PDA

View Full Version : A rifle for Felix

MBTcustom
02-27-2014, 10:23 PM
I just finished dressing up a very special rifle for a very special member. This rifle belongs to our own Felix.
It is a Marlin 1894 in 41 Remington Magnum. A special edition.
When I got it, it didn't look bad per se, but it didn't look good either. The bolt did not fit in the receiver and stood proud all around it. There were deep scratches in the receiver also, hidden by course bead blasting. There was a spot on the side of the barrel that had lost it's bluing and had been patched with cold blue. The lever was stiff, and the trigger was about 4lb.
There were dings in the stock and the finish on the wood was poor, hindering the gorgeous wood from presenting itself.

I stripped the entire rifle and polished every single surface with files, wood block, and sand paper. The action was slicked up, and a competition flat wound spring was installed dropping the trigger pull to a crisp 3.5lb and I dropped the pressure on the lever so that it takes only 5lb of pressure to open it with the hammer down.
The rifle was reblued and no expense was spared in preparation for the salts. It was with trepidation and crossed fingers that I finally lowered it into the salts I can assure you.
The dents were steamed out of the wood and Truoil was rubbed in by hand. Over 20 coats were applied over a week and a half. I kept at it until I was satisfied.
The gun looks even more amazing in person than it does in the photographs.
I am very proud of this rifle, and Felix encouraged me to post pictures of it for you all to see.
On that note, please say a prayer for our friend and mentor. He is in the hospital now with pneumonia and it is serious.
Thank you.

Felix, you have done so much for all of us, I gave my very best effort to show my appreciation with every stroke of the stone and file when doing this job for you. I wish I could reach into the future and give you the best I will be capable of then, but this is the best I can do now, and it is an honor to serve you and your family.
God bless you for all you have done for us!

Love Life
02-27-2014, 10:26 PM
I will pray for Felix. His short and to the point posts have forced me to learn more than I ever thought I would.

As usual, great work.

btroj
02-27-2014, 10:29 PM
Fine rifle for a fine gentleman.

Get well Felix, we need you here.

Lefty SRH
02-27-2014, 10:33 PM
Very nice Tim!

Bent Ramrod
02-27-2014, 10:36 PM
Felix has been posting good, informative stuff since the old "Shooter's" site days. Best wishes for his recovery to good health.

Very nice work on the rifle. I look forward to Felix's range report.

Bjornb
02-27-2014, 10:40 PM
What a beautiful rifle. Here's to Felix and Tim!!:drinks:

retread
02-27-2014, 10:45 PM
My prayers for Felix and my compliments to Tim for a job very well done.

MBTcustom
02-27-2014, 10:46 PM
Yours will be following it very soon Bjorn.

pincherpartner
02-27-2014, 11:11 PM
Great job, and looks like you've got a really good photographer as well.

texassako
02-27-2014, 11:15 PM
Prayers for Felix and that rifle sure looks nice. Nice pics too. One of these days I hope to have you work a little magic on an 1895 Winchester.

Bjornb
02-27-2014, 11:20 PM
Yours will be following it very soon Bjorn.

I know, and I'm really looking forward to getting the rifle. I also hope Felix will soon be back on his feet to enjoy HIS rifle!

02-27-2014, 11:47 PM
Like most everybody here, I've never been face to face with another from this site. I have come to know Felix by his writings only. Best wishes on a quick recovery and good on you, goodsteel, for your efforts on his behalf. Man! What a rifle!!!!!!!!!!

W.R.Buchanan
02-28-2014, 12:03 AM
Tim That one came out really nice. I never ceases to amaze me how much character is hidden under the goo know as "Marshield."

My 1894 CB was night and day difference.

Good job. I've just about got the piece parts together for my A5 to send to you for re finish.

Randy

smoked turkey
02-28-2014, 12:03 AM
I also have said a prayer for Felix fast and complete recovery. Tim you are a real jewel. Thank you for sharing your expertise so often and so well. You picked a special person for this labor of love and appreciation. On behalf of us all. Thank-You!

Iowa Fox
02-28-2014, 12:30 AM
Prayers to Felix and Tim you did a fantastic job on that rifle. Pneumonia just about got my wife last year, she spent 7 days in I C at the Unv of Ia Hospital. Its some mean stuff.

propwashp47
02-28-2014, 12:49 AM
the people of this site amaze and inspire me with their kindness generosity and kind harts. quick recovery prayers for FELIX and TIM you have taught us all one more lesson. well done. we are but on this earth but a fleeting moment and the only lasting mark we make on this world is the service we do for others.

exile
02-28-2014, 12:51 AM
Praying for you Felix. Anyone with a beautiful rifle like that has to get well, soon!

exile

MBTcustom
02-28-2014, 06:55 AM
I apologize for not mentioning my Photographer!
Her Name is Jackie Romine http://www.jackierominephotography.com/
She is an amazing lady for sure. Doing just like me working out of her garage basically, and doing absolute artwork. I just call her a few days in advance and she builds me a set. This time, I asked for something like the opening scene in "Silverado". Or a rustic mining shack. She totally nailed it although we did some rearranging when I got there.
I would encourage all of you, no matter what you are after, (pulling the dents out of your car, fixing you lawn mower, etc etc) to find a little guy to work with. There are amazingly talented people that are tucked in every corner of this country and they are all heart. This is small business at it's best.

w5pv
02-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Very nice work Tim, prayers for Felix and you.

AlaskanGuy
02-28-2014, 12:14 PM
An amazing rifle, your really did good sir.... You are blessed with talent.....

I have one question though, how much did you pay for that male model wierdo to hold that beautiful gun??? Whatever it was, better get a refund..... :kidding:

CastingFool
02-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Can't add anything else to what other members have already said. Kudos to Tim, and prayers for Felix for a quick recovery.

MrWolf
02-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Beautiful work done and prayers out to Felix so he can enjoy your effort.

Char-Gar
02-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Felix is one of a kind for sure and for certain. A most admirable gentleman.

You did great work for a great man.

Your sense of friendship and commitment to your friends, is a very admirable and endearing trait. It is not as common as it once was.

jmort
02-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Master craftsmanship. That is a lever action for the ages. Have read and absorbed your philosophy on firearms and attention to detail, I am now beginning to understand. Praying for Felix as well.

nekshot
02-28-2014, 01:11 PM
very nice job indeed and prayers for Felix!

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-28-2014, 01:19 PM
great job Tim,
Prayers for Felix

Love Life
02-28-2014, 02:20 PM
An amazing rifle, your really did good sir.... You are blessed with talent.....

I have one question though, how much did you pay for that male model wierdo to hold that beautiful gun??? Whatever it was, better get a refund..... :kidding:

I'd say he came across as a young Sylvester Stallone. Well...almost, because you can understand what Tim is saying.

Love Life
02-28-2014, 02:21 PM
Man!! That bluing is DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!

John Allen
02-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Tim, it looks great the blueing looks really deep almost black.

MBTcustom
02-28-2014, 05:26 PM
Man!! That bluing is DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!

Thank you. It looks even better in person. I can shave (not that I would want to) in any flat surface on that gun.
I was a little disappointed in the photographs to be honest with you because the rifle is covered in smudged fingerprints. If you look real close, you can see I'm holding a kleenex in my left hand. I usually take a lightly oiled rag with me to prep for each shot, but I was SOL this time.
The bluing is as perfect as I know how to make it, and I absolutely poured over every inch of that rifle before running it through the tanks. I was nervous as all get out when it was bluing, worrying if the temperature was perfect, if I had missed a spot, if some oil had leached out of some hidden crevice etc etc etc. I didn't start to relax until the next day when I could wipe it down and observe it in bright sunlight. I could find not one scratch out of place, and I assure you I was looking for any reason to redo the finish, even though it would be a painful proposition. I found one slight smudge on the magazine tube, (little more than an inconsistency in the polishing) but it was hidden under the forend, and honestly would be undetectable except to a collector, and even then, only in perfect lighting.
When I finish putting a rifle together, I want to get that feeling of perfection. It just washes over me and assures me that my standard has been realized.
Whew! what a relief!
Now I've just got to get this rifle back to Felix without picking up any imperfections along the way!

Thank you all for the prayers! He needs it.

Rangefinder
02-28-2014, 06:17 PM
These are the times (and threads) that make me truly appreciate the place I've found here among such wonderful people. I've never sat face-to-face with another member here that I'm aware of--I've talked with and dealt with quite a few over the years for a variety of reasons--and NEVER have I felt like I wasn't with the very best of friends a guy could ever hope to have. It never surprises me to realize how incredible the people are who I mingle with here, but it does leave me in awe of how lucky I am to be here quite often.

Beautiful work, Tim. I will say a little something with hopes and thoughts for Felix tonight.

shooter2
03-01-2014, 03:17 AM
On that note, please say a prayer for our friend and mentor. He is in the hospital now with pneumonia and it is serious.

I did not know he was ill and have prayed for a full and complete recovery.

Good Cheer
03-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Prayers on the way.
Looking forward to Felix's posting range results with that lovely rifle.

Artful
03-02-2014, 12:19 AM
Great Work on that 41 Tim - Felix is a lucky fellow to find a good craftsman.

Felix - my thoughts and prayers for a full recovery in the soonest possible time for you.

felix
03-02-2014, 05:58 PM
This entire thread brought tears to my eyes for an hour. I am thoroughly honored and feel very privileged by the thoughtfulness as shown here. Nuff said. ... felix

Bullshop
03-02-2014, 06:34 PM
Congrats Felix you earned it! Enjoy that rifle, and shoot it.

waksupi
03-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Good to see you back, Felix. Now have fun with that toy.

Love Life
03-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Welcome back, Felix. Enjoy your rifle!!!

felix
03-02-2014, 07:57 PM
As of right now that gun can be only an "artful" gun. I have a long way to go to get back into a shooting condition, but when considering Tim's expression of his heart for me via that object, the gun just might have to be forever retired. Gosh, I am tearing up again, royally. ... felix

MBTcustom
03-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Felix Sir. I can't tell you what a relief it is to see your avatar. I hope you are recovering well and will make a full recovery.
Please don't hesitate to call if there is anything I can do for you.

Bullshop Junior
03-02-2014, 09:30 PM
That is a work or art. Wish my 92 looked that good

DougGuy
03-02-2014, 09:40 PM
+1 on the work of art!! The wood on there is stunning.. As is the bluing!

cbrick
03-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Well dang, sometimes I think I'm always the last to know. Prayers for a full & speedy recovery.

Rick

swheeler
03-02-2014, 10:27 PM
Looks good, Felix will get lots of enjoyment out of that!

waco
03-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Fine looking rifle Tim. Job well done. Godspeed to you Felix.

dverna
03-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Man --- what a great thread.

I can understand what Felix is feeling. I am not sure I could shoot that gun either. It is more than a "shoot'in iron"

Goodsteal - I applaud you and the depth of your character.

Don Verna

Estalio
05-15-2014, 11:01 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?241905-The-Life-Of-The-Goolden-Boolit-and-master-of-Lube-Felix