejecting. Whisky Tango Foxtrot!!!! Are we doomed to catering and accepting the lowest common denominator?? I can only assume this is the result of "no child left behind". People unable to unwilling to learn. People who have had everything done for them so they can "pass".

DT is 100% correct. Some people have no business reloading. What is next? How much do 500 bullets weigh or how many boxes of ammo can I get from 500 bullets?

I did not have a mentor when I started reloading. I did not have the internet. I bought manuals and read articles and LEARNED. Isn't that a unique concept? What is wrong with the current crop of newbies? I do not remember being that lazy or ignorant.

Don Verna (Grumpy Old Fart - born 1950 - back when failure WAS an option)

Love the 50's! I agree. And I did fail...........a lot! Learned from everyone of them.

Have you noticed the explosion of members on here of recent? OK, so I joined about a year ago, but that does not mean I was born then. Been doing this for a long time! Some of these new people are REALLY NEW PEOPLE(!!!!!!!!) at this hobby. They haven't a clue what they are doing and expect us to provide all the answers and not read research themselves.

As you, I started out with a pot and a couple books..........and a thing that is rare today.............WISDOM (common sense). No internet. Only books, the library, and a buddy that I could CALL up (not facetime or blog or tweet with) and ask questions. He would tell me where to go read about it. Then if I still had questions he would guide me, but make me do all the learning.

With the exponential growth in the interest in what we do possibly comes the increase in hospital visits, missing digits and appendages, and holes in walls.......... :violin:

Just my humble view from down here along the border!

banger

A pause for the COZ
03-03-2014, 06:43 AM
Sheeeeesh... Dont get discouraged by the guys that come to a place where questions are asked and then get judgmental when one is asked.

Truly, the only really dumb question is the one you have and dont ask it. So ask away, Some one will help you.
My good question rate is running at 80%. I ask 8 good questions and then for no apparent reason i will throw in a couple ( D'oh I knew thats).
4 am some times its hard to remember what you read some where else.
just my opinion of course.

Sasquatch-1
03-03-2014, 08:15 AM
I thought this forum was all about sharing information. If people new to the hobby didn't ask questions the only thing left here would be bragging, swapping and selling and the pit. Granted this was a simple question but SO WHAT. I would rather see simple questions then someone getting hurt and another negative news article for the liberal media to distribute. If it weren't for simple questions this site might have 10 or 12 post a day. Give the guy a break, He probably went through the post 70's school system.

dverna
03-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Guys

We can agree to disagree. There are dumb and stupid questions. Dumb and/or stupid have no place in shooting or reloading. One can do all the dumb stupid things they want when casting bullets as the only consequences are poor accuracy/performance and maybe some really bad burns (pain is a good way to learn BTW) - but no innocent bystander gets hurt.

I, for one, WILL NOT pander to the mentality that dumb, stupid questions are acceptabel or even worse encouraged. If we do that, it only encourages more of the same behavior. People need to put some effort into this. They need to read the some of the stickies, read some manuals, and show us they are serious. If someone does not know how many grains are in a pound they never read much about reloading, have no comprehension or retention abilities, or are lazy. Bottom line - not worth my effort.

If it means that 50% of the threads disappear - GREAT!!!!!!!!!

I am tired of 100 page stickies full of atta-boys, and the same questions over and over and over again. If that becomes the new norm for stickies, asking newbies to read the stickies will be a waste of time and so we will get inundated with questions that have been answered dozens of other times. I am tired of "My 9mm in leading" threads every month. We are seeing the dumbing down of the forum - and it disappoints me.

Not surprising really. Look at the direction the country is going. Failure is no longer possible or to be ashamed of - it is normal.

Don Verna

PS: I remember my first boss - almost 50 years ago. I was a junior engineer fresh out of university working for a large company and I reported to the Chief Engineer. He told me, "Don, you are allowed one stupid mistake. You need to save me at least double what I am paying you every year or you are gone. And I call a spade a F--king shovel". Those days are gone forever - and I am sure we are worse off because of it.

whisler
03-03-2014, 10:27 PM
The only hope for those who have gone through the "dumbed down" education system is those who didn't. Most of them are not dumb/unintelligent, they are just uneducated. With our educational system as it is, is it all their fault? They weren't taught how to look things up except on the internet. Let's at least try to teach them how to learn. Point them to the stickies, the loading manuals etc. and encourage them to read them thoroughly. I had a freshman chemistry prof. who told us that 90% of all knowledge was knowing where to look it up. In the 50 years since then I have found that to be quite true. Let's instruct them on "looking it up" if it is at least published information.

dragon813gt
03-03-2014, 10:30 PM
Am I the only one that noticed the OP's occupation?

tazman
03-03-2014, 10:38 PM
In defense of the dumb question.
I have tried and tried to use the search function on this site and it is nearly hopeless. A search for 30-06 or 9mm comes back with 0 entries found. If I put more than a single term in the search window, anything it finds will be for the first word only and most have little relevance to the rest of the search. It doesn't do any good to do a search here. I get better results doing a search on google and clicking on the cast boolit links it finds.
If it weren't for the stickies all you would get would be repeat questions.
The stickies and the willingness of the members to answer "dumb question" is the thing that sets this site apart from the rest. I would hate to see this ruined by a few people who are tired of it and complaining about the new members inexperience.
I seriously doubt they even have a good idea what questions to ask or where else to ask them.

dragon813gt
03-03-2014, 10:42 PM
In defense of the dumb question.
I have tried and tried to use the search function on this site and it is nearly hopeless.
Use the search provider of your choice, like Google, and put "CastBoolits" before what you're searching for. Gives you a lot of results. This works for any and all websites. I use it all the time for retailers like Midway so I don't have to use their poor search tools.

tazman
03-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Use the search provider of your choice, like Google, and put "CastBoolits" before what you're searching for. Gives you a lot of results. This works for any and all websites. I use it all the time for retailers like Midway so I don't have to use their poor search tools.

That is exactly what I have been doing but the point is most will expect the search function on the site to work correctly.

762 shooter
03-03-2014, 10:52 PM
I think everyone can agree that the OP needs to regroup if he asked the question I think he asked.

tazman
03-03-2014, 11:02 PM
40 years ago when I first started reloading, I remember loading using scales and powder measure to check loads and bullet weights after reading several manuals about the process. Funny thing was there was no mention of the fact that there are 7000 grains to a pound in any of the articles I read. It was almost a year before I asked someone at my LGS about it and they did answer but I was given much the same response of "If you don't know that you are too dumb".
Some of the basic information we use and take for granted isn't readily available and put out there like it should be. Yes you can google a topic, but you still need to know exactly what question to ask first.
How do you look up a word in the dictionary if you don't know how to spell it?

dtknowles
03-04-2014, 12:05 AM
40 years ago when I first started reloading, I remember loading using scales and powder measure to check loads and bullet weights after reading several manuals about the process. Funny thing was there was no mention of the fact that there are 7000 grains to a pound in any of the articles I read. It was almost a year before I asked someone at my LGS about it and they did answer but I was given much the same response of "If you don't know that you are too dumb".
Some of the basic information we use and take for granted isn't readily available and put out there like it should be. Yes you can google a topic, but you still need to know exactly what question to ask first.
How do you look up a word in the dictionary if you don't know how to spell it?

I look up words in the dictionary to find out how to spell them, that is my most common use of a dictionary. I can get close enough to find the word, I have half a clue. When I first started reloading one of the first questions I asked myself was how many grains in an ounce. I had a feel for an ounce but no clue what a grain was like. So soon there after I wanted to what my loads were costing me so I knew to divide the charge weight into 7000 then that into the cents per pound of powder plus the bullet and the primer. I did not teach myself this it was the same kind of think I was taught in math and physics class in High School. You could have asked me how many lead balls in a pound and I would have asked you what the diameter was and I was expected to get the right answer. I was not expected to have the density or the equation for the volume of a sphere memorized.

I am going to apologize to the OP, you can be a safe reloader without exercising this kind of thinking but you miss so much of the fun. If you are just reloading to save on ammo while you persue other shooting goals, every one must choose their own path. Maybe the OP did not even realize what a simple question he was asking and could easily answered himself except he did not even think to try.

Tim

tazman
03-04-2014, 12:11 AM
I am going to apologize to the OP, you can be a safe reloader without exercising this kind of thinking but you miss so much of the fun. If you are just reloading to save on ammo while you persue other shooting goals, every one must choose their own path. Maybe the OP did not even realize what a simple question he was asking and could easily answered himself except he did not even think to try.

Tim

Thank you for that

6bg6ga
03-04-2014, 07:53 AM
Some of you guys have a lot of gall. Who the heck put you on top of the wall anyway? I've never seen such a display of BS in my life. You all come out of your hole to attack a newer member that asks a simple question. The poster asked a simple question and was nailed to the cross with your attitudes. I will suggest this.... try to make this a better place by checking your attitudes. There isn't a one of you that posted be ess here that isn't guilt free when it comes to what you call a stupid post.

The question was asked and answered and maybe if a mod is reading this he will simply lock this thread and call it a day and we'll all move on. One more thing....since most of you guys claim to be God fearing people due ask yourself the next time you go to church if you have been acting in a good christian way. Amen

A pause for the COZ
03-04-2014, 10:00 AM
I agree... If a simple question is asked. Guess what... You dont have to answer it. You can click off and move on.
Let some one else who is willing to help out the newbe answer.

He may have a real important question latter that he may be afraid to ask. We dont want that.I dont mind wading through some stem to get to the seed.

The good thing about these kinds of forums. You can gage how good your question was by how fast it falls to page 2.
If its not of interest it does not take long to disapear only to be found with the search function.

Jtarm
03-06-2014, 12:39 AM
I gotta agree with Tim:
I'm all for answering questions & sharing information, but the internet has made us a lazy society.

Just google it & do the math. I figured it out 40 years ago by reading my reloading manuals.

6bg6ga
03-06-2014, 06:52 AM
I gotta agree with Tim:
I'm all for answering questions & sharing information, but the internet has made us a lazy society.

Just google it & do the math. I figured it out 40 years ago by reading my reloading manuals.

Maybe the poster didn't phrase his question correctly and simply wanted to know what to expect off a ingot after fluxing and loss. After fluxing and loss as I pointed out I AVERAGE on a figure of 6500 grains. This figure puts me at about 99% of what I expect to get from every lb.

btroj
03-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Some of you guys have a lot of gall. Who the heck put you on top of the wall anyway? I've never seen such a display of BS in my life. You all come out of your hole to attack a newer member that asks a simple question. The poster asked a simple question and was nailed to the cross with your attitudes. I will suggest this.... try to make this a better place by checking your attitudes. There isn't a one of you that posted be ess here that isn't guilt free when it comes to what you call a stupid post.

The question was asked and answered and maybe if a mod is reading this he will simply lock this thread and call it a day and we'll all move on. One more thing....since most of you guys claim to be God fearing people due ask yourself the next time you go to church if you have been acting in a good christian way. Amen

Sort of like telling people they are fools for playing with lube recipes because all lubes are equal in the accuracy department?

6bg6ga
03-06-2014, 08:20 AM
Kinda hijacked the thread didn't you? Were not talking lube and I'll wait for the book to come out so I can read all about all all the hard work that went into it and the documentation that was put together. Until then I will keep my opinions and you can keep yours.

TheCelt
03-06-2014, 12:34 PM

Tim

I always figured the only stupid question was the one you didn't ask. He's just starting to cast, maybe he's not familiar with the different units of measurement. It's interesting that the "grain" is the only unit of measure used universally in the troy, avoirdupois, and apothecaries' systems of mass.

dtknowles
03-06-2014, 12:50 PM
I always figured the only stupid question was the one you didn't ask. He's just starting to cast, maybe he's not familiar with the different units of measurement. It's interesting that the "grain" is the only unit of measure used universally in the troy, avoirdupois, and apothecaries' systems of mass.

I have already appologized for that post in a later post and have now deleted the post you quoted.

Tim

TheCelt
03-06-2014, 12:54 PM
I have already appologized for that post in a later post and have now deleted the post you quoted.

Tim

Good on ya Tim. I reckon sometimes we're all a little quick on the "send" button, I guess I was too!!! In line with your stepping up I'll do the same and apologize to you for quoting a post you deleted, sorry about that Pard.

dtknowles
03-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Good on ya Tim. I reckon sometimes we're all a little quick on the "send" button, I guess I was too!!! In line with your stepping up I'll do the same and apologize to you for quoting a post you deleted, sorry about that Pard.

I was slow at deleting my offensive post, error was not yours.

Tim