PDA

View Full Version : Boolit wgt variation

Jal5
02-26-2014, 11:06 PM
Using NOE 22555RF these are dropping in the range of 61.3 to 62.5 gr. I separated them by 0.1

I am testing the loads and decided to keep all test rounds the same wgt boolit. Once I settle on a load what range of these should I consider good? Being more careful in pouring the BOOLITS I can make the range smaller but what's an acceptable wgt range to use? .2, .3,.4?

These will be for plinking in an AR15 DPMS 1:9 twist .223/5.56
Thanks

BABore
02-27-2014, 06:22 AM
For 22 cal I only use exact weight boolits. I assume your using a multicavity mold. Check boolit diameters for each cavity as a slight size difference can have a big affect. If the sizes are consistent, you're likely running the mold too cold. Not the pot temp. but the mold. A point or so of tin will help some too. If your mold cavities are consistent, you should be able to acheive a max weight spread of +/- 0.2 grains or less.

Jal5
02-27-2014, 07:50 PM
that was the first time I used the NOE mold so there was some variation in rhythm and pattern of dropping them thus the variation. My thought was to use the same exact wgt boolits for the tests, then once I settle on a load see how the others with variable wgts shoot. Does that make sense? All together we are talking about a gr wgt difference from lightest to heaviest one.

BABore
02-27-2014, 08:28 PM
Yes, only 1 grain, but can you imagine the size of a 1 grain sized air pocket, inclusion, or void near the perimeter on a boolit that small. I understand now that your learning a new mold and will likely get it down. Weight variation reduction to near zero is all about how you run your mold and casting cadence. 22 calibers require tight quality control for meaningful accuracy at higher velocities.