PDA

View Full Version : Noob top punch question...

WildcatFan
02-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Do I really have to get the exact one for each die? I'm loading 30-30, 45ACP, 44Mag, and 38Spec. Can I combine any of these? I already have the one for the 30-30.

6bg6ga
02-27-2014, 08:44 AM
What sizing machine?

WildcatFan
02-27-2014, 08:47 AM
Rcbc lam-ii

ubetcha
02-27-2014, 08:50 AM
Top punch's are designed to fit the profile of the bullet you are sizing to allow a straight push into the sizing die. So you will need to get a top punch most of the time from the manufacture of the mold to fit that nose profile. One can always use a Lee push through sizer that requires no top punch. I think Star sizers are a push through design also, But are expensive and I think need a top punch though.. There are ways to make a top punch to fit the nose design and I'm sure that others will comment on how to do that.

Wayne Smith
02-27-2014, 08:54 AM
No, you don't. Many of our boolits are flat nosed and a flat punch will work fine. I have several I filed out of brass 1/4" bolts using my drill motor. You will need a specific one for most round nose profiles and for spire points. You can modify one that you have with hot melt glue as well. Fits your boolit perfectly and is easily removable.

6bg6ga
02-27-2014, 08:56 AM
Since your RCBS is basically the same as a 4500 or 450 sizer your going to be stuck getting a top punch that matches every bullet you run thru it. Since it sizes nose first it is vital that the bullet is positioned correctly in order to sized perfectly.

My suggestion is this and please don't be offended. I would sell it and purchase a Star/Magma or Ballisti-Cast Mark VI sizing machine. You will never look back. I have owned a number of sizers and I graduated from the 450 and purchased a Magma and then a Ballisti-Cast Mark VI and then a Star. With THESE machines you can use a smaller top punch and size larger bullets. I currently size 45's with a 38 cal top punch and all is well. These sizers will size either base first or nose first depending on the punch and die used.

6bg6ga
02-27-2014, 09:02 AM
As pointed out you can throw something together. You can also choose to do it correctly and make your own top punch on a lathe. Wayne is correct in that a flat top bullet will work with a flat punch. They do however work better with a punch that is made to fit the bullet correctly. I used to have a 450 and a number of home made custom top punches. Still no substitute for a good sizing machine in my opinion.

WildcatFan
02-27-2014, 09:03 AM
I ain't offended, but I ain't rich either.

6bg6ga
02-27-2014, 09:14 AM
You can do what some of us do and that is save your dimes and quarters until you reach your goal. A person can always find a way to get what they want if they really want it. I saved up until I had enough for a Ballisti-Cast bullet casting machine. My goal was the MArk X but I settled for a Mark IV.

Walter Laich
02-27-2014, 09:15 AM
I've even used a flat punch with round nose. Puts a small 'flat' on the nose but they still came out of the barrel and hit the target.
I've modified some round nose by putting it in a drill press and working the cavity with a file or sandpaper. That worked for me.
Guess it depends on what you are using the bullet for: 1000 yd precision--probably would get the exact one called for, CAS, which I shoot, happy with what I've got

Shiloh
02-27-2014, 09:20 AM
I have half a dozen or so. I usually am able find one that fits, doesn't distort the nose, and drives it straight into the die.
So no you may not need one for every mold.

Shiloh

WildcatFan
02-27-2014, 11:46 AM
You can do what some of us do and that is save your dimes and quarters until you reach your goal. A person can always find a way to get what they want if they really want it. I saved up until I had enough for a Ballisti-Cast bullet casting machine. My goal was the MArk X but I settled for a Mark IV.

I've saved for everything I've got, sir.

6bg6ga
02-27-2014, 11:49 AM
I've saved for everything I've got, sir.

Please, I'm not a sir but a lowly peeon. I'm so low to the ground that if a snake had gas it would blow dirt in my eyes.

Its refreshing to know that I'm not alone in having to save for everything.

swheeler
02-27-2014, 11:59 AM
Since your RCBS is basically the same as a 4500 or 450 sizer your going to be stuck getting a top punch that matches every bullet you run thru it. Since it sizes nose first it is vital that the bullet is positioned correctly in order to sized perfectly.

My suggestion is this and please don't be offended. I would sell it and purchase a Star/Magma or Ballisti-Cast Mark VI sizing machine. You will never look back. I have owned a number of sizers and I graduated from the 450 and purchased a Magma and then a Ballisti-Cast Mark VI and then a Star. With THESE machines you can use a smaller top punch and size larger bullets. I currently size 45's with a 38 cal top punch and all is well. These sizers will size either base first or nose first depending on the punch and die used.

My 4500 and the old 450 both sized base first;) The flat top punch will work just fine on any bullet with a meplat, can be used on a RN to create one also and many times actually helps with alignment issues common to these type sizers.

6bg6ga
02-27-2014, 12:04 PM
Flat punch puts a flat on the round bullet. It just ain't right lol