PDA

View Full Version : Pistol-Rifle T/C question

danski26
12-20-2007, 12:50 AM
Does anyone know if T/C can or will tell you by SN of a frame if it was a pistol, rifle or muzzle loader when it left the factory?

C A Plater
12-20-2007, 01:00 AM
I asked this of T/C many years ago and their answer was all Contender and Encore frames were manufactured as pistol frames.

danski26
12-20-2007, 01:04 AM
Guess that would end the discussion of wether or not converting rifle to pistol is illegal.

No_1
12-20-2007, 06:39 AM
There is a lot of discussion on that subject. I am getting into the TC realm and had the same question. I agree with CA Plater that ALL frames are originally manufactured as pistols. This would allow them to sell pistols, however, all did not leave the factory configured as such. You can call TC with your frame # and they will tell you what configuration the frame left the factory as. I found this out from a call to the factory when I was looking at frames to purchase....

Robert

Guess that would end the discussion of wether or not converting rifle to pistol is illegal.

lovedogs
12-30-2007, 10:05 PM
All you need to be sure of is to not put a pistol-lenght bbl. on a frame and then put a buttstock on it. That's illegal. It can be assembled as either a pistol or a rifle but not a combination of both. If a pistol it has to have a pistol grip, if a rifle it is allowed a buttstock. To be legal a rifle must have a bbl. of 18 inches. That's why if you put a buttstock on with a pistol bbl. it would be illegal because the bbl. isn't long enough to be legal. There are some problems in Calif. if I remember correctly but I'm not sure what they are.

jhalcott
12-30-2007, 10:29 PM
ithink the PISTOl barrel can be any length.THE rifle barrel must be at LEAST 16 inches long. The 16 1/4" barrels T/c made for the contender could be used either way.
SMOOTH bores have to be 18"

Ammohouse
12-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Its also illegal to take a Rifle frame and make a pistol out of it.
Just like cutting a rifle down to a pistol.
You need to buy a pistol frame and then you can swap between the two.
Doesn't make a lot of sense.
Are you going to get caught....probably never.
Is it worth it...no
Do you have enough money to fight it....I know I don't.
Bottom line...is it worth the risk.

lovedogs
01-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Not true. A few years ago there was a court case on this issue. If you own a T/C pistol you may put a rifle bbl. on it. Of course, you'll want to put a rifle stock and forend on it. You can also take a rifle frame and put a pistol bbl. on it... you just can't leave it with a rifle stock on it. You must put a pistol grip on it, otherwise it's classified as a rifle with too short of a bbl., thus being illegal. If I remember the legalities on this Calif. is the only state that forces you to keep it as manufactured, either pistol or rifle... not to be changed from one to the other.

Scrounger
01-01-2008, 02:59 PM
I don't believe that is correct. My recollection when I lived there is that they require dealers to sell and do paperwork on all frames and guns they sell as pistols. That sounds awkward, what I mean to say is that California considers them as pistols. Period. Carbine barrels were pretty rare anyway, only a few people like myself had them, according to what I saw. And this point was a non-problem; in real life nobody mentioned it or worried about it. Until the Internet. Call the ATF if you're really curious, but you've got a much better chance of winning the PowerBall Lottery than having an ATF agent storm into your house at 3 AM and shoot you for having too short a barrel on your frame. They really have far more important things to worry about than that, and every one I've talked to has been a nice guy to boot...

Tom W.
01-01-2008, 04:32 PM
The frames are interchangeable, as long as the configurations comprise a legal firearm..ie: rifle buttstock with rifle length barrel.You get the picture....

Ammohouse
01-03-2008, 09:09 AM
I thought the actual ruling was with the OLD TC frames and it was referencing the carbine kits that they sold back then.
Either way, I'll save my money and buy 2 frames...it ain't worth the trouble.
Here's a copy of the letter for all to read and make your own decision:
http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=239

miestro_jerry
01-03-2008, 10:07 AM
I have one frame for my pistol barrels and one frame for carbine.

I just need to get them to be the latest actions with the latest barrels mechinisms, things do not interchange between the two.

Anyone had their freames and barrels updated by T/C?

Thanks,

Jerry

danski26
01-03-2008, 03:14 PM
I had my contender frame updated by t/c a couple years ago. I returned it to them for an unrelated problem "my fault" and they updated the hammer no charge. The new hammer is much better than the one that was in it. I wonder if this kind of service will continue with the new owners??

lovedogs
01-09-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm confused about these updates you guys are talking about. All the barrels are supposed to be interchangeable on Contenders except the old chrome finished ones. The old Contender and the G2's are interchangeable as far as barrels are concerned. I can understand how you might want some of the features of the frames changed, maybe so they'd open easier or whatever. But barrels updated? I don't understand that part.

44 magnum
01-14-2008, 07:44 AM
lovedogs

I believe it has to do with the locking lugs not always doing their job. Older barrels may still have single lugs where the newer ones have a split lug. Also the lugs may need a little stoning to get them to lock up proper. I have yet to have a problem with my barrels/frames and I have old frames, "newer" easy open frames and a G2.

Paul :cool: