PDA

View Full Version : Lube-A-Matic II mods that make life easier

Mike W1
02-26-2014, 08:53 PM
Just did a couple more things to make life easier and see there's a number of things I've done. One to go and that should be about it. Somebody had suggested drilling the bottom of the lube pressure screw and putting a washer and cotter key so the lube plunger can't come off. Gotta look that one over and then do it. Dang thing came off yesterday and it took a 6" 3/8" bolt to retrieve it. A nuisance at best.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Mike4245/HPIM1910.jpg
Ihttp://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Mike4245/HPIM1911.jpg
I'd already made provisions to hold a bin of bullets and use a bin from my Dillon SDB to drop the lubed ones in. Easy to do 12 a minute with this setup.

Then a $1.59 1/4" drive 6 PT 1/2" socket lets me use a ratchet instead of that goofy slider thing RCBS came up with. Just cut the slot with an angle grinder and it bolts on with no mods to the lube pressure screw.

Just built a PID recently so naturally my heater is hooked up to that.

Today I took the unit out to the shop and took all the paint off the bottom of it. That paint is tough and the casting needed a little work with the file to get it flat. Some thermal grease added to that and it is one heck of a lot faster warming up and indeed seems to get a few degrees hotter. Probably can cut the output back on the PID.

Then I got rid of the bike grip on the handle and epoxied a 2-1/4" wood ball on from Hobby Lobby.

Not one of those things would I undo and only wish I'd have done them years ago.

And I borrowed every one of those ideas from most likely Cast Boolits. Anything I should do that I never saw???

Nearly forgot to thank the guy that suggested the 1/4 x 3/8 steel spacer. I don't know why RCBS couldn't have made that Bullet Ejector Screw a half inch longer but the spacer idea came through nicely for short bullets.

Airman Basic
02-26-2014, 10:12 PM
Then a $1.59 1/4" drive 6 PT 1/2" socket lets me use a ratchet instead of that goofy slider thing RCBS came up with. Just cut the slot with an angle grinder and it bolts on with no mods to the lube pressure screw.
Having a hard time picturing how to mount the socket, but I sure like the idea. More details?

Mike W1
02-26-2014, 11:15 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Mike4245/HPIM1848.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Mike4245/HPIM1847.jpg

Just cut a groove deep enough so you can stick a bolt through the existing hole in the Pressure Lube Screw.

tomme boy
02-26-2014, 11:21 PM
The problem I have with this press is the plunger spins in the reservoir so the pressure will not build up. It has been replaced 2 times by RCBS. It would be nice if there was a notch so the plunger will not rotate.

Mike W1
02-26-2014, 11:48 PM
The problem I have with this press is the plunger spins in the reservoir so the pressure will not build up. It has been replaced 2 times by RCBS. It would be nice if there was a notch so the plunger will not rotate.

Haven't had that problem myself but have seen it mentioned if you're heating the luber reducing the temperature might take care of it. That's one thing I'm enjoying with this PID controller. Dial in the temperature you want and it keeps it within a couple degree swing. Also I'd guess a bad O ring could give one fits but you probably know that already.

Catshooter
02-27-2014, 12:00 AM
Nice work. I had a II once. While cranking in a bit more pressure once one of the little black balls snapped of and the sharp edge of the shaft cut a nice groove down my wrist a ways.

I replaced the II with two I and haven't looking back.

The only thing I added to mine has been one of the Perfessor's sockets for the H&I locknut. Love that.

Cat

osteodoc08
02-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Great ideas. Can you please go into more detail with ones you have done and pictures like with the lubre pressure screw, etc.

Good work.

jjsharpshooter
02-27-2014, 12:57 PM
Like the bullet bins, will set mine up like that, will be much faster, thanks.

Mike W1
02-27-2014, 01:12 PM
I'm still trying to find the link to where the guy drilled the lube pressure screw bottom, put a washer and cotter pin on so the lube plunger can't come off. Seems like it had to have been either on this site or the CBA site and I can't find it with numerous searches. Want to do it without screwing things up and being mechanically challenged need to see just where he drilled it!

Anything else I did the pictures should make fairly clear.

tomme boy
02-27-2014, 03:10 PM
Right on the end of the screw.

Calamity Jake
02-27-2014, 04:51 PM
I'm still trying to find the link to where the guy drilled the lube pressure screw bottom, put a washer and cotter pin on so the lube plunger can't come off. Seems like it had to have been either on this site or the CBA site and I can't find it with numerous searches. Want to do it without screwing things up and being mechanically challenged need to see just where he drilled it!

Anything else I did the pictures should make fairly clear.

Drill at the very end and use a roll pin, no need for a washer, that's how I did mine
I also milled a 5/16 hex at the top for a socket.

Mike W1
02-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Right on the end of the screw.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Mike4245/PlungerScrew_zps4b0ca031.jpg

Not a good picture but it's good as I can take. Roughly the bottom 1/8" of the plunger screw isn't threaded and I guess drill the hole there, put a washer above that and use a small cotter pin to retain things. Would think a common 3/'8" washer should do the trick Sound about right?

tomme boy
02-27-2014, 05:26 PM
Move it about 2 threads up and drill a hole there. Grind a little flat first. Easier to drill that way.